Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Chris
Abandonia Homie

give us some details. what system do you have? what's the manufacturer and series of your modem, and who's your internet provider? are you behind a firewall? what type of browser do you use and do you have download accelerators? maybe these information are helpful. i just wonder why you encounter these problems only for the last weeks. let me presume your system is virus free as you reinstalled it. if you haven't changed anything else it will most probably be an exterior cause then.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 27-02-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

IM using Windows XP SP2, the modem is Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB, the provider is Belgacom skynet. My PC should be virus free because I formated my drive. Im using ZoneAlarm as firewall. NOw im using IE because it will take me ages to download MOzilla but in both browsers the things are the same - slow. I hope that will help.
Old 27-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Did your computer sport SP2 before? I heard a LOT of different complains about SP2. Most of those people who were complaining switched back to SP1.
Old 27-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #14
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

No, cuz it took me 1 night to download SP2, and I was with SP1
Old 27-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
FreeFreddy

So you don't have eMule or another P2P running on your PC anymore?

Old 27-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Did you try to call your provider already and ask them what is the DNS configuration and if they changed it recently?

If you reinstalled your whole computer then it's about sure that if those information were already in your configuration that they are not there anymore. Might be the cause of your trouble.

Look what I found at my own provider, named Cogeco. Be sure to look at step 11, that's what I'm talking about.

At step 11, my provider tell me to enter a specific DNS adress. That's because that specific DNS adress belong to them. The way I see it, if I setup this like they illustrate then my computer will always try to communicate with them directly first instead of trying to find a route to the server.

It might be a good thing to check.
Old 27-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #17
Chris
Abandonia Homie

can't help myself, but perhaps this is your problem...

just read you last post...
if you've got SP2 new on your system then it also might be this security center thingy. sp2 comes with a built-in firewall. maybe it interferes with ZA somehow. try to shut the windows firewall off, it is dissatisfactory anyway.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 28-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
Mad-E-Fact
Games Master

On a somehow related note, I have this problem after booting up my PC it takes a while (around 1 minute) until I can connect to the internet. I had that solved already, it had something to do with a bug in Win XP and DNS or IP adresses, but after reinstalling windows I have that again. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Mad-E-Fact is offline                         Send a private message to Mad-E-Fact
Old 28-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #19
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm beginning to think that this thread should be in technical stuff. Any vote for me moving it there?
Old 28-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #20
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact+Feb 28 2005, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad-E-Fact @ Feb 28 2005, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>On a somehow related note, I have this problem after booting up my PC it takes a while (around 1 minute) until I can connect to the internet. I had that solved already, it had something to do with a bug in Win XP and DNS or IP adresses, but after reinstalling windows I have that again. Does anyone know how to fix that?[/b]

I have the same (problem?) when Windows is loaded and it takes around a minute until the connecton is possible. Though I always thought it has something to do with recognizing the connection to the provider or like that...

<!--QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire
@Feb 28 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm beginning to think that this thread should be in technical stuff. Any vote for me moving it there?[/quote]
Fits well enough in there.