Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Japo
Autonomous human

Default Free online course game programming in C# from the University of Colorado

https://www.coursera.org/course/gameprogramming
Quote:
No previous programming experience required; all are welcome!
Old 27-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

That sounds nice, but it's a lot of content for two months span. It may be a bit tough for people with absolutely no experience in the area.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 27-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

An awesome find, Japo. I guess I should dust off Visual Studio, eh?

BTW: IIRC even once the courses are over Coursera still provides the materials.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh_sabugs View Post
That sounds nice, but it's a lot of content for two months span. It may be a bit tough for people with absolutely no experience in the area.
Regarding workload, it's supposed to be in the order of a traditional college course, not a regular online course. As for difficulty, I don't think it will be an issue for anyone really interested, the requirements specify that they'll teach programming from zero; still again it will take some hours every week. For people who already know programming and even object-oriented programming this course is too easy actually, so we can probably complete it faster, and hopefully learn something that we wouldn't learn faster by looking up XNA in the MSDN library...? Or at least take the time to play with a project with some guidance and a timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
An awesome find, Japo. I guess I should dust off Visual Studio, eh?
This Fall I want to take at least this one and the Aerodynamics one from MIT...
Old 28-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Well, I was comparing the workload to actual college courses. Back in the university, I learned basic algorithm programming and C over a four months course. And that was a pure algorithm/C syntax course, no focus on other technologies. Granted, I had other courses in parallel, mostly math and basic engineering subjects.

The online course proposes going over full algorithm basis, class/objects OO knowledge, and other technologies over only two months. That's why I am bit skeptical about the experience (or lack thereof) required.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 28-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh_sabugs View Post
The online course proposes going over full algorithm basis, class/objects OO knowledge, and other technologies over only two months.
Yeaaah don't you expect them to get very far in teaching any of those. It's from a university, but it looks like only a little bit of everything. I mean, if that "Teddy Bear Destruction" minigame is a sample of what we will have completed at the end of the course...

I don't see any specific mentions of algorithmics that they plan to cover, I'd bet it will be if/for/while and little more.

If you want a course about algorithms, I did this other one last year, it was interesting.

And I don't think they plan to teach object oriented patterning further than the strictly necessary to teach C# itself...

I expect this to be a very basic introduction to programming using C# together with an introduction to XNA. As for the .NET standard library, it doesn't look like they'll cover more than string manipulation, and quite basic at that. I'd actually prefer something more advanced that required some background (actually C#/.NET is by far the language I know best).
Old 28-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

TBH, I would not be surprised if the basic stuff was not part of the course curriculum itself but rather optional supplementary meterial.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman