Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
sofronija

Default How to make Alone in the Dark work

I have downloaded Alone in the Dark but when I try to play it, it asks me for images from the manual. I don't have the manual and the manuals I've found online don't seem to be the ones the game is referring to - firstly they're only a few pages long and the game is asking me to look at page 116 or whatever and secondly, the manual actually doesn't have any pictures let alone those that match those being shown to me at start up. Anyone have any ideas?
sofronija is offline                         Send a private message to sofronija
Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofronija View Post
I have downloaded Alone in the Dark but when I try to play it, it asks me for images from the manual. I don't have the manual and the manuals I've found online don't seem to be the ones the game is referring to - firstly they're only a few pages long and the game is asking me to look at page 116 or whatever and secondly, the manual actually doesn't have any pictures let alone those that match those being shown to me at start up. Anyone have any ideas?
I am not at home and thus can't download and try the game myself... However, are you sure you are using the right file to start the game? Oftentime you'll have a .bat or a .com including the patch or the crack for the game so you can bypass the copy protection. I suggest that you look for such files and try them.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
sofronija

Default No such file

There's not a .com or .bat in there. Most are .pak
sofronija is offline                         Send a private message to sofronija
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

list the files in your directory and post it
Old 17-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
sofronija

Default Files

These are all the files:

ALONE, CAMERA00.PAK - CAMERA07.PAK, COMMAND, CONFIG.TAT, DEFINES.ITD, ENDSEQ.PAK, ENGLISH.PAK, ETAGE00.PAK - ETAGE07.PAK, FRANCAIS.PAK, IMPORTNT, INDARK.CC1, INFO.CC1, INFO.TAT, ITD_RESS.PAK, LISTANI2.PAK, LISTANIM.PAK, LISTBOD2.PAK, LISTBODY.PAK, LISTLIFE.PAK, LISTMUS.PAK, LISTSAMP.PAK, LISTTRAK.PAK, OBJETS.ITD, PARK, PRESENT.PAK, PRIORITY.ITD, TATOU, TEST.FIL, TFL, VARS.ITD
Old 17-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.

Your folder options are set to "don't show exe and protected /system files....".
Run the game with alone ,that will do fine.
BTW, the AB version is cracked, simply hit < enter > when starting the game.
(Just tested the game myself)

I hope you're running the game in dosbox....?
You didn't give much details .

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 18-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In fact, the problem about the missing extention is that Windows retardely default the viewing options as to hide the extention of file of a known type. .EXE and .TXT are two known types by default, and thus never appear.

You need to go in your folder options and select the box to allow the viewing of extention of known types.

This is one of the retarded options of Windows that I absolutely have to change whenever I work on a computer...
Old 19-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
sofronija

Default That worked but still problems

I have now got the game working. Unfortunately there is no sound. I've managed to put sound effects to 'on' but that makes no difference and the games stays completely silent. I can't make 'music' on the options page change to 'on' at all.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Saccade
[BANNED]

You need to run the game's setup to configure the sound and music but, if you downloaded it from here, it should already be set up correctly to run in DosBox.

Are you running the game straight from Windows Explorer (my computer)?
If I run the game by double-clicking the .bat file to start the game from Windows, the sound doesn't work at all.
Probably because my windows sound settings are different to the ones that my copy of Dosbox, and the game, is configured to use.

The sound also doesn't work if I don't start the game using the batch (.bat) file, using the command executables instead. I think that the Tatou file needs some switches or to be started in a certain order/way.
Dunno.

I do know that, if you can't get the game you've downloaded from here to run, with sound, with cracked copy-protection, by using Dosbox - I have another version of it (it starts out in French, the credits and intro, but the rest of the game is in English) that you could grab.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade