Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Yo readers! Right here on community reviews, Im gonna open my own section. I call it..

Chosen Arcade!

Since I love arcade games, I decided to review some and also recommend some. All of these games are played with MAME-emulator, since there is no real arcade in Lappeenranta.

The first game I'l look on is a little special. Its from Sega and its based on a musical license. Its not movie, but the plot feels like its been ripped of from a movie:

The evil bad guy called Mr. Big, an insidious drug dealer, has kidnapped small children. Yup. Small children. No reason has been told (maybe he realised that children are the future...or something like that). Plus, he's planning to build a giant laser cannon on moon. With this, he's planning to take over the world! But hold on! Since this is a video game, there is gonna be someone who will save us and beat Mr.Big. And who that guy will be?

Michael Jackson.

Thats right. Michael Jackson in...

Yup. Its based on Michael Jacksons movie (which I havent seen). If you never knew that he had a movie (I didnt know until 5 minutes ago!), read this.

Anyway, Sega (And Michael) have appearantly made an very good piece of arcade action. Despite the humorous plot and the fact that Michael saves kids *shudder*, the game is very good....If you dont despise beat'em ups that is.

The game consist of five levels which, like in ever Beat'em-up game, are loaded with different types of baddies. These baddies consist of Smooth Criminals like shooting gangsters, knife swinging freaks, different types of robots and even some undead. Michael has to kick everyone's arse's with his magic. Michael can do magical...uh...showers...which will do melee damage. Not the greatest choice ever, but this give's game a good challenge.

One of the best parts of the game are Michaels dance attacks. These mega moves make's every criminal on the screen dance and Michael himself does his signature dance-moves. After that...Boom! No more smoothies!

The game also has multiplayer possibility. Up to three players can play on the same machine (or computer, If youre using MAME) and that, as usual, is cool basic multiplaying fun. I once tried it trought the internet and despite some connection problems, it was fun.

Something bad? Maybe. As an arcade game, this only has five levels, which can be easily beaten If youre playing on MAME (I always use only one coin. Its more of a challenge). Also, since there are lots of baddies (or smooth criminals. Its your choice), the game is kinda of hard.

As for the final result, Il give this game **** stars, because its Super fun (or weird) and its beat'em-up game.

Googled screenshots:

*Michael dancing of with some self-destructive robots*

*Smooth criminals surround our hero!*

*The day at the "Smooth criminal" music video set*

*I wonder if that criminal is actually doing the right thing...*

*NOTE: Do not confuse this to a Master System game. It has the same name, but its more a platformer*

Thats all for now. Tune in next time for some more arcade action. If you want to see a certain arcade game reviewed by me, recommend it to me. Im TheChosen and this is the Chosen Arcade!
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

I never herd of this version.. only about the basic 2D platformer one.
Old 13-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Pietafon
Abandonia nerd

Heh - I've still had the original C-64 tape version of this game with a Michael Jackson poster

War... War never changes...
God, protect me from my friends. I'll get through with my enemies by myself.
Pietafon is offline                         Send a private message to Pietafon
Old 15-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
JJXB
Pi-voh

played this version and i thought it was ok.

random fact: the engine is shared with the sonic the hedgehog arcade game
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 21-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Here is another MJ game.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 26-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

:eek: Nice graphics! Old games - I love them! Have to find a nice community about this treasures. I heard of that "Abandonia" thingy - does anybody know more?

Last edited by Luchsen; 28-11-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Signature
Luchsen is offline                         Send a private message to Luchsen