Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
RobsomeAwesome

Cool Voglestien 2D (Android OS)

Hey there,
I was browsing the Play Store for a Quake 3 Arena conversion, when I came across this little gem of a game. It's pretty fun, and addictive for a free game.

What it is:
So we've all played Wolf3d, made by ID Software. Voglestien 2D is actually, you guessed it, 2D wolfenstien. The controls are great. Not perfect, but close. The left "joystick" is for movement, and the right is for shooting. You don't really have to aim, but you do have to be in range of the enemys. I have yet to beat it, but so far the first 4 levels are the EXACT same layout as the original. The sounds are a tad different. You don't hear "Up Sarge!" when you agro an enemy and the death sounds are not the same. Health packs (little red bulbs of stuff) give you 10 hp per pickup and ammo clips are 6 rounds each. The pistol and mp40 both use the same ammo.

I give this game a 9/10 rating due to not using the original sounds. But the developer probably couldn't due to copyrights and blah blah.If you were a Wolf3D junkie then you'll love this game for your mobile phone or tablet.

I highly recommend this game.

Last edited by RobsomeAwesome; 12-11-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling and what not. (silly android keyboard. )
RobsomeAwesome is offline                         Send a private message to RobsomeAwesome
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
RobsomeAwesome

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M4aTNh_oihA

There's the commercial for it.
RobsomeAwesome is offline                         Send a private message to RobsomeAwesome
Old 12-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Never heard of it, but it's not available for PC, right?

The screenshots are none too impressive I'm afraid.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
RobsomeAwesome

You could get a virtural instance of android os running on your pc and download the apk. that's the only way I can think to play it on the pc. And it's ment to be a simple game with low graphics, so it can run on older phones or tablets.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Zaru
Abandonia nerd

As much as I like Wolf3D and have a big sentiment to it, Vogelstein didn't impress me at all. I think the authors thought about doing something retro-styled, but 2D style simply doesn't fit Wolf. I'd rather play Catacomb Abyss for the N-th time than this. To me it feels too much SNESish.
But that's of course only my opinion.
Zaru is offline                         Send a private message to Zaru
Old 24-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thumbs down

If only the graphics didn't look like 20-year-old amateurish one-man shareware production... I was doing 3D graphics back in 1994, dammit... I don't mind simplicity, but do it with a style: http://www.kongregate.com/games/idoy...nal-quest-demo
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS