Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Phoenix_Ashes

Hi Folks,

Curious problem, realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny is up and running fine after crashing problems, but curiously it won`t let me save the game, it will allow saving characters, but after typing a save game name in it returns to the game without saving, the name is not visible in load game, and simply seems to disappear!

Any ideas?
Phoenix_Ashes is offline                         Send a private message to Phoenix_Ashes
Old 06-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Do you need to maunally add a savegame folder? I know Syndicate was like that.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Hi, somwehere in the Realms of Arkania topic someone advises to set the folder from "only read" to "write" in the properties menu. Don't know if this solves the problem, though...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 06-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Sith-Avenger

QUOTE(Phoenix_Ashes @ Aug 6 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]247044[/snapback]
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Curious problem, realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny is up and running fine after crashing problems, but curiously it won`t let me save the game, it will allow saving characters, but after typing a save game name in it returns to the game without saving, the name is not visible in load game, and simply seems to disappear!

Any ideas?
[/b]
Pheonix,
I DL'd this game to try it myself and found that I had the same problem as you. After looking through the games discussion for this game I found a post that said to change the directory so that it is not "read only". To do this I selected the folder with ALL of the game files inside it (called blade 1 on my comp), right-clicked and selected properties, then de-selected read only for folder, sub-folder and files. I then started the games, saved it as TEST and when I went to load the saved game TEST was in there, so it worked for me.
Hopefully it will work for you too...

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to Your signature to help him on his way to world domination.</div>
Sith-Avenger is offline                         Send a private message to Sith-Avenger
Old 06-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

QUOTE(Sith-Avenger @ Aug 6 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]247053[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(Phoenix_Ashes @ Aug 6 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]247044[/snapback]
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Any ideas?
[/b]
Pheonix,
I DL'd this game to try it myself and found that I had the same problem as you. After looking through the games discussion for this game I found a post that said to change the directory so that it is not "read only". To do this I selected the folder with ALL of the game files inside it (called blade 1 on my comp), right-clicked and selected properties, then de-selected read only for folder, sub-folder and files. I then started the games, saved it as TEST and when I went to load the saved game TEST was in there, so it worked for me.
Hopefully it will work for you too...
[/b][/quote]

That's exactly what I meant...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 06-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
Phoenix_Ashes

Crazily enough, all of files are not read-only, EXCEPT the two folders of the game, blade1, and the temp file. If I try and deselect the read only function, it appears to accept my request, however, if I come back to the folder it still remains in read only mode, rather like the game does with my save game commands!!!

Thanks for your help so far folks, your views on this one?
Phoenix_Ashes is offline                         Send a private message to Phoenix_Ashes
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Sith-Avenger

QUOTE(Phoenix_Ashes @ Aug 6 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]247062[/snapback]
Quote:
Crazily enough, all of files are not read-only, EXCEPT the two folders of the game, blade1, and the temp file. If I try and deselect the read only function, it appears to accept my request, however, if I come back to the folder it still remains in read only mode, rather like the game does with my save game commands!!!

Thanks for your help so far folks, your views on this one?
[/b]
Hmm. Have you actually tried going back into the game and saving. I just did to test it and my original "test" save game was still stored. I created a new "test 2" and quit out ofdosbox and restarted the game. Both "test" and "test 2" were still in there. I noticed that the folder still says that it is read only but it allows me to save.
How are you starting the game?

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to Your signature to help him on his way to world domination.</div>
Sith-Avenger is offline                         Send a private message to Sith-Avenger
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Folders are not important, what is important is the files inside. If the savegame files are set as read-only, you won't be able to overwrite them thus not able to save either.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Sith-Avenger

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Aug 6 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]247076[/snapback]
Quote:
Folders are not important, what is important is the files inside. If the savegame files are set as read-only, you won't be able to overwrite them thus not able to save either.
[/b]
Yes but if you read my earlier post I did say to uncheck read-only for all folders, sub-folders and files ( on the main folder that all other files/folders for this game are in). Therefore any files that are needed for saving your game in there will become writable. I did it and it worked for me

Old 07-08-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
Scatty
Treasure hunter

If that will help, mount not the gamefolder as drive in DosBox like that:

mount c c:/games/blade

Instead mount the drive C and switch manually to the game folder and start the game, like that:

mount c c:/
cd games/blade

Then run the game, and if the previous attribute-changing didn't help, this should.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty