Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
TheSmyth
Abandonia nerd

Question

As a sort of spin off from this topic: http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5036

What sequels do you think were superior to the originals (or even the previous sequels) and I'm talking gameplay, and potential to do things within the game world here. Not just prettier graphics and sound?

And Why?

My personal choices would be:

1) GTA3 - The leap to a fully 3d world from GTA2 opened up endless possibilities for more fun.
2) C&C RedAlert2 - More tactical, better balance of units.
3) Diablo 2 - Much more to do in the game, better player / enemy balance... And great online play.
TheSmyth is offline                         Send a private message to TheSmyth
Old 13-05-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Warcraft 2 is better than the firsrt one, and not only in the graphic, but also in the gameplay, in the controls and in the story! Mantaining the same atmosphere!
Old 13-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I haven't played that many sequels, really, but I found Day of the Tentacle a lot funnier (and less frustrating to play) than Maniac Mansion.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is a better game than Indiana Jones and the last Crusade in my opinion, because there are a lot more things to do and more puzzles to solve (some of which are even logical for a change). The graphics are better (I thought they were marvellous when I first played the game ) and the music isn't as annoying as that beeping PC speaker. Plus you can choose between several ways and if you're a lousy fistfighter :whistle: you can still win the game without having to fight a single fight thanks to the "knockout key". But for those people who like the fistfights, there's always the option of picking a fight with Arnold...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 13-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
UnHoly
Super Freak

- Indiana Jones and of the Atlantis, I mostly agree with A. J. Raffles
- Fallout 2, more complex than the first one
- Doom 2, lot longer, few monsters added, and much more action pumped than the first one (I love mindles shooting :evil: )

There are propably few more, but I'm to lazy and I don't want to waste time on remembering them
UnHoly is offline                         Send a private message to UnHoly
Old 13-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
BlackMageJawa
Game Wizzard

Not a PC game, but I think that Dark Cloud 2 (AKA Dark Chronicle) deserves a mention. Because Dark Cloud was dreadful, while the sequel is actually very good indeed.

The improvement between Zone of the Enders (nice idea, shame about the execution) and ZoE: The Second Runner (Mind-blowingly awesome) is also very noticable.

Worst sequel ever: No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M's Way. The first NOLF is, IMO, the best single player experience to be had from any FPS ever. NOLF2 was just... ugh.
BlackMageJawa is offline                         Send a private message to BlackMageJawa
Old 17-05-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
MdaG
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to MdaG Send a message via AIM to MdaG Send a message via MSN to MdaG Send a message via Yahoo to MdaG

Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion 2)
- Funnier and really well done!

Fallout 2
- Bigger and more complex. No timed quest!

Monkey Island 2
- Basically took everything in Monkey 1 and made it better.

System Shock 2
- The first one never really scared me, but the second was really creepy

Frontier (Elite 2)
- More complex than the first one. Never played First Encounter though.

Eye of the Beholder 2
- Just plain better than the first game.

Other than that I can't think of any game that is actually BETTER than the first one.
MdaG is offline                         Send a private message to MdaG
Old 17-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

none of the C&C games were as good as the first one - best music, best bad acting (possibly the best bad acting in the world, although Madonna and Tanya in RA come close).

Civ 2 was a huge improvement on the first one (actually, more bad acting there - maybe that's what I go for...).

Oh, Worms 3D - that rules, although up until then they'd been getting worse; the first one with the addon was the best 2D one.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 17-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Doom 2 better than Doom 1
More weapons, monsters, levels and music

Diablo II (way) better than the first
Diablo I was excellent when it came out, but somehow blizzard managed to topple it with this sequel.Great work.

Settlers 2 better than the first
Gameplay issues, more buildings, better interface, the best in the series me thinks

Heroes II
Best in the series, simply briliant, graphics better than the first and it's latter sequels, although the third installment also has very good graphic.More units, animations, you name it(compared to it's prequel)

Warcraft 2
Way better than the first.Graphics, gameplay, sound, etc.Better than the third even, in my opinion

There are many more examples, but i'm lazy :P
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 18-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Star Control was a well-done arcade game, but Star Control 2 added an RPG/strategy game and relegated the arcade to combat mode, only. Unfortunately, Star Control 3 was up to the same level, but it was also done by different developers.

I think the Civilization games have marked improved through all three releases.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin