Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Abandoned Times
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Lightbulb

What about if you divide the issue into three chapters?

Chapter 1 will have some kind of comic about the AB mods (who are some kind of superheroes or something that either save the world or their forum from nasty trolls and the bots of havoc). Fight scenes will be anime-ish; or you could have the cute little AB mascot be a superhero and go on these different adventures and stuff (with several references to your favorite classic video game thrown in every now and then). When the cartoon is over, you can heavily advertise your site on the next two or three pages.

Just a thought for the first section.

Chapter 2 should have all the goodies; reviews, rants, critiques, things like that. The usual stuff (and maybe each author can make their own little cartoons out of a few of the in-game pics like Encyclopedia Obscura does). Oh; and maybe throw in a quote or two from some folks in the forums who commented either on the game or made some totally funny/awesome observation (kinda like what Wired Magazine does sometimes in the beginning of their magazine).

Anyways...

Chapter three can be some fan-made comic about a particular video game; maybe Teenagent, maybe Raptor: Call of Shadows, maybe Resident Evil. And you can break the comic up into serials so that people will be anxiously awaiting the next issue! Or you can be like all the other newspapers and just do a funny little comic (albeit loosely based off of some video game) at the end of the magazine that will give your audience a good laugh (something like this or this)
jfritzyb is offline                         Send a private message to jfritzyb
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
For pre-2000's titles, you've pretty much got Wolfenstein, Doom and then the Quakes and some of their clones. Not much otherwise IIRC.
True; add limited Internet reach to the equation.
Mostly we got just user created content, not mods - new planes for flight simulators (MSFS, EAW) or new levels for Warcraft II etc.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 07-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't think the magazine should include Abandonia forums inside jokes. A comic strip would be nice of course--although it's not the same if it isn't issued frequently enough--but it should try to make sense for the general gaming public, I think.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Besides, when I read comic stripes with inside jokes in 15-year-old gaming magazines, they're bad. Waste of space & effort. Funny quotes from games would be much better.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Sorry for not being clearer; by quotes, I mean like for example somebody on the forum making a observation about a game that accurately summarizes the game but in a humorous way or a slightly comical remark about the characters. Quotes somewhat like these, "Kirby is very unique because he's the first cannibal in video game history who steals super powers from his opponents by devouring them--literally" or "Mario is a druggie's dream come true; I mean, who else can eat mushrooms and grow two feet taller? Or eat a leaf and fly?" or "Why does Guybrush from Monkey Island look like a girl (or "pansy" if you're from Europe)?"
Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #16
jfritzyb
Forum hobbit

Cool

Oh and one more thing; I think it would be cool if you put some of Lulu's art on the back of the magazine.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

So I thought I'd like to share my thoughts so they wouldn't get wasted despite this project is dead and is likely to be for ages. There was an article in Issue 1 that could be continued - the Fallout vs. Fallout 3. This topic could be an everlasting source of reviews, well, if we have people to write them: Then And Now. We know there have always been reboots and remakes and seemingly everlasting series - we could show people where are the roots of today's great hits, and where may possibly end up. Think of it as taking a glance at The Elder Scrolls' history, from Arena to Skyrim. It's always nice to see what we used to play, and to guess what we will in the next years. We could also write something like this about Ultima, Wizardry, even Grand Theft Auto and such. Plenty of series to compare. I hope we'll once see another issue in this life

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker