Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #51
Red Sandwich

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I was at that stage using the Carryall to ferry my Harvesters but all five were consumed by the worms while the Harvesters were in the process of actually harvesting. I'm also not sure of the idea of feeding the worms. What I failed to mention in my previous post was that they had also taken two Trikes, two Quads and at least one Tank - I suspect that it may have been more than one.

Anyway I've subsequently tried shooting them, first with a Quad (which didn't last long before it was consumed) and then with a standard tank. The tank was also eventually consumed but I guess it must have caused fatal damage as a little later I got the screen shake and the death roar of the worm.

I eventually completed that scenario at my third attempt (just). On my second attempt I didn't build a rocket tower early enough and had my refinery taken out (while I had zero credit) by an Ordos Ornithopter which fired missiles into it until it vanished in a ball of flame.

On the third attempt I discovered that Ordos rocket towers fire further than the Harkonnen ones. They cannot be safely taken out by rocket tanks as I was doing previously. That makes it very hard to attack an Ordos base. I scraped home with zero credit and by using my last tank to destroy two wind traps, shielding it from a nearby tower by hiding it behind one of my harvesters.

I've also just tried the next scenario (warning: spoiler). This started quietly enough but after a while was subjected to an almost contanst stream of both Harkonnen and Ordos armour and heavy infantry which rapidly overcame my defences and then obliterated my base. :angry:

This scenario is going to take a bit of brainwork to try and think of a way of dealing with such an attack (unless of course the scenarion is not supposed to be winable.)
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 08-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #52
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Sandwich@Mar 8 2006, 02:36 AM
Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I was at that stage using the Carryall to ferry my Harvesters but all five were consumed by the worms while the Harvesters were in the process of actually harvesting. I'm also not sure of the idea of feeding the worms. What I failed to mention in my previous post was that they had also taken two Trikes, two Quads and at least one Tank - I suspect that it may have been more than one.

Anyway I've subsequently tried shooting them, first with a Quad (which didn't last long before it was consumed) and then with a standard tank. The tank was also eventually consumed but I guess it must have caused fatal damage as a little later I got the screen shake and the death roar of the worm.

I eventually completed that scenario at my third attempt (just). On my second attempt I didn't build a rocket tower early enough and had my refinery taken out (while I had zero credit) by an Ordos Ornithopter which fired missiles into it until it vanished in a ball of flame.

On the third attempt I discovered that Ordos rocket towers fire further than the Harkonnen ones. They cannot be safely taken out by rocket tanks as I was doing previously. That makes it very hard to attack an Ordos base. I scraped home with zero credit and by using my last tank to destroy two wind traps, shielding it from a nearby tower by hiding it behind one of my harvesters.

I've also just tried the next scenario (warning: spoiler). This started quietly enough but after a while was subjected to an almost contanst stream of both Harkonnen and Ordos armour and heavy infantry which rapidly overcame my defences and then obliterated my base. :angry:

This scenario is going to take a bit of brainwork to try and think of a way of dealing with such an attack (unless of course the scenarion is not supposed to be winable.)
1st - you must have your tank (rocket launcher ) on solid ground when you shoot the worm. that way they (your tanks) can't be eaten.

2nd- if you ever saw movie or read the book then you would know that worms respond to surface movements. so haversters are actually attracting them. that's why you need to keep an eye on them and try to remove them at the right time.

3rd - here is a hint - the enemies might not attack you until you build a refinery (that will be first wave). once you build it and succesfully divert enemy attack (use turrets ot help you) wait a bit untill you get a little bit more money (build a silo and save it a bit more). then build turret defence first (and wall) and only then build the heavy weapons factory. because once you put it there you will encounter second wave of attack (by that i mean large forces attacking you). this time they will attack the heavy weapons factory. since you know that you can predict where they will go and build either turrets along the road or near the factory itself. if you have some money saved you can easilly and fast build the tanks.

4th - if configuraiton of terain allows you put some bazzoka soldiers on high ground (brown area) because tanks won't be able to get to them and the can shoot at tanks.

5th - worms are tough. and even with special artreides wepon you will need a few to actually kill them. that's why i usually feed them at lower stage. and also i try to take my havester off at the right time. so the worm consumes either enemy tanks trying to destroy my harvester or the worm is attracted by computer harvester and is eating them instead of mine.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #53
Red Sandwich

Many thanks for the additional advice which I found useful. I managed to complete that mission; I found that the palace was essential to my victory.

The fist wave of attacks on my base wasn't triggered by construction of a refinery. It didn't happen until I had build a repair centre. I don't know if that was causative or simply a coincidence but attacks seemed to be aimed at that building. At that point I has also built wind traps (X2), radar outpost, refinery, small vehicle factory, silos and canon turrets (X3). I think that the large vehicle factory was the last building that I erected. It did cause an additional wave of attacks and was demolished once.

Eventually I scraped home with zero cash but a few units to spare.

Now comes the last mission. I've tried this three times so far without success. The problem with this one is that it doesn't matter how good your base's defences are - if they are sufficient then you can get through the first wave of attacks without too much difficulty - it's the Death Hand missiles which are the real problem. As far as I know, you can do nothing to defend against them and if one hits your construction yard then you are completely stuffed. On my last attempt the very first missile hit the bulls-eye.
Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #54
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

ah there is a trick in Dune 2 with missiles.

speed up the game and they will loose accuracy, slow down the game speed and the will gain accuracy.

so when you hear the death missile approaching speed up the game and hopefully it won't be a direct hit, but a miss or damage some not so important structures. save often and reaload if they destroyed your base.

no other way but luck in this one.

once you gain sufficient forces use them to destroy their palace as fast as possible.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 13-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #55
Red Sandwich

Thanks for the suggestions.

However, I was running the game on the fast setting and the missiles were still accurate enough to hit my construction yard. Also, re: the MCV. I considered that as a possible solution but there's a problem with it. In this scenario you start with fewer credits (I think it's probably 1000) which doesn't get you very far. Specifically I think I was able to build a refinery, wind traps (X2), radar outpost and about 5 rocket turrets. The latter also required harvested ore to complete them. Then the raids started: first a Death Hand missile and immediately after, hordes if tanks and infantry and further missile strikes. So I had no factories at all and from that point on all credit obtained by my one harvester went on repairing the damage which was being caused to the base. Sadly, attepting to build an MCV just wasn't possible.

Surviving the start of the last scenario really does just seem to be a matter of luck!

(Unless anyone has found an alternative approach - other than cheating).
Old 18-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #56
_M@gno

Arrow

I didn't get to the latest level playing with the Harkonnen, but I can remember a tip that worked in the SEGA version of this game (the version that i played when i was about 8 years old (it was a better version than the PC one)):
The first Death Hand that you can launch when you build the palace is 100% accurate; so, if you know where is the enemy's construction yard... well... you know... you get the job done.
_M@gno is offline                         Send a private message to _M@gno
Old 24-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #57
Red Sandwich

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Mar 18 2006, 01:34 AM
Each mission got a limited number of constuctions to be build at the same time by the player. U can got a total of 10 buildings by example, if one is destroyed you can rebuild it but u never can got 11 buildings at the same time.
In last mission, u got a full tech tree and a too low number of allowed buildings, so if u got the palace, the rapair and the heavy Fac/Spaceport, u can live even without the building yard and without buying a MCV. Its a exahustion war strat but i done it k:
Many thanks for the clarification.

That is all very well but I am nowhere near being able to build the spaceport or palace. In the last scenario you start with only 1000 credits which I think is fewer than in any of the other scenarios. After I receive delivery of a harvester I can just get a few basic structures built (e.g. radar post, a couple of wind traps) and about 4 or 5 rocket turrets before the missile strikes and the onslaught of infantry and tanks against my base start. From that point onwards ALL credits that I receive from harvesting go on repairing the damage that my base is taking. There are no credits spare which I could use to undertake further building until the intensity of the infantry and tank attacks eases off.

So as I said in previous posts, if one of those missiles hits my construction yard then it is "Game Over" and that has been the case every time I have tried to play this scenario.
Old 15-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #58
Dime

here is some help how to answer the copy protection questions.You need to recognise the unit that has been described in the picture, but you better save the game before finishing every level so you can try again if you make a mistake. Lot of the units especialy vehicles are very similar so good luck trying to tell them apart.

The game will show you a picture of a unit or structure without
the name of the unit. A description of the picture is provided, it is in
parenthesis. You will be asked a question about the particlular unit.
This is a list of the structures and Vehicles with a short description and
the statistics for what you could be asked about them.

Structures

Concrete Slab- Type: Foundation Material: Gravel/Sand base mix Weight: 1,469
kg Armor: Medium

Walls- Type: Defensive Wall Material: Gravel/Sand base mix Weight: 2,245 kg
Armor: Medium

Wind Trap- (looks like two half domes with turbines next to them) Type: Power
Plant Armor: Light Armament: None Generators: ESkort 650 hp EL-2A Dual
Turbine

Refinery- (there is a helipad in the lower right of the picture and there is a
pipe with a shut off valve on the left) Type: Industrial Facility Armor: Medium
Armament: none Capacity: 1000 spice units

Spice Silos-(two cylindrical structures with small pipes leading from them)
Type: Storehouse Armor: Light Armament: None Capacity: 1000 spice units

Outpost- (looks like a Bunker with a parking lot, there are four sattelite
dishes on top and one on the side, plus there is a quad parked out front) Type:
Military/Surveillance Structure Armor: Heavy Armament: None

Turret- (A tower with a big cannon in it, looks similar to the ones in The
Empire Strikes Back) Type: Ground Based Turret Armor: Heavy Armament: 105mm
cannon Elevation: 0 to 20 degrees Range: 100m

Rocket Turret- (Same as above but with two rocket launchers, and it is facing
leftish) Type: Ground based Turret Armor: Heavy Armament: 105mm cannon/Twin
missile launchers Elevation: 0 to 20 degrees Range: 100m/1000m

Construction Yard- (A bulldozer on the left side, a stack of steel beams on the
right, and a big hook hanging from the sky) Type: Production Facility Armor:
Medium Armament: none

Barracks- (Four buildings arranged to make a square, and there are a bunch of
little people in the courtyard) Type: Production Facility Armor: Medium
Armament: none Capacity: N/A

WOR Trooper Training Facility- (looks sort of like a castle, there is a huge
sand dune in the background, and a whole lot of satellite dishes on the top left
of the building, lots of tiny people out front) Type: Production Facility
Armor: Medium

Light Factory- (There is a Quad in the foreground, and a crane is moving an axle
just behind it) Type: Production Facility Armor: Medium Armament: none
Capacity: N/A

Heavy Factory- (A Huge Warehouse with Siege Tanks Rolling out of it, barrels are
just visible on the lower left side) Type: Production Facility Armor: Medium

High Tech Factory- (Dome in the background, and there are several Ornithopters
parked on the left side, also ther is a windvane and a Carryall on the leftside)
The stats are the same as the Heavy Factory

Repair Facility- (there is a tank being moved overhead, and there are a couple
of guys fixing it) Type: Industrial Facility Armor: Medium Armament: none
Capacity: N/A

IX Research Center- (Three wierd looking structures, it is a bluish green color
and it has lots of windows, plus lots of big rocks out front) Type: Technology
Facility Armor: Medium Armament: none

Starport- (Huge open area, tall tower on the right side and smaller towers on
the left side. Also there is a hanger on the left side and some barrels on the
right side) Type: Advanced Structure Armor: Heavy Armament: none Capacity:
N/A

Palace- (Looks like the front of the palace in "Alladin", there is a quad on the
right side and a computer terminal on the left side) Type: Capitol Building
Armor: Heavy Armament: none

UNITS

Harvester- (A box shaped van with tank treads. Nuff Said) Type: Spice Recovery
Vehicle Armament: none Speed: 32 km/h (tracked) Armor: Medium Crew: 5

MCV Mobile Construction Vehicle- (Ten Wheeled Truck with a crane on top) Type:
Base Deployment Vehicle Armament: none Speed: 36 km/h Armor: Medium Crew: 15

Infantry- (two guys with handguns hiding behind a rock) Type: Ground Based
Military Units Armament: 9mm RP Assault Rifles Speed: 5 km/h (foot) Armor:
light Units: 1 to 3

Troopers- (A couple of guys in Power Suits that look like they could wipe out
several Battalions of normal troops, one is holding a gatling gun) Type: Ground
Based Military units Armament: 10mm Rotary Cannons Speed: 12 km/h (foot)
Armor: Light
Units: 1 to 3

Trike- (Three Wheeled Vehicle that is sand colored, is it has Blue/Green Stripes
it is NOT a Trike) Type: Light Recon/Strike Vehicle Armament: Dual 20mm cannons
Speed: 72 km/h (wheel) Armor: Light Crew: 2

Quad- (Looks like a Hummer [Army Jeep] with dual cannons) Type: Light Attack
Vehicle Armament: Dual 30mm Cannons Speed: 59 km/h (wheel) Armor: Light
Crew: 2

Combat Tank- (plain old Tank, and looks like one, too) Type: Medium Battle Tank
Armament: 155mm gun Speed: 40 km/h (tracked) Armor: Medium Crew: 2

Missile Tank- (looks like the name and is the color of sand and has white
missiles. If it has Blue/Green stripes and Black missiles it is something else)
Type: Battlefield Support Vehicle Armament: Missile Launcher Speed: 48 km/h
(tracked)
Armor: Medium Crew: 3

Siege Tank- (The name says it all, this tank is BIG. Color of Sand) Type: Main
Battle Tank Armament: Dual 155mm cannons Speed: 32 km/h (tracked) Armor:
Heavy Crew: 3

Carryall- (A Jumbo jet with two back legs and no midsection) Type: Airborne
Unit Armament: None Speed: 160 km/h (airborne) Armor: Light Crew: 4

Ornithopter- (A helicopter with no rotary blades, but has M-Flap Wings) Type:
Close Support Attack Aircraft Armament: Battle Support Rockets Speed: 340 km/h
(Airborne) Armor: Light Crew: 2

SPECIAL UNITS

Sand Worm- (About to eat a quad for lunch) Type: Creature of Dune Armament:
Appetite Armor: Heavy Speed: 56 km/h

Fremen- (Nomads with assault rifles) Type: Ground Based Military Units
Armament: 10mm Assault rifles/Rockets Speed: 17 km/h (foot) Armor: Light
Units: Unknown

Sonic Tank- (looks like a missile tank, but the launcher has been replaced with
a cone-shaped thing, it is is an open field of grass) Type: Advanced Battle
Tank Armament: Sonic Amplifier Speed: 44 km/h (tracked) Armor: Medium Crew:
2 House: Atreides

Deviator- (A Missile Tank that has Blue/Green stripes and Black Missiles) Type:
Battlefield Support Vehicle Armament: Missile Launcher Speed: 48 km/h
(tracked) Armor: Medium Crew: 3 House: Ordos

Raider- (A Trike with Blue/Green Stripes) Type: Quick Strike Vehicle Armament:
Dual 20mm cannons Speed: 90 km/h (wheel) Armor: Light Crew: 2 House: Ordos

Saboteur- (A man with a cape jumping down a sand dune at night) Type: Espionage
Unit Armament: Unknown Speed: 95 km/h (trike) Armor: Light Crew: 1 House:
Ordos

Death Hand- (A Ballistic Missile) Type: Battlefield Support Missile
Dimensions: 8.12m (length) Warhead: H355 HS cluster bomb Guidance: Inertial
Range: 1120km House: Harkonnen

Devastator- (The name says it all, A HUGE red tank with two cannons) Type:
Advanced Battle Tank Armament: Dual 190mm guns Speed: 20 km/h (tracked)
Armor: Heavy Crew: 3 House: Harkonnen

Sardaukar- (A heavily armored person with a six-rocket launcher on his shoulder
and three viewing ports in the helmet) Type: Ground Based Military Units
Armament: Classified Units: 3 Armor: Light Speed: 15 km/h House: Emporer

I hope I was of some help

Dime is offline                         Send a private message to Dime
Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #59
milusus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andyc @ Oct 21 2004, 08:21 PM) [snapback]18951[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
5: Infantry and troopers are almost pointless here - I find it hard to capture buildings, due to the speed at which repairs are conducted (so it's hard to keep the enemy building in the "red zone" in terms of health). Also, they are soooo slow, and can all run over by even the slowest tank. However, I think they can be used as a sacrifice to those sandworms (I think these disappeared either if you hurt one by more than 50%, or if it had swallowed a certain number of units).
[/b]
Well, not really, I let the enemy harvester run over a troopers and (in most cases) the harvester stops harvesting - it is very usefull trick k:

Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 AM   #60
melthas
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(another_guest @ Aug 7 2006, 04:00 AM) [snapback]247088[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
But terribly bugged...
[/b]
The patches on abandonia removes the bugs and freezes. Most importantly it removes the radar and the starport freezes k:

I use starport for purchasing powerful units in emergencies, or i just use it to get over max. unit limit. In emergencies the prices are affordable because I buy just as much as enough. On the other hand, reaching max. unit limit means that you already have enough units for defense so you can always wait for prices to fall.
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas