Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
VirtualAlex

Default Master of Orion 2 Graphics?

Hey guys, I am really bad and stupid when it comes to DOS and DOS files. But I am using OSX Lion and Boxer to enjoy one of my all time favorite games. I know how to examine the "package contents" of the game and see all the files so please help me out.

I want to get into the graphic files of this game. Mostly I want to get pictures of all the races and maybe all the special legendary people. Is this possible?
VirtualAlex is offline                         Send a private message to VirtualAlex
Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Yes. Better yet, someone already documented the format:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2...-graphics.html
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....com/blog/?p=5
http://web.archive.org/web/200503100...og/orion2/lbx/
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/8...ding-Moo1-Moo2

If I weren't as busy as I am right now, I'd already be on a caffein high and a decent way into coding a ripper by those specs. As it is, though, I can't offer much assistance for next two months or so.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 02-05-2012 at 05:41 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
VirtualAlex

Hmm this is quite a bit over my head... I was hoping one of those files was just all the image assets in some strange DOS format than I could semi-easily get. But this actually looks hard
VirtualAlex is offline                         Send a private message to VirtualAlex
Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The LBX format is more or less as simple as concatenated data formats get - it's literally a bunch of files stuck together, with an index at the start.

You can try contacting whoever's running http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com and ask him if he has a copy of that lost conversion tool.

If that fails and noone steps in to help you until I'm done with this semester of my studies, I'll be quite happy to look into this in detail.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 02-05-2012 at 10:20 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Oh! Can I do a request for your possible future free time, Horseman? I always wanted pictures from MPS Magic: the Gathering. That is packed in the similar archives. At least, "open" part of pictures (frames and some of backgrounds) in the similar PCX/PIC format, and can be opened with PCX-viewer (only distorted, as viewer not suppose to decipher 256 colors). So I hope, "archive" part, with main pictures, are similar too... Can you try to check it? Pack itself can be deconstructed by public tools, but problem is that resulting files cannot be viewed by anything. - I found MtG-specific forum, so, I hope, they will help me.

...Oh, wait, all this time I am thinking about MoM. (As it have the similar formats). VirtualAlex, check last link on this page, maybe it will work for you?

...Also, here is another MOO2 resource viewer. Check it too, please?

Last edited by Smiling Spectre; 03-05-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre