Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Mr. E

Hi there,

I have been looking thru the FAQs & topics here for an answer to a problem I'm having w/ running Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier, but have had no luck.

I have an iMac G5 (PPC) and am running the latest version of DOSBox (v0.10.0).

The game seems to run fine, but I get a notice saying...

Quote:
Please insert 5.25 Disk #3 or 3.5 Disk #3.
Hit any key to continue...[/b]
I don't know what to do. I tried just clicking any key (hoping that the protection was disabled), but that didn't do anything. I also clicked on the "Boot Disk" link you have and that seemed like the answer, but it says to "Just double-click the executable, insert a floppy into the drive, and the rest is done by the program!". Well...I don't have a floppy drive (I suspect that not many other ppl do any more either...hehehe!).

So is there a way I can get this game to work?

I would appreciate any help greatly...thanks very much!!
~Aloha from Hawaii

Old 26-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

QUOTE(Mr. E @ Oct 25 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]317305[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
This isn't copy protection. The message indicates there are some files missing from your game.
Quote:
I also clicked on the "Boot Disk" link you have and that seemed like the answer, but it says to "Just double-click the executable, insert a floppy into the drive, and the rest is done by the program!". Well...I don't have a floppy drive[/b]
You need a floppy to make a bootdisk... no avoiding that.
Quote:
(I suspect that not many other ppl do any more either...hehehe!).[/b]
You'd probably lose that bet. It all depends which one of our machines we're talking about. :P Personally, I have a floppy drive in each and every one... never know when you might need it.
Quote:
So is there a way I can get this game to work?[/b]
Maybe. Where did you get your copy from?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #3

QUOTE(The Fifth Horseman @ Oct 26 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]317326[/snapback]
Quote:
QUOTE(Mr. E @ Oct 25 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]317305[/snapback]
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
This isn't copy protection. The message indicates there are some files missing from your game.
Quote:
I also clicked on the "Boot Disk" link you have and that seemed like the answer, but it says to "Just double-click the executable, insert a floppy into the drive, and the rest is done by the program!". Well...I don't have a floppy drive[/b]
You need a floppy to make a bootdisk... no avoiding that.
Quote:
(I suspect that not many other ppl do any more either...hehehe!).[/b]
You'd probably lose that bet. It all depends which one of our machines we're talking about. :P Personally, I have a floppy drive in each and every one... never know when you might need it.
Quote:
So is there a way I can get this game to work?[/b]
Maybe. Where did you get your copy from?
[/b][/quote]

I downloaded it from right here.

I'll try DLing it again and use a different program to unzip it. Maybe there was an error in unpacking the .zip?

Thanx a lot for the reply! --I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 26-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Mr. E

Hmmm...no luck. There is the same exact no. of files in the new download as in the first, and there was no problem with unzipping.

I guess there something missing from the game here. It's strange though...other people posted about the game and that makes me think that it works for them.

BTW...I tried running the Install file...it crashes DOSBox.

Oh well.

Old 26-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Unzip all in \trek5\
Don't mount \trek5\ as c: but 'cd' to it..
Works fine.

*Edit
Just remembered you're on a Mac .......

Extract the files in the archive to /Users/your-user-name/Documents/trek5/
Subfolders too !!!!!!

Run dosbox, yes, really.
inputs:

Z:\>mount C "/Users/your-user-name/Documents/"
Z:\>C:
C:\>cd trek5
C:\TREK5>st5

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #6

QUOTE(dosraider @ Oct 26 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]317332[/snapback]
Quote:
Unzip all in \trek5\
Don't mount \trek5\ as c: but 'cd' to it..
Works fine.

*Edit
Just remembered you're on a Mac .......

Extract the files in the archive to /Users/your-user-name/Documents/trek5/
Subfolders too !!!!!!

Run dosbox, yes, really.
inputs:

Z:\>mount C "/Users/your-user-name/Documents/"
Z:\>C:
C:\>cd trek5
C:\TREK5>st5

[/b]
Hey! All right! It worked.

Apparently the reason it didn't work before was that I had my /Games/DOS Games/ folder mounted as my c-drive. All my other games work fine with the Games folder. I didn't realize DOSBox prefers Documents. I don't believe they mentioned that in the manual. Anyways...it worked. Plus I learned something. I'll move all my DOS games to Documents (hopefully it will be ok to put them all in a folder within Documents...I'd rather not have all those loose files in the Documents folder seperately).

BTW...I had already set DOSbox to automount my /Games/DOS Games/ folder, so to test out your instructions, I mounted my Documents folder as "D". Which obviously worked fine. I'll reset DOSBox to automount /Documents/DOS Games/ as my c-drive after this.

Thanx a LOT dosraider!!!
~Aloha!

Old 26-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Mr. E

[/quote]Hey! All right! It worked.

Apparently the reason it didn't work before was that I had my /Games/DOS Games/ folder mounted as my c-drive. All my other games work fine with the Games folder. I didn't realize DOSBox prefers Documents. I don't believe they mentioned that in the manual. Anyways...it worked. Plus I learned something. I'll move all my DOS games to Documents (hopefully it will be ok to put them all in a folder within Documents...I'd rather not have all those loose files in the Documents folder seperately).

BTW...I had already set DOSbox to automount my /Games/DOS Games/ folder, so to test out your instructions, I mounted my Documents folder as "D". Which obviously worked fine. I'll reset DOSBox to automount /Documents/DOS Games/ as my c-drive after this.

Thanx a LOT dosraider!!!
~Aloha!
[/quote]

UPDATE: I just learned something else new. The problem was NOT with my Games folder. Apparently, the entire problem was caused by my renaming the Star Trek 5 folder (I changed it to the eintire "Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier"). When I first tried your fix, I renamed it exactly as you stated, but after it worked...I changed it back to the full name again...and it did the same "insert 5.25 disk, blah, blah, blah" thing again. So...I changed the name back, tried it again, and it worked again. So then I get the idea that maybe my /Games/DOS Games/ folder IS all right after all. ...And so it is. So...it's cool. I don't need to move all my DOS games and change my DOSBox autorun instructions! k:

And now I know that if I have a similar problem in the future...I'll keep the renaming thing in mind.

Thanx again man!!

Old 26-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

DOS file naming rules restrict file and directory names to 8 characters and no spaces are allowed.
Hence many old games can have problems if you try to name their directories otherwise.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
dosraider
Dismembered.

:tai:
Dosbox doesn't care WHAT you mount as C aslong you have read/writing rights.
Always mount a folder as C: in dosbox and THEN cd to your game folder.
As for you /Games/DOS Games/ works, fine no problem.

The reason I advised to mount /documents/ as C: is because at least I know you have read/writing rights there, if you have those elsewhere... no problem.

"Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier" as dos game folder?
:blink:
Oh my ......

*Edit,
The Fifth Horseman, How dare you post whilst I'm typing ........ :angry:

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #10
Mr. E

QUOTE(dosraider @ Oct 26 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]317344[/snapback]
Quote:
:tai:
Dosbox doesn't care WHAT you mount as C aslong you have read/writing rights.
Always mount a folder as C: in dosbox and THEN cd to your game folder.
As for you /Games/DOS Games/ works, fine no problem.

The reason I advised to mount /documents/ as C: is because at least I know you have read/writing rights there, if you have those elsewhere... no problem.

"Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier" as dos game folder?
:blink:
Oh my ......

*Edit,
The Fifth Horseman, How dare you post whilst I'm typing ........ :angry:
[/b]
Thanx for the addt. background info guys. *thumbs up* Yeah. I knid of realized the thing about 8 characters and no spaces, but up 'til now--on every other game--I had no problems. I just eliminated the spaces when I typed the commands and put "~1" at the end if it was too long (i.e. "startr~1"). It always worked...up 'til now.

Hehe! ...I think I'll rename some of my game folders. I just liked having the entire correct name on files/folders for easy, correct identification and neatness.

Thanx again. Seeya later!