Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #71
fjj
Forum hobbit

Great competition, I'm just sorry I didn't take more time to check a couple more games by actually running them. Instead, I searched for gameplay videos on YouTube, hoping they contain the original music.

But then again, running any game, even if it wasn't on the list, would have taken me a couple of hours, because I would become so immersed in the game.

And I have another excuse for not guessing more games. Once I listened to the 40 songs and a couple of tunes on Abandonia Frequency, I started confusing them.

(voice from the background) Enough excuses already! Live with it!

Looking forward to the next competition.
fjj is offline                         Send a private message to fjj
Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #72
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

I have found Turrican one too , btw congratulations to the winners!
And have fun with your new Nintendo DS
Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #73
sandman

congrats to the winners, looks like you've earned it!

there are 2 games in the list i never played, so there's no excuse for me for not doing some more research and not submitting my answers. :amused:
that quite surprised me, because there are genres i don't play much. but space strategy is not one of them and see, the 2 games i missed were Homeworld (i know, a shame, and even bigger after i heard the tune :nuts and Star Control (ok, you never get me to play that).

so i can just say it was one really nice and also tough competition, i appreciate it in the terms of being an avid (oldskool) gamer and also an electronic musician.

Last edited by sandman; 06-03-2008 at 02:41 PM.
sandman is offline                         Send a private message to sandman
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #74
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Frankly, I wasn't really expecting to win. Congrats to Thexder, and respect to all other participants for their efforts and determination.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #75
Wicky
the little viking

Well I bought myself a bottle of finest whiskey (bourbon of course), to gather all my boldness course... And I have come to the conclusion that many titles sound very similar!

For example, the soundtrack of Dune2 at time index 0:40 seconds is just exactly the same as Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders!
Or the soundtrack, of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis seems to be similar to Final Fanty 7 (Sepiroth's Theme) for the looks of it!!

Last edited by Wicky; 06-03-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #76
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexder View Post

Kosta, thanks for the competition, it was indeed a very interesting one... On the other hand, you even got me to check the songs in Daikatana, and this is just not right...

Now I better go to sleep -- after the amount of time I spent trying to identify these tunes, if I do not leave the computer now, my wife will divorce me.

Cheers!

P.S.: And, nevertheless, I cannot believe I missed "Pirates!" and "Secret of Monkey Island"...
Can you please check your personal messages on the site? I need some info off you

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #77
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Well I bought myself a bottle of finest whiskey (bourbon of course), to gather all my boldness course... And I have come to the conclusion that many titles sound very similar!

For example, the soundtrack of Dune2 at time index 0:40 seconds is just exactly the same as Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders!
Or the soundtrack, of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis seems to be similar to Final Fanty 7 (Sepiroth's Theme) for the looks of it!!
Hardly. You just need to work on your melody recognition skills a bit.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #78
Thexder

Default Things I learned because of this competition

You guys probably know most of these already, but, anyway:

1) You can tap a melody with your spacebar and have the computer recognize it with Songtapper (but, as expected, that won't help you much with game music, unless it is a Mario Theme ).

2) I am amazed at the number of old Game Intro (and Gameplay) Videos at YouTube; DosBox must be responsible for this.

3) Talking about DosBox, D-Fend Reloaded is a front-end for DosBox that tries hard to emulate and improve on the now defunct D-Fend. In my opinion, it succeeds.

4) Typing "Game music pipe organ" into Google will only spit out links to Castlevania, Resident Evil, and that recent performance by Martin Leung at Yale.

Ok, let me go back to playing Gothic now.
Thexder is offline                         Send a private message to Thexder
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #79
Adamg
That one guy.

Congratulations TFH and Thexder! :amused: I didn't spend a lot of time on the competition myself, but I got 4 correct out of the first 10.
Adamg is offline                         Send a private message to Adamg
Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #80
redy

Congrats to the winners.
redy is offline                         Send a private message to redy