Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #21
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

mostly it is adventure games and rpg's which had longlasting effects upon my mood
after having completed them...

to mention a few, the eye of the beholder series as well as the ultima series were
extremely intense. furthermore many lucasfilm adventures managed to held me
spellbound long after i had completed them, for all the characters and the stories
were so lovely that i missed them alot, just like "friends" you have to say goodbye to.

generally for me it's always a question of how much i could identify with games'
protagonists - the way they look like, move, act, communicate is what brings them
close to my mind.

this is especially true for old games. in new games it is more the graphics and effects
which made these games memorable, not their charismatic expression.

i think this is due to the fact, that old games concentrated mainly on atmosphere that is
created mainly by the story, because the story had to balance out the "lack" of audio-
visual technique. nowadays the most effective aspects of games are in their visual
appearance, which - in my opinion - often aims for balancing out weaknesses of their
plots.

so there has been a certain switch of intensity - appearance is more valuable than
story, back in the old days it was the other way round.

but of course there are as well many new productions which contain great atmosphere
by story. for example there is "the longest journey" or "syberia" which are top-notch
adventures with great contents, or "undying" being a truely frightful and intense horrorshooter.
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #22
Maikel
Abandonia Homie

Monkey Island 1 was really great, made me feel a real pirate! ..... :whistle:

Sacrifice made me happy to. Awesome strategy game, with a nice story. Winning the very nasty last mission made me a happy man

Undying was awesome to. It gave me a scared / cold feeling, except with the ending. The endboss is a bit....booooring.

Maikel is offline                         Send a private message to Maikel
Old 06-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #23
bjbrains2002
Abandonia nerd

Baldur's gate 2, extremely good storyline (possibly the best in any rpg ever) and a real sense of choice.
bjbrains2002 is offline                         Send a private message to bjbrains2002
Old 06-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #24
Reaper

I liked also very much the Thief games, they really maked me feel like being in the game (I like dark and being stealthy ). I used to wake up at night, finish another mission than go back to sleep. It was like real life. And those long loading times forced me into thinking every action I made, like I got only one shot. The level design was great, and the story AWESOME in my opinion. Thief is my favourite game.

PS: My favourite Ultima games (the Underworlds) were made by Looking Glass, the same guys that made Thief 1 and 2 (part of them were involved in 3 too).
Reaper is offline                         Send a private message to Reaper
Old 06-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #25
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Wael@Jan 6 2005, 03:19 PM
The world was full of life, happenings, never ending desicions by you, festivals, cattle raids, wars, trades, godly rituals, heros, creatures & unique inviduals, And so much amazingly beautiful handcrafted art in every happening & screen, that I still find something I have never seen, whenever I wish to dissever my soul from the world...

Almost a perfect game...

Screenshots /-
Excerpted from my own old review of King of Dragon Pass, once published in a now vanished magazine:

"But the single most interesting feature in KoDP is the way it effectively becomes a different game every time its you play it. Yes, I know you’ve heard it before, but it’s never been attempted on this scale; for KoDP tracks hundreds of clan variables and more than four hundred potential plots, at least one of which is randomly generated nearly every season of your clan’s existence.

Some plots are one-shot situations with immediate, shortterm effects, like a proposed marriage between members of your clan and another’s. Others create story threads that hibernate for long periods, only to burst into view many years later—like one noble I had on a ring, whose occasional, whimsically silly, non sequitur advice about the evil of Elves suddenly turned deadly serious after more than twenty years of excellent service, when he deliberately maimed three Elves in the clan woodlands, victims of his desire to force a war....

I’ll gladly raise a drinking horn to toast the creators of such an original and rich game as KoDP. With variety, depth, and a Celtic folk soundtrack to die for, this game’s a solid keeper."
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 06-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #26
Flammo80
Forum hobbit

The third police quest (The kindred) had a great story.

Also, I haven't gotten to 5 days a stranger yet, or the sequel.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #27
Danny252
I have a custom title!

don't really have one that really touched me..
Old 06-01-2005, 06:39 PM   #28
edlglide
Abandonia nerd

It's a console only game, but the RPG Suikoden 2 has an absolutely brilliant storyline. Probably the most touching of any RPG I've played for either console or PC -- and there's something they did with an optional ending that ties it to the very beginning of the game which is just great.
edlglide is offline                         Send a private message to edlglide
Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #29
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I'd have to say two games came to that point, but the reasons are rather silly.
First would be Ghostbusters - a game that Activision made way back in 1984. As most of you know I'm a Ghostbusters fan, so I liked the game itself, but when I first played it (when my brother got his first C64 in 1985) niether one of us knew enough english to understand the manual. Besides this was the only original game he ever purchashed (those were the wild pirate days...) and I played pirate verions more often then the real thing (don't even have the original game). But it was around 1990 that I found the original manual and read it! You need ghost bait to prevent the Marshmellow man from destroying the buildings!!! Ahh! And all of a sudden, after 5 years of plaing the game I knew just what I was doing and I came to the screen I never saw before - the entrence to the Zuul. I got in and closed the portal.
Congratulations Jurisic, you've saved the world! I've waited 5 years to get to that screen and that's why I was so happy.
Something similar happened with the other game Zak McCracken. I got the pirate version for the C64 and it was my first point and click adventure. I loved it, but couldn't finish it. I missed the little screw in the Mars hostel, so I couldn't get in that room to get the broom. So I couldn't get the tram going and I thought I have to get Zak to Mars first. I knew I needed the yellow crystal to do that, but couldn't get it, because I didn't know the African dance opened the head on Mars. I thought those drawings were a part of the copy protection and that I could only get by it if I get the licensed version. Well I couldn't - at least not for a couple of year. Then in 1994 I got the Adventure Archive from LucasArts - for the PC, and it included a full manual with hints. I couldn't find any copyright protection conserning the drawings?!?!?! So I replayed the game with this new found knowladge and saw, what that dance was all about. From then on I had no problems. But why didn't I do this before with the C64 version? Well I damaged the side 1 of the disk (it was on three sides of 5'4'' floppys). So I couldn't play it. but after many years I finaly savet the Earth from stupidity (the dream of any teacher).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 PM   #30
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

I will say Black Mirror was a game that touched me! The game is not very difficult (at least not for me), but the story is one of the best stories I have ever seen!
Also Fallout 2 - the story how China attacked USA (if anybody read that)!
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero