Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-02-2005, 05:49 AM   #171
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I don't understand the deal with the Mutons. When I fight those I usually already have access to the best guns from a long time, so I don't really have a problem fighting them.

Fighting anything else than the Grey and Floaters with rifle is almost suicidal...
Old 21-02-2005, 06:48 AM   #172
Mr. Barman

i usually give my men laser rifles with 2 or 4 heavy lasers, it just means that when it comes to the Avenger i can take 2 HWP - Plasma and 14 men with all the other equipment (psy amps, grenades, medikits and so on)
Mr. Barman is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Barman
Old 21-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #173
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Huh?I actually never used another weapon than laser rifle...I never had problems kill something with these,
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 21-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #174
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Heavy Lasers defy conventional wisdom by both sucking and blowing!

Laser rifles are better, but when you get enough, heavy plasma destroys all (it can even go through UFO walls!)

Blaster launchers are pretty good, but if you want heavy weapons then rocket launchers + incendiary rounds are da bomb. (pun intended)

Also, I have never been attacked by reapers, they usually get blown up by proxy grenades or High Explosive (another weapon of choice), on the other hand Crysallids actually have some of the best armour in the game against high explosive, and easily the worst against incendiary shots.

And whilst the three man team idea is nice, the guy in the front pretty much always gets zombified, so killing him makes the problem worse. You should always try to knock them out if possible with Tasers or Small Launchers, but not kill them or else there will be one more crysallid.

Which can be really, really annoying, especially if the zombie gets in the dropship (happened to me, lost 6 guys with power armour. Needless to say, the high explosive lobbed in solved the problem (although it took 3 packs on different timers , at 0, 1 and 2!)
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 21-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #175
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

I have finished Ufo few times on diferent dificulties,and always just with laser rifles(plus explosives and few blaster launchers of course).I think that laser rifles are best weapons in Ufo.(solid damage,solid accuracy,unlimited ammo..).
I want to know what Reapers do becouse I never saw that they are making something diferent that walking(and dying ).
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 21-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #176
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

LOL same here. I think they have some kind of melee attack, but I am in no way sure. They're not too hard to kill though.

I have a really cool Unofficial Strategy Guide, that I got when I searched "X-Com Guides" on Alltheweb.

it lists all kinds of things and is quite a good read. There is also an X-Com2 guide but it is (surprisingly enough) pretty much the same.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 21-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #177
Malligant

I played this game when it first came out, loved it then, it wasn't until I was looking for a different game I came across this site! thanks!

Started playing it again, and just watched my free time zip down to zero..

One thing though, how the hell do you turn off the music??

Old 21-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #178
LittleDude

use tanks if you ask me strong cost 420 000 but hell they're worth it
LittleDude is offline                         Send a private message to LittleDude
Old 22-02-2005, 03:44 AM   #179
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Malligant@Feb 21 2005, 08:43 PM
I played this game when it first came out, loved it then, it wasn't until I was looking for a different game I came across this site! thanks!

Started playing it again, and just watched my free time zip down to zero..

One thing though, how the hell do you turn off the music??
If it's the Windows version mute your MIDI (FM Synth)
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 22-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #180
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Actually, as soon as you can get power armour (or even at the start, really) I stop using tanks completely.

The main reason why I don't like tanks is that their ammo takes up loads of space and also that they can't pick anything up.

When you attack supply ships after shooting them down, tanks become awful, as they can't go through the doors without using expensive blaster ammo, or wasting heavy plasma rounds that should be used elsewhere.

And another thing, if you land at night (especially on terror missions) with tanks and blind-fire the walls to get cheap alien kills you will more often than not kill a load of civilians, which is bad.

All in all, they are not worth it, even at the start.

Be controversial and use the Lightning! It's great!