Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #2311
Mr. Barman

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Apr 16 2006, 09:02 AM
Quote:
For support, i usually send them ASAP to the roof of nearby buildings, especially handy at night with incenedary rounds, fire off a few auto shots into the distance and see the whole map get lit up
I love that move, i do it myself but i dont like to destroy too much.
Well if its a country battle then i dont worry about damage but if its a Terror site then i stick to electro flares or Aimed incendiary rounds into open areas
Mr. Barman is offline                         Send a private message to Mr. Barman
Old 16-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #2312
Japo
Autonomous human

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by guesst@Apr 15 2006, 08:36 PM
The makers of X-Com admited that they made the computer players cheat
AHA!
Old 17-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #2313
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Barman+Apr 16 2006, 10:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Barman @ Apr 16 2006, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-laiocfar@Apr 16 2006, 09:02 AM
Quote:
For support, i usually send them ASAP to the roof of nearby buildings, especially handy at night with incenedary rounds, fire off a few auto shots into the distance and see the whole map get lit up
I love that move, i do it myself but i dont like to destroy too much.
Well if its a country battle then i dont worry about damage but if its a Terror site then i stick to electro flares or Aimed incendiary rounds into open areas [/b][/quote]
I dont care for civilian they will die by alienīs hand anyway, i care for have to stop and wait until the smoke is gone to continue advancing. Always that i tried to attack trough smoke, they killed my team so easly and without a chance to fight back =(
Old 17-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #2314
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Apr 17 2006, 03:05 PM
I dont care for civilian they will die by alienīs hand anyway, i care for have to stop and wait until the smoke is gone to continue advancing. Always that i tried to attack trough smoke, they killed my team so easly and without a chance to fight back =(
Better to die by their hand than ours, Points are lost for killing civilians. Anyway, the whole idea of a terror mission is to save those poor little fellers.
It true that smoke works to the aliens advantage as well as yours but it can be a life saver sometimes when your men are caught out in the open. Cloud them in smoke and they might survive long enough to run for cover. Trying to do a frontal attack through smoke is asking for trouble because their eye sight is better than your soldiers. :crazy: Put smoke between you and them and try to flank them.
Old 17-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #2315
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I used smoke in all ways that i could imagine:
- To cover the exit of the skyranger. It worked, its pretty easy to do. Just launch some smoke front of the ramp and go on.
- To save a soldiers that isnt going to survive next turn cuz he is in the middle of an open zone with the enemy in some building next or he pass trough the alienīs lines and have 3 sectoids just at their rear. It works sometimes but its an emergency situation and is expected to got 100% of succes.
- To cover an assault to a building by making the smoke near to the door inside the building. I get some clue from where are they before attack but it always end with the assaulting team dead when moving out of the cloud and the aliens got their possition reinforced with smoke.
- To cover an assault to a building by making the smoke in the open front it. This got no use, my men arenīt safe from shoot from the buildings + i lose the chance of any reaction for the fire support guys + when i cross the door they already know where i am and i got no clue of where they are.
- To cover a direct attack in open. It doesnt work.
- To cover a flank attack. I found that my flanks get attacked from the cloud + the center is pushed back or killed by the cloud. Anyway if it works it will be of no use, why i wish to lose contact? the objetive is always to kill everybody. When fighting ethereals it could be of some use but they can flight.
- In TFTD, i used smoke really well in ship fighting in closed areas. To use an attack and hide technik.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #2316
xs0nIx

Send a message via MSN to xs0nIx

the question is why bring weak soldiers in the battlefield? as you progress your soldiers will get stronger(just don't let them die :whistle except of course the psi strenght. and the solution to this just recruit more soldiers and train them on the psi labs and select whos the best and bring them to battle... :evil:
xs0nIx is offline                         Send a private message to xs0nIx
Old 17-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #2317
Den

I don't know about you guys.. but i finished the game before without psi training... what i did in the last attack or any other attack was to bring LOTS of alien rocket tanks and plasma tanks since they're the best units in the game(immune to panic, mind control and they solve any problems you have about aliens hiding behind something. Just toast the entire area with a rocket... problem solved!

whenever I see aliens running around a certain room in there base... i just launch rockets into that room. or keep firing on that direction.

Of course there were a lot of panic n mind control going on... but as soon as i arrived all my equipment had to be on the floor so that they wouldn't shoot themselves. When going down to the lower levels of the alien base I separated my best troops from my fodder troops(soldiers who always panicked and got mind controlled). At the end of the day I'm left about 2-4 men(2 good troops and 2 useless ones who kept running around the elevators where I left them.)

Anyway that's how I beat the game. Mostly on rockets, tanks and a lot of LUCK & LOADING. What am I supposed to do when I'm about to lose all my funding?
Den is offline                         Send a private message to Den
Old 17-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #2318
Japo
Autonomous human

There's a bug in the game (at least that's how I call it) so that any soldier who's mind-controlled during the last turn will be lost, regardless of whether you win or lose. And somtimes there's no way around it, because if you don't kill the mind-controlling alien it keeps controlling your man every turn, and if you do then you win the battle, it's over and you lose your man. :angry:
Old 18-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #2319
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Japofran@Apr 17 2006, 09:20 PM
There's a bug in the game (at least that's how I call it) so that any soldier who's mind-controlled during the last turn will be lost, regardless of whether you win or lose. And somtimes there's no way around it, because if you don't kill the mind-controlling alien it keeps controlling your man every turn, and if you do then you win the battle, it's over and you lose your man. :angry:
Its a feature, not a bug. While the MIA does lower your score, he will never attempt to kill his squadmates, again. It always annoyed me when I forgot which trooper was the putty-brained goober who nearly killed many of my stronger willed troops. Having him never return to the transport solved the problem sacking the right person. Often, if the MC'd trooper was too able to inflict casualties, he was shot by anyone close at hand. The MC'd troopers who were not summarily executed were ones that had previously panicked and dropped their weapons. Leaving them to wander around kept the psi-capable aliens from worse mischief.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 18-04-2006, 05:01 AM   #2320
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I remember a mission where i made the impossible to save MC soldier cuz the mind controlling alien was the last one.