Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
AudioTechnica

Default I'm looking for a shareware game

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for an old shareware game which I am not sure of what the name is called so I will try and describe it the best that I can.

I played this game in hmm... 1998ish? It is a shareware strategy played like risk where you have to buy realestate and win over the other opponents. The play area was set out like a grid and each square was a part of a company that you 'bought' out. (I can't rember exactly how this played out but it depended on you surrounding the square or something like that to take it over). I can also rember this game had nice pie/bar charts to show your progress in the game. And depending on how much you offered to buy a company you could take it over.

Does anyone else remember this? I don't think it was a well known game but I found the gameplay very addictive.

Btw, I dont mind if you dont have the game or can't put it up. If anyone can help me out with the name of it I can go and search it out myself (and investigate if its dead enough to try putting on here. Its that awesome a game. I played it in 1998 on a cdrom compilation so the game is possibly much older than that).

Last edited by AudioTechnica; 15-04-2009 at 10:53 AM.
AudioTechnica is offline                         Send a private message to AudioTechnica
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
AudioTechnica

nobody knows what it is? NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am a member of the FSNlenneth network.
AudioTechnica is offline                         Send a private message to AudioTechnica
Old 05-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

no clue

i remember we had a simmilar game like this somewhere here on abandonia under simulation/strategy but i can't remember the name now

maybe constructor? i think that was the one i've been thinking of
Old 09-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Cyreph

I'm not sure about the game, but what you describe sounds a lot like Acquire. I heard there's an updated computer game version, but I can't be sure.
Cyreph is offline                         Send a private message to Cyreph
Old 09-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

http://www.webnoir.com/bob/sid/acquire.htm

Quote:
There have been a number of attempts at computer versions of ACQUIRE, and the best of them for the PC is available here for a free download, thanks to the generosity and programming skill of George Crawshay of the UK. It's available as either raw QBasic code (44K) which requires QBasic to run, or as a compiled EXE file (123K) which will run by itself on a PC. If you don't want to modify the code, I recommend the latter. For a change, Mac users aren't left out in the cold here, as there's a version I've been told is very good called "PowerPlayers," and you can download it here. Also, the late Avalon Hill put out a PC-DOS version that's a bit crude, but if you want it, it's here. Thanks to Rick Keller for that one. And thanks to Kevin Worth, here's another PC-DOS version you might like. I have a feeling that the new Hasbro Avalon Hill will be coming out with a computer version of their own before too long.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 09-06-2009 at 11:03 AM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
AudioTechnica

Sorry for bumping my old thread, I am still looking for this game 2 years on (LOL)... started replying RTK2 and CIV2 and it's made me want to play this game again.

I'll tr yto describe it some more:

It was a windows game
The game area was a static screen (game tiles fitted all on one screen and it didnt move from that except to show game statictics and when zoomed into a company.

The other computer players were like business leaders who could set up their own company and buy yours.

Shares in a company were shown as titles.

And I think, the other players had animal faces.

My memory is kind of hazy because it was so long ago but it was difinitely a windows strategy game where you had to buy and sell shares to win.

I am a member of the FSNlenneth network.
Old 22-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Maybe Entrepreneur is something you are looking for.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak