Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
spartaneye
Lurker

Default Boot magic help!!

Hi, I've got a project machine that I'm working on to have a multiboot setup with Windows XP/98SE, DOS 6.21, and eventually Linux. I've got all 3 microsoft OSs installed on 3 different partitions using Partition Magic 8.0 and Boot Magic 7.0 (I think that's the version?). In any case, the boot menu shows up on every reboot/power on, and I can select any of the menu options, however it can take anywhere from 2-10+ boots for the OS to actually load in any of their cases. When the OS doesn't load the screen either hangs on black or on the "Loading BootMagic" text screen that pops up before the graphic interface loads. Rebooting and reselecting the OS I want time after time seems to eventually make things work, but this is sort of annoying and I'd like to find a way to just have them load the first time. The only possible clue I've had is that with all the OSs at one point or another I've gotten an error about accessing line a20, which I've looked into and addressed by adding the /M:2 flag to my HIMEM.SYS line in CONFIG.SYS. This has solved the problem once I get the OS to load, but it seems as though the system hangs before it even begins loading the OS, hence making the change in CONFIG.SYS not likely to make a difference. Furthermore, when the system hangs, I lose the ability to turn caps or num lock on and off. I should probably mention that I'm using an Iogear USB KVM with an Apple USB keyboard and Kensington USB wheel mouse to control the machine (I run a Mac usually, but wanted a project PC). In any case, sometimes popping a PS/2 keyboard in directly seems to fix it, but it may just be coincidence, as sometimes it doesn't work at all. Anyways, any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
spartaneye is offline                         Send a private message to spartaneye
Old 13-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

That's one of the reasons why I'm always saying: one HDD per OS, altering the boot sequence to change. But that's no help for you, so don't pay attention to this post.
Old 13-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How thoroughly have you tested the components of this rig?
I recommend checking first the RAM and then the HDD. Memtest 86+ for the first, MHDD for the other - both are freeware, bootable and pretty good at what they do. Remember to post the SMART data for the HDD here.

A faulty IDE drive cable can also cause symptoms similar to HDD malfunction. If there's any reason to suspect the cable the drive is connected to may be damaged, replace it with a new one ASAP (and I mean a completely new one).

Instability may also be caused by overclocked RAM or CPU. If you're not sure what speed the memory was meant for, try clocking down the memory bus a step or two. Same for the FSB speed and multiplier.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 13-08-2008 at 09:25 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman