Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
guesst
Abandonia Homie

I've found a few games that I've thought didn't belong where they were, or if they did some other games needed to be moved. In particular the Crypt has been this way for me. Plus there's alot of Unsorted that could easily be sorted.

I've noticed Abandonia doesn't generally allow double categorizing, so I suppose sometimes it's a case of just choosing something when a game might fall into more than one category. Is there a set of rules that defines which category or another a game falls into? Who's in charge of deciding this stuff?
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 13-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, generally updaters assign a game to a chategory. When it comes to the CRYPT it's very special. For a long time Kosta (the owner) didn't want CGA games to be added to the site. So THE CRYPT contains the game that priarily use CGA graphics (or TANDY). The Unsorted doesn't mean we couldn't put the games in a certain chategory, it's just that Pinballs don't really belong into action, it's bascially a simulation of the real machine, but I wouldn't put them there either.

Yes, some games seem to be slightly misplaced (or could be in more chategories), but generally it's not so hard to find something.

Which games did you have in mind?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 13-04-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes one of these days I am going to sort through all games on the site and place them where I want them. Some games are in he wrong category and even more are debatable. It is a hassle to change them now and those people who have the access are too busy to do it.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 13-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Changing them is easy, it's hard to decide where to put them!

Let's make a suggestion:

Name the games that you (talking to everybody) think are misplaced and where do you (talking to everybody again) think we should put them!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 13-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Does Miss Classified/Unsorted Games get one of those sashes and a tiara? Can we see a picture? :P
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 14-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, just looking in the strategy section since it's my favorite genre...

Armor Alley should be in Action or Arcade.
I have absolutly no idea why The Clue! is in the Strategy section...
Netstorm is an action game. It has a lot of strategy involved, but it's definitly an action game.
I have absolutly no idea what The Sting! is, but it's definitly not a strategy game.
I never played Transarctica, but it sure looks like to me as an Adventure game with hints of strategy than the opposite.

This is just a very quick overview.

And I'd suggest that we open a new category named "Wargames". We have so much in the Strategy section that it can very easily stand as a genre, and I really think it polute the Strategy section since they are not really strategy games...
Old 14-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Apr 14 2006, 02:00 AM
I have absolutly no idea why The Clue! is in the Strategy section...
Netstorm is an action game. It has a lot of strategy involved, but it's definitly an action game.
I have absolutly no idea what The Sting! is, but it's definitly not a strategy game.
If you'd follow that logic than Dune 2, C&C and such would be Action games too, and they all involve Strategy. As a general rule, in Strategy you kill stuff by commanding stuff, while in Action you kill stuff by controlling your own character.

The Clue! and The Sting! (sequel of The Clue!) I'd consider Unsorted, since there's no specific category that covers them. You could consider them a mix of Action, Adventure, Strategy...
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper
Old 14-04-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
guesst
Abandonia Homie

the one that got me started, Barbarian (Death Blade) I thought should be an action if Metal Mutant (also uses CGA) isn't in the crypt.

I have to actually play some of the unsorted, but the first one, argh, looks action to me, but I'll check it out.

But this is all my opinion, and this is not my web site, so meh.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 14-04-2006, 03:13 AM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

[quote]If you'd follow that logic than Dune 2, C&C and such would be Action games too, and they all involve Strategy. As a general rule, in Strategy you kill stuff by commanding stuff, while in Action you kill stuff by controlling your own character.[quote]
I don't follow a logic, I only apply the correct genres. Games like Dune 2 or C&C are RTS, and the S in RTS mean Strategy.

You don't need to kill stuff to have a strategy game, on the contrary. A strategy game is a game which require you to think about what you are doing in a strategic way, you don't really need to kill something to achieve that.
Old 18-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
Raasted
Abandonia nerd

In my opinion "Dune" (not dune2) should be both in adventure and strategy, since the game is 'divided' into 2:
the first part which is adventure (fly around, meet people, talk to people, explore your palace) - the second part, where you command your legions of fremen top-down, harvest spice (as in Dune2) and so on is strategy. Definetly not just an adventure game....

/Raasted
Raasted is offline                         Send a private message to Raasted