Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
syntax01010

Thumbs up

Honestly, I feel the Gabriel Knight series, in particular Sins of the Fathers and the Beast Within were some of the best adventure games ever made. Sure the acting might not have been always the best, but they were definately entertaining. The one thing I don't quite get though, both games are completely out of production, the part of Sierra that made them doesn't even exist any longer....yet the few websites I have seen with info on them, state they aren't abaondoned and can't be downloaded/uploaded? I am curious as to why, I've seen games that are much more recent made by companies/departments that still exist posted and traded as aboandonware games.
syntax01010 is offline                         Send a private message to syntax01010
Old 11-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Calamity
Game freak

I've only played Sins of the Fathers (I plan on eventually getting the other two) and I absolutely adore it. I think Jane Jensen does a fabulous job of storywritting in the way that the topics are presented in a form that's generally interesting and thought provoking instead of just cut and dry. Plus the voice acting in SotF's just makes the game 10x more charming. :D

I guess it also helps that each subject the series deals with all happen to be personal interests of mine. :P
Calamity is offline                         Send a private message to Calamity
Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
gildedgirth
Abandonia nerd

I agree. Its a great series and I think Sierra's best series in my opinion. It's darker but has a richer atmosphere than the other series. While I like Roberta Wiliams, I tend to prefer Jane Jensen's writing better. The Southern setting mixed with Haitian voodoo was a great setting for horror game in the 1st GK game.

Replaying the first one recently, I forgot how wonderful the all the art looks and the great voice acting. I like how you have a haitian voodoo lady talking to you as you click on objects throughout the game. Definitely the pinnacle of 2d painted point & click adventure gaming.

Too bad we don't see hand painted 2D art with talented voice acting anymore. Despite its age, it still looks good as ever.

I really liked the 2nd game as well and thought it was a really well done FMV (full motion video) adventure game. I bought the 3rd game, but still haven't played it.
gildedgirth is offline                         Send a private message to gildedgirth
Old 13-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Anovich
Abandonia nerd

As you might guess from my avatar I LOVE gabriel knight, they're absolutely my favorite game series. I have all three, but the first two aren't easy to get so they're very precious to me
Anovich is offline                         Send a private message to Anovich
Old 13-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Cue-Ball

I wholeheartedly agree that GK is one of, if not the, best adventure game ever made. In fact, I just re-bought a copy of Sins of the Fathers two days ago after missing it for all these years.
Cue-Ball is offline                         Send a private message to Cue-Ball
Old 14-02-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
Daywalker

Sins of the Fathers. Gaming at it's greatest.

I still recall playing the game trying to figure out that damn statement in French. This was my first adventure game, first game on a PC as well. I have very, very fond memories of that game. I am lucky enough to own all three games. And the first one with the voices, and as Calamity said, it makes the game that much better.
Daywalker is offline                         Send a private message to Daywalker
Old 15-02-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
Ferna182
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Ferna182

i said it before and i'll say it again .... gabriel knight simply RULES!!!! The best story ever created!!!! such a GREAT game...
Ein Platz für dein Herz
Ist schon reseviert
Ferna182 is offline                         Send a private message to Ferna182
Old 15-02-2005, 06:16 AM   #8
Ajax
Forum hobbit

I think I've already mentioned before how great these games really are, but it's worth mentioning it again. I liked the first one so much that I went out and bought both the CD voice version and the old school floppy disk version (that included the cool comic book!). Though the Beast Within wasn't in my favorite format, it still rocked. (even though I wish I could speak German sometimes to find out what was going on...). I don't know about anyone else, but it also gave me a pretty good history lesson too.
Ajax is offline                         Send a private message to Ajax
Old 15-02-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The CD version of SotF adds a lot to the game. Especially in the early days of the CD talky version of games where often spoiled by bad acting but this one is wonderfully done, Mark Hamil might not be the worlds best actor on the stage but in the sound studio he really comes into his own. tBw on the other hands has plenty of bad actors, the German "Grace" tries to speak is so Godawefull it becommes funny. The only noteworthy thing about the actor that plays "Gabriel" is that he once had a guest role in Frasier in which he sleeps with and then dumps "Daphny".

Never player part 3.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 17-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
gildedgirth
Abandonia nerd

Hehe, yeah quite a change from a Sin's of the Fathers' Gabriel played by the legendary Tim Curry, to the actor in The Beast Within. Voice acting in the first game is by far one of the most well done I've ever head. However, like others have said, I greatly enjoyed the 2nd game as well.

gildedgirth is offline                         Send a private message to gildedgirth