Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #41
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 17 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]255658[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I more or less enjoyed Assault far more than Adventures because it had its own formula, and unlike Adventures, it only got better, it didn't go downhill like Adventures the instant you beat the first dungeon for example.

It was also the REAL Starfox game, it had Starfox gameplay, and it capitilized on that by expanding it.
[/b]
The first "real" Starfox game...oh my god, dude, you're fighting over the dead carcass of a two-star game!

Let me try to name the good and bad points of Assault:

GOOD:

-flight sequences
-graphics
-Umm...Nintendo?
-Krystal

BAD:

-on foot combat
-repetetive gameplay
-mediocre voiceovers
-horribly unbalanced multiplayer

And while I admit that Adventures isn't the greatest thing in the world, I do like it alot, and think it's more of a SF game than Assault will ever be.

Are we going to stop arguing now, or shall we continue?

PS- I want to play Painkiller very badly...but I don't think my poor computer is up to the task...
Old 18-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #42
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Assault was twenty million times more entertaining than Adventures.

Mediocre voice overs? Did you know how many times I abused Prince Tricky just because of his horrible voice?

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 18-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #43
STFM
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 8 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]253589[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Actually STFM, Max Payne came out before PoP...I believe...
[/b]
Um... no, I meant the original Prince of Persia - where you would drink the green potion and time would slow down and you could 'float' off platforms but still move freely left and right!
Even Bubble bobble and some versions of pacman had a "freeze time" mode!

However if you define this bullet time as 'slowing down the game environment while retaining the character movement ability in a first person 3d shooter game involving the use of guns' then yes, Max Payne was the first to use bullet time.
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 18-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #44
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 18 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]255674[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Arcanum was FANTASTIC!

But a few game killing bugs (buying a ship, all Arcanum fans know this one, hehe) and the freaking annoying random encounters and its retarded AI kinda made me refrain from putting it on my list.

And I thought HOMM V was a MASSIVE improvement, I think they lost their pace with IV but came back up strong with number five.
And M.A.X. I won't really comment on that, but all I will say is massive unbalance between the different factions, it can't hold a candle to Starcraft or Dominions.

PS - The best game of 2005 was God of War :P
[/b]
Arcanum (despite bugs; I didn't encounter annoying ones) is the RPG GOD-GAME, absolutely everything is intriguening (spelling??), even the diary reading was fun for me.
About HOMM series. I just said that, because the graphic change was an annoying one (I like 2D more than 3D, unless it's and engine of ToEE - that ruled. ToEE was the best looking RPG EVER. It features perfect graphics (although the game is tough for me ).

And finally M.A.X.2 - the whole atmosphere and the super AI + never seen actions available made it my #1 strategy game. I even have a book on it's story in developement (started in 2003 end or early 2004 I think). Like I said - the game which would've achieved the best prizes, but had very dated graphics.

EDIT: Sorry, BP, forgot the 2 on M.A.X.2. I was talking about M.A.X.2

BTW, VIVISECTOR: BEAST WITHIN OWNS GoW EASY!!! IMO :P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 18 2006, 04:17 AM) [snapback]255693[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 17 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]255658[/snapback]
Quote:
I more or less enjoyed Assault far more than Adventures because it had its own formula, and unlike Adventures, it only got better, it didn't go downhill like Adventures the instant you beat the first dungeon for example.

It was also the REAL Starfox game, it had Starfox gameplay, and it capitilized on that by expanding it.
[/b]
The first "real" Starfox game...oh my god, dude, you're fighting over the dead carcass of a two-star game!

Let me try to name the good and bad points of Assault:

GOOD:

-flight sequences
-graphics
-Umm...Nintendo?
-Krystal

BAD:

-on foot combat
-repetetive gameplay
-mediocre voiceovers
-horribly unbalanced multiplayer

And while I admit that Adventures isn't the greatest thing in the world, I do like it alot, and think it's more of a SF game than Assault will ever be.

Are we going to stop arguing now, or shall we continue?

PS- I want to play Painkiller very badly...but I don't think my poor computer is up to the task...
[/b][/quote]

Painkiller - best game of 2004 (IMO, phuck HL2), you really gotta get it.
On x64 systems it works x2
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 18-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #45
Morrin
Underground

Aight, here comes.

1. Deus Ex
The most brilliant game ever made and will remain the most brilliant to the destruction of human kind. I hope aliens after thousands of years find this when we are dead, and remember us as maker of the best game in the universe. End of discussion.

2. System Shock 2
Pretty much same than with Deus Ex. Creepy, scary, eerie, heart attack. Elite of the elite.

3. Rome: total realism (mod of vanilla rome: total war)
Strategy simply haven't been better since this game. Every crappy rush rush strategygame haven't appealed to me after this. Also, I happen to be fanatic reader of antique history so the theme is close to me. Original was distrubingly false in historical matter (fantasy units for example: hail roman ninja assassins!)

4. Civilizations (CivNet, windows port)
I haven't ever liked any civilization as much as the first one. Everything just fits together in this version.

5. Pirates! Live the life (newest version)
You just gotta love this game. Gives a nice alternative to the darkness that surrounds most gaming industry today.

7. Stunts
The best racing game ever made. I cannot even say why it is so good.. because it just is!

8. Etc etc
It is REALLY hard to make these games in order (except for first three) and there are lot of good games and I mean a lot. I propably have some games even better than those in the list, but as I said, it is impossible to make perfect absolute list.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 18-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #46
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

M.A.X. 2? Jeeze, the first one was decent, but number two was just bad.

Dark Reign had much better AI interactions that M.A.X. 2.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 19-09-2006, 12:32 AM   #47
Iowa
Game Wizzard

I didn't say Adventures had good voiceovers, in fact, that is certainly a flaw in the game (I too hit Tricky repeatedly with the staff about every time I play).

Morrin: Is Deus Ex for the PC? And if so, will it work with a 98, 16MB graphics card, and a 330MHZ proccessor?

Oh, damn it! I forgot RE4!

In fact, that actually is in my top ten...ah damn! I forgot Guitar Hero also!

Well, you can read my review that i've already assembled for the latter: GH Review

I'll write one for Resident Evil 4 in a bit, but now I have to go...i'll give you a preview: it gets a ten out of ten!
Old 19-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #48
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

I've been plugging a few hours into Command, and it's quite well done, but it lacks the whole Starfox dramatic versatile scrolling levels. Everything is in all range mode, but the whole strategic Risk-esque factor is pretty well implemented.

And I know Nintendo isn't the most well looked upon platform around here, but dammit, Orcarina of Time #1.
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 19-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #49
Morrin
Underground

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Sep 19 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]255951[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Morrin: Is Deus Ex for the PC? And if so, will it work with a 98, 16MB graphics card, and a 330MHZ proccessor?

[/b]
Yes, it's for pc. There's also PS2 version but I take absolutely no repsonsibility upon my words on that version. It looked pretty crappy to me.. no offense, PS2 users.

When I got it days back, I had computer something like this:

Intel Celeron 400MHz
Voodoo 3 2000 16Mb
16 Mb (I think it was)

And it ran just nicely. The engine and the game was designed for voodoo cards (unreal engine) and I remember hearing lot's of complaints of lagginess in non-voodo machines in those days. So I think it could work, maybe little performance problems in bigger areas.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 19-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #50
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Sep 19 2006, 01:45 AM) [snapback]255931[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
M.A.X. 2? Jeeze, the first one was decent, but number two was just bad.

Dark Reign had much better AI interactions that M.A.X. 2.
[/b]
IMO...
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546