Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #131

ACK! I'm having a big issue in X-Com.

Can anyone help me?

The first time I played, I did terrible, scored negative monthly ratings every time, and eventually lost the USA to the aliens.

Second time around, complete opposite, 1000+ monthly ratings every month, taking down every sighted UFO and/or defeating their forces at land.

April 1999 comes around...suddenly the USA is buzzing with UFOs. I take down 2 larges and various smalls, but allow two very larges to conduct their business in Canada and USA untouched, big mistake. An infiltration mission succeeds and I lose USA. So I reload my save and redo April, this time I take out both battleships as soon as I can (after they land on the USA), and a large abductor as well. Another large ship manages to slip away before I can get it. This is on the 14th. So I fast forward to the end of the month to see what happens, skipping through completed research notifications and spottings of small craft (no terrorism site comes up, though it does if I don't fast forward). At the end of the month...

USA STILL GOES TO THE ALIENS.

What the hell is up? If I play too poorly I lose them? If I play too well I lose them? This wouldn't be such an issue if my base wasn't /IN/ USA.

...what do I do? =(

Old 14-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #132
another_guest

Are you sure it's only because of what happened in April? Usually a country/territory is only gradually won over by the aliens, at least that's been my experience. Usually the ratings you got by a particular government started dropping, and after 3 or more months like that, they changed sides.
Mind you, I'm not sure whether this is always the case, but couldn't that be the reason?
Because from your description it looks like you couldn't do much more -except also cleaning up the small landing sites at the end of April.

Old 14-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest@Feb 14 2005, 11:44 AM
Are you sure it's only because of what happened in April? Usually a country/territory is only gradually won over by the aliens, at least that's been my experience. Usually the ratings you got by a particular government started dropping, and after 3 or more months like that, they changed sides.
Mind you, I'm not sure whether this is always the case, but couldn't that be the reason?
Because from your description it looks like you couldn't do much more -except also cleaning up the small landing sites at the end of April.
I tried finishing off the month. Got a rating of 3,000 and still lost USA.

How implausible would it be to sack my base and move over to the radar base in Eurasia?

Old 14-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #134

By the way...on my April save, I found a base in the USA on the 20th, it could of been there longer ... it could of been there in January. However I had still been kicking a lot of behind and the USA had been raising my funds every month until April when they suddenly left me.

I checked the graphis, it shows alien activity in the USA spiked in April, but X-Com activity in the USA also spiked in April accordingly.

All in all I just don't see what I was doing wrong.

Old 14-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #135

Oh and destroying the base on the 20th did not stop them alien loving Americans from converting...

Old 14-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #136
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Sometimes this game does that to you, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do but carry on and try to do the best you can (just like real life). Remember that funding from countries isn't the only way to get money (selling alien weapons/equipment will get you rich very fast).
The alien base is the most likely cause of their infiltration. When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 14-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Feb 14 2005, 12:29 PM
Sometimes this game does that to you, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do but carry on and try to do the best you can (just like real life). Remember that funding from countries isn't the only way to get money (selling alien weapons/equipment will get you rich very fast).
The alien base is the most likely cause of their infiltration. When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.
I destroyed all the battleships...albeit not until after they landed. Shouldn't that prevent the success of the infiltration? :-/

Also, it's not about the funds. It's about the fact that my base is in the USA. It's a huge waste of opportunity to have your base in a country that doesn't support you. And I'm only 4 months into the game.

That said I really don't want to restart, again, because of something silly like this that probably shouldn't have happened.

But it looks like I might have to.

Old 14-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #138
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Feb 14 2005, 12:29 PM
When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.
Something also handy to remember, what you could do is totally fill the command room with smoke from smoke grenades - I captured not only a sectoid commander doing this, but a medic and navigator too - and I got info on Etherials! Woohoo - M.C labs!

So don't forget the smoke (from grenades or explosions) can also stun aliens. Just remember that it might take a while.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 14-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #139
XIthTalon

Hey guys this is my first post in these forums so please be nice LOL...

I have just brought a copy of X-Com UFO Enemy unknown off e-bay for ?15 PC Rom version "DONT SAY A WORD!" and when i try to run it the Graphics are over sizes in a big way.

I am working off Windows XP, i think i need some sort of patch but cant seem to find it .

Can any of you kind people please point me in some sort of direction for this patch to make this beautiful and legendary game work on my L-Top.

I used to play this on the Playstation and loved it to bits when i was a lot younger and have been looking for it ever since...

So Please Help!!! LOL

Thanks Guys

Talon AkA N00B!
XIthTalon is offline                         Send a private message to XIthTalon
Old 14-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #140
xcom freak
Games Master

:blink: Xcom :blink: Playstation :eeeeeh:
xcom freak is offline                         Send a private message to xcom freak