Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #21
Japo
Autonomous human

wchar_t is defined even in C89, but you have to include <stdlib.h> or <stddef.h>.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_character#C.2FC.2B.2B
Quote:
The wide characters are defined using datatype wchar_t, which in the original C90 standard was defined as
"an integral type whose range of values can represent distinct codes for all members of the largest extended character set specified among the supported locales" (ISO 9899:1990 §4.1.5)
I've even tried it in TurboC++ 1.01 for DOS (not the Unicode program above, only one with a wchar_t instead of char, and literals preceded with L. Of course the Unicode part can be platform dependent, but I think nowadays it'll be standard.

Why a teacher would make someone who's starting to program deal with this, is beyond me...

Last edited by Japo; 04-09-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

You are right, I stand corrected.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
Japo
Autonomous human

Yep I had no idea myself, I just researched it on the go, so I was learning too. I've tried enabling the "compile as C" (as opposed to C++) in Visual Studio and this code works, I think it should be portable to any Unicode-enabled platform:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <io.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

int main(void)
{	
	_setmode(_fileno(stdout), _O_U16TEXT);
	wprintf(L"Hell\u00f8 wørld!\n");
	return 0;
}
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

Well, we are always learning. I researched a bit more and it seems wchar_t has no defined size, and could be only 8 bits wide, so it doesn't look portable.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Japo
Autonomous human

As portable as it gets in this case, I think. In practice I think in most (all non embedded) implementations wchar_t will be wider than 8-bit, but the bigger risk is no Unicode support (probably compile time error that _O_U16TEXT isn't defined, like I get in TC++ 1.01). That's why I like C# or D in which regular strings are always already Unicode. Also standards are as useful as they are but not more (ask SQL...)

Last edited by Japo; 06-09-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #26
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I need to ask again:

This time, I'm trying to write a code (C) that will generate prime numbers. Thing is, all the sample code I've seen checks each number up against all other, lower, natural numbers but the point is, that is not necessary and in fact will save me a LOT of time as the primes get larger if I only check up against the lower primes I generate.

The idea is to write the primes to a txt file (since 10,000,000,000 primes can take up a lot of memory), and read this list to check the candidate number.

Problem is: I use fscanf and it really isn't playing ball. Either it reads the entire list as one number or it stops reading as soon as it hits a space or new line.

Is there a neat way of reading each number in the list while allowing for space and new line?

Also, is there a way to jump straight to the last number in the list instead of having to go through the entire nightmare everytime I want to resume the job?

The idea here is, when I want to resume the job after a break, I want the program to pick the last prime found + 1 as the new candidate.

Last edited by Mighty Midget; 02-07-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 05-07-2014, 02:04 AM   #27
Japo
Autonomous human

The problem is that if you don't want to read the whole file in one go, you need the FILE pointer to be moved from the start of the file to where you finished the last read.

Use fread(), it moves the pointer automatically, and allows you to read any number of numbers in each call. I think binary mode will be better than text.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kt0etdcs.aspx
Quote:
The file pointer associated with stream (if there is one) is increased by the number of bytes actually read.