Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
Sameeralord
Game freak

Hi Guys,
I need help from you guys for one of my art projects.

The project is on the famous artwork SCREAM by Edvard Munch. I'm going to post a the picture but I'm sure most of you guys know this artwork.

The question is,
Discuss the brushstrokes in Munch's famous artwork "The Scream", describe what effect and emotion it has created?

Confusion I have is do I have talk about the colours, wavy lines or what to they mean by brushstrokes.(I'm a begginer)

Help would be really appreciated thanks.

I already pm this to Void but as the project's due date is closing in I started a topic for this.

Sameeralord
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 24-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just ask your teacher that question? That's what teachers are for, right? If the question really just says "discuss the brushstrokes", that's exactly what you need to do. I don't want to do your homework for you, really, but a good point to start would be to state that you can actually see individual brushstrokes and then go on to questions like "How do you imagine Munch painting it? Does it look like he spent years working on the details, painting with a very fine brush?" Also, the picture probably had some sort of effect on you when you first saw it. Do you think that effect would be the same if you couldn't see the brushstrokes? Describe what the brushstrokes look like and what they do. Are they straight and and neat and is the entire picture covered with paint? You know, that sort of thing.

Another thing you might do if you don't mind a bit of extra work is to look at Munch's other Scream pictures (he painted and drew the same motive several times) and examine how the strokes differ from version to version. Or do they not differ at all, perhaps?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 24-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This might help :P

Nah, JK. Raffles has good points. Listen to what she says!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 24-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Sameeralord
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Nov 24 2005, 08:50 AM
Hmm, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just ask your teacher that question? That's what teachers are for, right? If the question really just says "discuss the brushstrokes", that's exactly what you need to do. I don't want to do your homework for you, really, but a good point to start would be to state that you can actually see individual brushstrokes and then go on to questions like "How do you imagine Munch painting it? Does it look like he spent years working on the details, painting with a very fine brush?" Also, the picture probably had some sort of effect on you when you first saw it. Do you think that effect would be the same if you couldn't see the brushstrokes? Describe what the brushstrokes look like and what they do. Are they straight and and neat and is the entire picture covered with paint? You know, that sort of thing.

Another thing you might do if you don't mind a bit of extra work is to look at Munch's other Scream pictures (he painted and drew the same motive several times) and examine how the strokes differ from version to version. Or do they not differ at all, perhaps?
Actually I'm not letting you all do my homework. The project doesn't consist of one question and there are many other questions in the project I have already done them. This is the one I'm stuck in and I'm not asking you to give me the answer straightaway. I won't see the art teacher until next week and I'm doing art as a compulsory subject for this year. I'm not very experienced in paintings as most of the work we have done are drawing shapes,collages etc. I would look at the things you said and I appreaciate it k: but first can anyone just give me a start showing one brushstroke feature. I know what are brushstrokes but can anyone please clearly explain it.
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 24-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Basically, just look at the lines and describe what they look like and what they do. For example you may have noticed that there are very few straight lines in the picture, and that they are concentrated at one specific area. What effect does that have on the rest of the picture?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 24-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

I could tell you a lot about this picture (it was part of my last year's "thesis") but since the question is brushstrokes-focused I can say Raffles has hit the right button.

The only straight, "balanced" strokes are the one representing the two men and the bridge. The landscape is made of wavy lines, and so is the central character (willingly deformed to be interpreted both as a man or as a woman, the intent being to represent any human being -no sex, no race, no age-). This lack of balance represents the loss of armony between the man and the world/nature, and generally an expression of universal pain. The sky is fiery and fearsome instead of calm and blue, the fjord a disquieting yellowish-bluish-blackish pond, almost a whirlwind ready to crush the nearby boats. The scream is a scream of horror and weakness and desperation, a scream so powerful yet mute, a subjective terror that doesn't affect the two people who keep walking quietly.

You should look for some more Screams as suggested by Raffles, 'cause a comparison can prove to be very useful - in previous versions you'll notice how the main character is more definite, in later ones how the colours become ever more vivid and strong. Also, use my interpretation as an inspiration more than just copy-pasting it, since I feel your teacher wants to know your feelings (which can be very different from these) and not the ones of some internet forum guy.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 24-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Wikipedia has quite a lot of info available as well!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 24-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Brushstrokes are so "undefined" and "merged" that all seems to "flow"... just like in a dream, well, a nightmare!

And, you know, a nightmare is a place were we can experience the pure fear! :twisted:
Old 24-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I agree with what Quinto said.

The brushstrokes represent to me a dreamscape. The figure to me is simply somebody that has seen themselves for what they really are and as a result has entered a state of severe depression. The brushing helps portray the figures confusion and ill ability to find solid rooting with his surroundings. They are slightly chaotic and random yet ordered at the same time. The artwork itself fascinates me but I hate the use of colour.

Hope my random rambling helped a tiny bit.

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 05-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
Sameeralord
Game freak

Sorry to reply so late,
I was busy.Anyways,
Thanks for all the help guys. Everyones contributions were vital and helped in many areas of the project.