Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohne Mitleid View Post
Thanks for the thumbs up and the name change.

I have uploaded the Modded Atlantis and the Level 1 map. I made a mistake though, and created the Atlantis directory and then dropped the two files outside of that directory , so they will need to be moved. They should be easily identifiable since they both start with 'Atlantis'.

Thanks!
Game Folder should always be renamed with the FULL title. so remember it for the next time and thank you.

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 22-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Game Folder should always be renamed with the FULL title. so remember it for the next time and thank you.
I am sorry, I misunderstood the initial post about submitting material to Abandonia.
Quote:
when creating the game's archive, place all the files in a folder, give the folder a 8-character title (related to the original game name; this is referred mostly to DOS/PC Booter games.) and only then archive it in .zip
I'll make note of it.
Ohne
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 26-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default New Zool 2 archive

I modded a combination of things and ended up with a new archive.
New archive contents:
  • Fully functional end-to-end cracked game
  • Still frame snapshots instead of animations (full functionality and smaller size)
  • Readme.txt file for setup
  • DOSBox.conf setup requirements
The new archive is about 1.3Mb as opposed to the 1.08Mb available on Abandonia. I hope that is an acceptable size increase.

I also have a question about abandoned issues with the manual. What are the rules / laws regarding remaking a manual? I know I did one for Die Hard, but that one was from scratch. I downloaded the Zool 2 manual from Abandonia but it isn't a very good scan. I prefer something legible, rather than a scan for nostalgia's sake. Can I use the text "as-is" to create a new manual, or is that in violation of some copyright laws (or other unknown violation)? If the permissions regarding a remake are questionable, I'll just leave it alone.
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid
Old 26-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's not about permission, we like to supply original game as well as extras. Nostalgia as well as preservation. However, anything useful that you may create can be added too along with the original extra. That shouldn't be a problem if there is a need for it.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 29-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
It's not about permission, we like to supply original game as well as extras. Nostalgia as well as preservation. However, anything useful that you may create can be added too along with the original extra. That shouldn't be a problem if there is a need for it.
Okay, thank you. I've thought about this and there is really so much else I could be doing here that it seems I should probably direct my resources toward adding new things to the site.
Old 29-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default Zool 2 - Complete / 1830 Railroads etc. question

New cracked archive including newly created Zool 2 icon, Intro AVI with animations from full game, screenshots of all levels and finally, the review.

The review is formatted for Abandonia's formatting style so it should save any reviewers time since they won't have to deal with minor edits, mainly italics.

Next up: 1830 Railroads & Robber Barons
The review states:
The only bad thing about this game is the copy-protection. The readme claims you will only be asked the first time you play the game. This is not true. You will be asked twice every time you start a new game or load an existing one. The manual and codes can be found in the extras section and I suggest keeping it open in the background so you can easily find it when you need it.

I have cracked the EXE, but it's not exactly a "clean" copy-protection bypass. This just means you have to press ENTER through all of the protection prompts. This should still be preferable to having to look the codes up in the manual.

Now the question is what should I do with it? I don't know if you would want to include it in a new archive with an additional ReadMe.txt file explaining the game is cracked, if it should be placed in the Extras section, or if it is wanted at all. It would also change the nature of the Review (I think? ).

On to the next one...
Ohne
Old 30-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

We can always modify the "Notes" part of the review, many games we have on site are cracked to bypass the copyprotection and avoid the annoyance to people, so I think it's ok to add
Old 31-01-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default 1830 Railroads & Robber Barons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We can always modify the "Notes" part of the review, many games we have on site are cracked to bypass the copyprotection and avoid the annoyance to people, so I think it's ok to add
Archive (cracked) uploaded

Includes ReadMe.txt as follows:

Copy protection bypass:
The first time you play, you will be prompted to look up a word in the manual after the first round of stock purchasing is complete. Simply press ENTER to bypass all of the protection verification prompts.
The manual claims: (after verification)... you will never need to worry about copy protection again unless you copy the program to another machine or reinstall it.
After initial testing, this seemed to be the case.
Old 31-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #19
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

The archive has been substituted correctly and notes have been added to the review
Thank you very much!
(I've added PoEs manually because this isn't a real update )

Regarding Zool 2 we will probably prepare a full update for it since you have uploaded lot of (new) content
Old 31-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

1830 - That's cool!
Zool 2 should go through the same review process so Zool 2 is cool 2!

Thank you!