Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Offers
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
BonzaiThePenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
No problem... as you can see, you are natural for contributing
Haha, and you are a perfect fit for maintaining this community. Very patient and dedicated.

Anyway, review's up. I think I'm finished submitting this game, so I'll start going through the other games in the pack over the next few days. Perhaps I can use this newfound experience to get the games up and running.
BonzaiThePenguin is offline                         Send a private message to BonzaiThePenguin
Old 18-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzaiThePenguin View Post
Haha, and you are a perfect fit for maintaining this community. Very patient and dedicated.

Anyway, review's up. I think I'm finished submitting this game, so I'll start going through the other games in the pack over the next few days. Perhaps I can use this newfound experience to get the games up and running.
Music for my ears, as well for ears of all retro gamers. You have support of millions... definitely
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 19-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
BonzaiThePenguin

Alright, I was able to get the other games working sorta, but only with the CD-ROM inserted. Copying the files to the hard drive didn't work.

To show how little effort was put into this software "pack", two of the games install different versions of QuickTime which are incompatible with each other. I had to manually delete the DLLs for both versions of QuickTime (as it does not include an uninstaller) and reinstall only one of them.

Last edited by BonzaiThePenguin; 19-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
BonzaiThePenguin is offline                         Send a private message to BonzaiThePenguin
Old 19-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

WTF??? That can't be right.... right? Damn, I have no idea how to handle it.

Well, if we put those games on site, we need a big flashing notice on review page... Actually, we could create some batch files to take care of those... But it's still a risk. How big is the ISO of the CD? And can remaining 3 games be played without this kind of hassle?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 20-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #15
BonzaiThePenguin

I've been going through the various EXE files for Circus! to see if I can get it to point to the DLLs inside its own folder instead of installing it to C:\Windows.

Which brings up an interesting question: are you looking for abandonware that is bit-for-bit equivalent to what was originally sold, or is it okay to make some modifications in the interest of making it playable?
Old 20-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It is better to be playable, and we can offer original installer (or something) as extra.

I'm not sure how do you hack into EXE. Good luck. You need help (I can ask someone that might know something about it)?

Also, what about games that don't need QuickTime? are they fine?
Old 20-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
BonzaiThePenguin

The EXE has the strings in plaintext, as in I can open the EXE in a text editor and see things like "SHOW\ELDANCE1.DIR". In theory I can change them to anything of the same length and just rename the files to match whatever I change it to. I also have some experience in "decompiling" and reverse-engineering DLL files, and the code for checking for the CD is stored in a separate DLL, so maybe I can come up with something that removes the check and lets me run it off the hard drive.

I'm working on Circus! first because I had never played it before and discovered that the music, graphics, and characters are all fantastic.
Old 20-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
BonzaiThePenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko river View Post
Also, what about games that don't need QuickTime? are they fine?
All of them appear to need QuickTime, but Math Ace Jr. uses the QT libraries included in its own folder. I'm not sure why the other games feel the need to sprawl the DLLs all over my hard drive when it's clearly not necessary.
Old 20-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well good luck then, I hope your efforts end with success