Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #1
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

This was mentioned briefly sometime in the past, and i think it's a great idea.What it means is more reviews for the same game.For example the review for Kyrandia 2 was done by me.So Picard has a few things to add to the review, or he thinks the review is not worthy of the game(quality wise).So he makes another review.The second review would be linked through a link at the bottom of the page.So as to not arrouse any conflicts the first review for the game would still be the primary review(ie the first review you see when you access the game page).:

Also another suggestion i wanted to make was that all the guides in the troubleshooting forum be moved to the main section of the site, it would be more convenient for the visitor.We could have a guide section, just under the FAQ

The layout for the page could be something like this:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Hey that'd be a cool idea, gives a different perspective from another user, broadens the opinion base.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 31-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

And increases the work of the translators with an umlimited amount.
Old 31-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

basically this is a nice idea, omuletzu!

but i think, providing another complete review make it difficult for users to focus
on the most important details. we could supply a subsection containing additional
information, which have been neglected in the main review. however i think adding
multiple reviews would make it not easy to get a brief impression of the game...

the actual situation is, that any additional information for a game are handled in
the according thread in the forum. it IS useful to make a note about vital data,
which have been left out in the main review, but this should not be done in a
separate area, if not absolutely necessary...
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 31-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
And increases the work of the translators with an umlimited amount.
Maybe. But then it would prevent some mistakes I saw in a few certain reviews. Plus people would not bitch about not being able to review their fave game because somebody else is doing that. In the large scope, you and Kosta would also get your reviews _much_ faster, as if two people are working separately on same game, they begin to compete, since each wants _his_ review to be the one on the main site.
You could also introduce a review rating system. So that the review with the highest rating shows up as the primary one. Would increase quality of some reviews a damn lot...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

you wouldn't need to translate all the reviews then, just the main one. i'm not sure - there are some reviews that are pretty naff tbh - especially some of the early ones where the focus was just on getting things up, but on the other hand it might discourage some people from writing reviews (or encourage them, not sure which...)
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 31-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Mar 31 2005, 02:12 PM
Plus people would not bitch about not being able to review their fave game because somebody else is doing that.
This implies that there would be one than one exstra review for some games, and probably quite a few for the most popular ones. Frankly, if people want to review their favourite game, they can do it at amazon ot moby.

I agree that some of the reviews are aren't very well done. Some are too short and some fail to do anything but deliver shallow praise for the game in question. That said, I'm not sure I think this is a good idea. What if the new review for a certain game is just as bad? Will it be accepted? And how many reviews for one game will be accepted? I'd hate to see a situation where a game like Monkey Island has 100 reviews. I mean it's not like anybody will ever read them.

The best solution, IMO, would be if someone could enhance the already existing reviews, without changing what it already says (basically just writing exstra stuff in a review). That way both the original writer and the new one would be credited for writing it. Of course this would require some good quality control, as the goal is to increase quality, not quantity.

*edit*

I agree about moving the guides to the main section. That would definitely help a few people, and avoid some of the usual "how do I run this game" questions.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 31-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That's why I suggested a rating system. And, I don't think that there would be so many reviews around... if I am wrong, there can always be a minimum size cap of around 200 words (preventing "wooot woot woot diz game ROXXORZ TEH BIG 1!!! oneoneone111!!!" situations) and a limit of about 10-15 reviews max per game.
It's always good to see a different point of view on a particular title too.

And, I don't mean bad reviews, I mean those that were really screwed up (sometimes the reviewers were lazy and made things up as they went).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I really don't see how these reviews couldn't serve a purpose.I mean they're just there, if you want to read them, click the link, if you only want an impression on the game, skim through the primary review, and get your opinion.
If you want to know more about the game, go to another review, if you're satisfied then just download it.It's as simple as that.
My point proven, there is one situation that stands: more workload for the translators.This is a problem indeed.Perhaps the secondary reviews would be neglected, and only the primary reviews would get translated... of course this is only a short time solution.Eventually you would still have to translate the reviews, and by then their numbers would be sky high...

Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 31-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Dino
Call me Edmund

I agree with Omuletzu completely... Infact, I mentioned that idea some time ago, but it didn't get adequate response...