Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #131
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanzz View Post
This good gentleman purported kindly to host the manual on his user page. But he is now banned. Clearly, the b&hammer swinger didn't play Railroad Tycoon
It wouldn't have changed anything. He used his administrative access powers to remove all other admins and then install some of his associates instead. That's not something one can do without consequences.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #132
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
It wouldn't have changed anything. He used his administrative access powers to remove all other admins and then install some of his associates instead. That's not something one can do without consequences.
Ah, gotcha

Anyway, I rooted around in my basement for the manual but no luck. Kind of a shame about this, because this poor thread is 13 pages of people asking how to lay track, lol...

I came on here meaning to ask for strategies on tycoon, the hard difficulty. I can't seem to turn any profit on it, because I think each step up reduces your fares.
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 14-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #133
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

http://www.freegameempire.com/games/...-Tycoon/manual

Available here. Can we link it in the review? Kthks.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 14-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #134
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Server doesn't respond, at the moment.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #135
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

This attachement brought to you by Google Cache necromancy.
Attached Files
File Type: rar rrt.rar (79.0 KB, 254 views)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #136
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanzz View Post
... I came on here meaning to ask for strategies on tycoon, the hard difficulty. I can't seem to turn any profit on it, because I think each step up reduces your fares.
Not sure anymore since it's probably been more than a decade since I played this, but on the hardest difficulty levels I usually started in Europe, connecting the 2 biggest cities in the Belgium / Netherlands area (e.g. Antwerp, Brussels) and if the passenger and mail volume allowed it, have 2 trains run between those stations. I would then branch from the biggest town to another big one (e.g. further North in the Netherlands or South to France), this time only 1 train because 2 would drain the city that's shared between those routes. Provided I have the cash, I'd then buy a train to run the longest route between those 3 cities, on highest priority.

By all means avoid steep grades in the early stages because those trains can't cope with them. Similarly, try to go for a train that runs at high speeds with 2-3 carriages since speed is key to get a decent income and run a profit in the end.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #137
tristanzz
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_guest View Post
Not sure anymore since it's probably been more than a decade since I played this, but on the hardest difficulty levels I usually started in Europe, connecting the 2 biggest cities in the Belgium / Netherlands area (e.g. Antwerp, Brussels) and if the passenger and mail volume allowed it, have 2 trains run between those stations. I would then branch from the biggest town to another big one (e.g. further North in the Netherlands or South to France), this time only 1 train because 2 would drain the city that's shared between those routes. Provided I have the cash, I'd then buy a train to run the longest route between those 3 cities, on highest priority.

By all means avoid steep grades in the early stages because those trains can't cope with them. Similarly, try to go for a train that runs at high speeds with 2-3 carriages since speed is key to get a decent income and run a profit in the end.
OK, I was trying Western US. I can see why you advise Europe. Bigger cities, faster trains, and much easier terrain. This doesn't much affect the level of competition, so much as the raw profitability. I was having a real problem with the West. It seems like freight routes in particular just can't pay for themselves, even when you run big east/west routes (fares are higher for east/west than north/south). So for the West, I put your 2 trains per route idea to work, and just stuck with mail and passengers. It seems that microing the first fiscal year of a route is important (give all trains on a route "proceed" orders at the stations, and double-track the exact square at which they would crash). This maximizes the speed of service during the crucial first years, when fares are doubled. The double fares also make the company stock price go way above what it should be. To take advantage of this, I took out a bunch of bonds and loaded up on stock before earnings got reported.

The mail and passengers thing is kind of unfortunate... I was looking forward to making more interesting freight routes but if the rather disappointing fares don't kill you, the fact that industries seem to shut down all the time will!
tristanzz is offline                         Send a private message to tristanzz
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #138
Japo
Autonomous human

Yes, I also find it disappointing how unprofitable are freight routes. They're cool to find and set up, but you can always make more money carrying passengers and mail to any town.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #139
Souricette
Thumbs down How to launch this game ?

I've unzipped the files downloaded, but my laptop says "Cette application ne peut pas s'exécuter sur votre PC" (wich means my PC can't run it).
How solve this complication ?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #140
SD40-2

Not to be rude, but Railroad Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon Deluxe will not run natively on Windows systems.

You'll need a copy of DOSBox. Latest Version is fine.

I'm not sure if this is ok, but I used this Tutorial here, on the website.

Running on max cycles seems to be fine.

Note - When laying track, turn off num-lock. Turn it back on to scroll around the map.

Enjoy!
SD40-2 is offline                         Send a private message to SD40-2