Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
mitchellA

Default [Pex] Gangsters: Organized Crime (?)

Many years ago I bought a mafia game that was on CD, but for DOS (it was the second or third game I ever purchased on CD). It came with 4 scenarios and a freestyle game creator/editor. Unfortunately, the editor didn't work. There was a patch to fix the game, but this was before the Internet was readily available and at 2400 baud and at international long distance rates, getting the patch was not an option.
This was also before Canada and the US had a computer hardware/software agreement in place and the cost of buying a CD with the patch, paying for it to be shipped, and paying customs brokerage fees was prohibitive as well. Since I quickly grew bored with playing the 4 scenarios over and over, I threw the game out. But I would like to play it again, and preferably with the patched editor.

What I can remember about the game:
1. Set during the prohibition era.
2. A city map that showed your controlled neighborhoods, shared or unoccupied neighborhoods, and neighborhoods occupied by other criminal leaders. When a neighborhood was selected by clicking on it, a top down view of that neighborhood became available.
3. Each neighborhood had a variety of buildings with businesses that could be extorted depending upon what kind of neighborhood it was (docks, industrial, residential, etc.). You hired henchmen (with different types of skills [knife, gun, bomb, extortion, recruiting, etc.]) and sent them through the neighborhoods to extort money, recruit more henchmen, and to kill the opposition.
3A. Some businesses refused and the owners had to be beaten or killed to get others to fall in line.
3B. Some business owners were more afraid of your competition than you and you needed to weaken or eliminate the competition (they were trying to do the same thing to you) before you would get paid.
3C. Gang wars meant dead henchmen or henchmen sent to prison, so you had to go to various bars around the city to recruit more (you sent one or more of your henchmen to do the recruiting). Some potential henchmen refused to join until you had sufficient power or sent the right henchman to do the recruiting... hopefully that henchman wasn't dead or in jail.
4. You could buy or steal cars.
4A. A great car really helped your recruiters get new henchmen.
4B. A stolen car helped you to avoid being recognized so you could sneak up on your opponents and shoot or throw bombs from the car.

I think there were prostitution and bank robbing elements as well, but I am not certain.

Any help in identifying the game and perhaps a site where I could download it would be appreciated.
PS: Because the CD was accidentally shipped with the Demo version of the game, and due to the difficulty in getting the patch, I realize the game died a quick death. If no one knows its name or availability I would not be surprised. It's too bad, the game had the potential to be another Master of Orion or Master of Magic for repeatable playability (I still play those latter two games to completion once or twice a month each).
mitchellA is offline                         Send a private message to mitchellA
Old 13-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Pex
Game Wizzard

Sounds like Gangsters: Organized Crime to me. There was second part as well, called Gangsters II.
Old 13-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The only 1980's title that seems similar to your description is this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/king-of-chicago

Others are all in the mid to late 1990's rather than 1989 as you're posting. The use of colors (VGA? SVGA?) and CD-ROM medium suggests 199x as a more likely time frame.

Mob Rule in particular sounds similar to your description: http://www.mobygames.com/game/mob-rule

http://www.mobygames.com/game/legal-crime
http://www.mobygames.com/game/beatdown
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dime-city/

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 13-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
mitchellA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Sounds like Gangsters: Organized Crime to me. There was second part as well, called Gangsters II.
Thank you Pex.
Judging from the screenshots I've seen, this is indeed the game I am looking for (or its successor). Funny thing is that this is a Windows game, and I never looked at it because the game I played was definitely a DOS game.

PS: The Fifth Horseman may be right, it could have come out any time before 1994 when I bought the Wing Commander Privateer CD.
mitchellA is offline                         Send a private message to mitchellA
Old 22-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Bought the gog-version a few days ago. The game still is very deep and quite hard. Unfortunately it doesn't really run very well on my notebook... Some need of patching here I believe!
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 23-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

That's what I always wondered: does GOG integrate the last patches? There were a few for Gangsters (look for them at dlh.net).
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS