Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #481
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Thievery won't be a problem, the skill will be 35 lower than for a gnome robber of the same level, but since you get +2 for every level and level much faster you'll even have far better thieving skills than the average thief in a party of 6.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 19-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #482
Xebarsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonster View Post
Thievery won't be a problem, the skill will be 35 lower than for a gnome robber of the same level, but since you get +2 for every level and level much faster you'll even have far better thieving skills than the average thief in a party of 6.
Excellent, half-orc ninja it is. However, I've thought of another complication..

I won't be able to cast light when I'm in dungeons, am I going to have to crawl through the whole place blind or is there an easy way to obtain items that can cast light?
Xebarsis is offline                         Send a private message to Xebarsis
Old 20-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #483
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

You need an item which can cast the light spell, day of protection or day of sorcery also include light.
I don't remember if donating at temples grants the light spell too.

You can enforce getting an item for casting the light spell if you reload before looting locations where you usually get nonmagical weapons or armor.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 24-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #484
KZA
Default Beat WoX with a one char party on warrior difficulty.

I dont know if i set any firsts or anything, but i did just beat the game with just a ninja. I even killed the megadragon. It really wasnt too hard since all of the power ups that one usually has to divide among the whole party went to one person.

i did carry around a dead level 1 char just so that pathfinding and mountain climbing would work.

Old 24-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #485
KZA
Default lol i just read the last few pages...

I see others are trying this out now too. Its quite do-able. The hardest part of the game was probably sandcaster, and the great western tower. once you get some levels its a breeze. even the minotaur dungeon was a breeze with solid obsidian gear from those boulders in the desert.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #486
DaveMC

Question Problem with Town Portal item

I'm running World Of Xeen on DOSBox 0.72, 7000 cycles, Frameskip 0. Up til now it's been running perfectly, no problems at all except for a slight stutter in the music background in the trainers in Castleview, Darkside. My party is only at levels 15-16 currently. Recently, I found a couple of items of Town Portal, which none of my characters have as spells yet. When I try to use one, no matter where I try, in a dungeon, town, or on the land, I crash out of the game immediately, back to the DOSBox command line. The error I see there is: Error drawing sprite in window: 0000 handle: 0009 frame: 0008!

Has anyone encountered and solved this problem before, or has the DOSBox knowledge to enable me to solve the problem myself?

Thanks for any help given.
DaveMC is offline                         Send a private message to DaveMC
Old 01-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #487
red_avatar
Administrator

You're not the only one with this problem:

Quote:
There are two issues I have with this game, first the speech always locks the game so I have to turn sound effects off, secondly when using the town portal spell (but not the mirrors) it locks up, or if I change the cycle setting to max instead of auto drops the game with the message. "error drawing sprite in window" any help would be great.
This was found on the DOSBox forum. The cycle thing makes me guess that it's based on the amount of cycles you use. Try setting your cycles lower than 7000 right before you use the scroll (to 4000 or so) or raise it to 15000. Also try switching between dynamic and normal core.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #488
DaveMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
You're not the only one with this problem:

This was found on the DOSBox forum. The cycle thing makes me guess that it's based on the amount of cycles you use. Try setting your cycles lower than 7000 right before you use the scroll (to 4000 or so) or raise it to 15000. Also try switching between dynamic and normal core.
Ok, tried going from 4000 to 15000 cycles in increments of 500 and trying the spell after each increment. Always crashed out after each try. Tried switching to dynamic core, with cycles set to max, crashed out. Tried changing the Frameskip from 0 - 5, in increments of 1, crashed out every time.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. I guess I'll just try to play the game without using Town Portal.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #489
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

dynamic core is usually set by auto i think

try using core full or core normal
Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #490
DaveMC

Tried using both core=full, and core=normal, with cycles=max, and also cycles at 4000 to 20000 cycles, implemented at 500 cycle increments. Still crashes.