Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
WildZeppelin
Super Freak

I've gotten XCOM to work on dosbox and play very nicely. Problem is... after a decent while when you're well into the game, I get a constant bad gliche. During a mission or whatever part it decides to happen, the screen turns into large text that runs up the screen in various CGA colors, and the game bombs out. It happens to fast to pause it because you don't know when to expect it. Thing is, once this happens once, no matter what save you start up with, or what point in the game or new game you start, it happens and won't let you play anymore. Anyone know how to prevent this or what I'm talking about?
WildZeppelin is offline                         Send a private message to WildZeppelin
Old 17-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Data
retired

which sound configuration did you select ?

(and save often)
Old 17-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Nigga
Forum hobbit

I've got a little problem, too!
Help me, please

I use Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, and have installed XCom-3.
Everything is fine... until the game starts!
I can only watch the intro sequence, that's all!!!
After it ends (or I press ESC), the game just exits without any messages!

I've tried to configure it to run without any sound, but the problem still remains!!!

On my virtual PC, I use Windows 95. I thought that's the problem, but even when I installed XCom under DOS, the game acts exactly the same way - just instead of quitting to the prompt, it causes a "Virtual PC fatal error (3)", which causes the virtual PC to reset.

When the game is being installed, all the requirements are ok - even the files/buffers and the CD-ROM speed!

I just don't know what to do...

My host OS is Window XP Professional (SP2). Under it the game runs much worse with the same problem!
This also relates to DOSBox.

The same problem everywhere - intro sequence is shown, but the game doesn't want to start!!! Not even the main menu...

Maybe the problem is that I don't have a real "X-Com Apocalypse" CD, so I use a grabbed CD image in a virtual CD-ROM drive created by Paragon CD-drive emulator??? The CD image was grabbed from an original CD.
That original CD had no problems while installing or running the game some years ago on a Pentium-166 with Windows 98 as an OS.

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Nigga is offline                         Send a private message to Nigga
Old 17-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The problem appears to stem from your copy of the game.

But, before we jump to conclusions... is the soundcard configuration correct? Did you try to run the game with sound and music DISABLED?

Try the version available from Abandonia, it might work.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Nigga
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 17 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]249227[/snapback]
Quote:
But, before we jump to conclusions... is the soundcard configuration correct? Did you try to run the game with sound and music DISABLED?
[/b]
QUOTE(Shadowlord Shearer @ Aug 17 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]249170[/snapback]
Quote:
I've tried to configure it to run without any sound, but the problem still remains!!!
[/b]

So, sound card isn't the problem, it seems...

I'll download Abandonia version now, and will try it tonight, and I think it should be OK, cuz I'm 99% sure that it's really that damn Paragon-emulated CD image!!! :angry:

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Nigga is offline                         Send a private message to Nigga