Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #51
Unregistered Carlo
Unhappy

sorry to ask, and maybe to spoil something
but
i've been playing the game several times, but i seem to be not able to go past the first stage:
i start the game (difficulty doesn't seem to affect anything but "clock speed") i find myself in bok street (or something similar)
to be short all i have to do is talking to those policemen, to dr phillips, go back to my study and "join" policeman who checked the place at 3.15 and policeman who found corpse 3.45
and then add this conclusion with dr phillips who siad he was on the body by 3.15

as i do this game ends with newspaper, scores etc and asks me whether i want to play again or not
no matter what i choose, only the first time i could access second stage, but i wanted to restart and lost it.. :'( it seems forever...
i even tried alt 2,3, etc in first window but they seem completely uneffective..

can anyone tell what i'm doing wrong?

Old 20-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #52
BOUNCYCHEETAH
Default How do you get old Jack working in DosBOX?

How do you get it to run in dosbox? I've followed the instructions, but I can't change the directory to jack the ripper because the name is too long and the suggested abridged version: CD jack~1 ... is impossible to type in dosbox (it won't let me type the tilde).

Oh for the day when computers will just automatically do as you say, Star Trek like...

Old 20-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #53
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNCYCHEETAH View Post
How do you get it to run in dosbox? I've followed the instructions, but I can't change the directory to jack the ripper because the name is too long and the suggested abridged version: CD jack~1 ... is impossible to type in dosbox (it won't let me type the tilde).

Oh for the day when computers will just automatically do as you say, Star Trek like...
For starters, in DOSBox you can start typing a directory or file name and then hit tab for autocomplete. If the suggested autocomplete isn't the one you wanted, continue pressing the tab key until it appears. It is a nifty and nice trick to save on the typing

But the real advice here is trying not to have directory names longer than 8 characters. Some old DOS games would freak out at that, ~ thingy notwithstanding. So, my advice is shortening the directory name to "jack" or "ripper" or whatever. BTW, it is easier to change the directory name from windows than within DOSBox. Sure, it can be done, but do it from windows to save you the trouble.
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 05-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #54
man1

Im not getting any sound, is this normal or do i have a configuration error?
man1 is offline                         Send a private message to man1
Old 28-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #55
Sherlock rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon-Tiki View Post
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
I have a problem with the game. when I tried to play it I received a message: not enough high memory to load newspaper (and some more messages similar to that). I pressed escape to delede all the messages, but then I couldn't play the game! What should I do to overcome the problem?
Sherlock rule is offline                         Send a private message to Sherlock rule
Old 28-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #56
dosraider
Dismembered.

.... dosbox?

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 30-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #57
theinternetismadeofcats

Default cases 4 and 5 ?

Hi, I realise I'm posting this 15 years after the start of the thread and 10 years since the last post. But, does anyone know how to access cases 4 and 5? Thanks!
theinternetismadeofcats is offline                         Send a private message to theinternetismadeofcats
Old 30-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #58
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Ten years ago you asked how to access _solutions_ 4 and 5, no? And as I see, they are simply not in game - you are supposed to get them by mail.

How to access cases themselves, I don't know. Aren't there linear progression? I.e. solve case 3->get case 4? (I didn't play the game).
Old 31-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #59
theinternetismadeofcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Ten years ago you asked how to access _solutions_ 4 and 5, no? And as I see, they are simply not in game - you are supposed to get them by mail.

How to access cases themselves, I don't know. Aren't there linear progression? I.e. solve case 3->get case 4? (I didn't play the game).
The game says you're supposed to get cases 4 and 5 by post. By registering with a company that doesn't exist anymore. I imagine, back in the day, many people will have done it, and so the full game may be available somewhere.

So I'm hoping someone can share a link where you can get the full game, including cases 4 and 5.

Or perhaps all you received by mail were instructions on how to unlock cases 4 and 5 without having to add any more files.
theinternetismadeofcats is offline                         Send a private message to theinternetismadeofcats
Old 17-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #60
Iurius

My box of this game had no registration card...
But even if it had - it seems that Intergalactic Development has closed its doors soon after releasing this game in 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternetismadeofcats View Post
Or perhaps all you received by mail were instructions on how to unlock cases 4 and 5 without having to add any more files.
No - you had to send 5 USD to the developers, and they would send you a 3.5" disk with more mysteries to solve. Those files are definitely missing on the CD - they should have names like "ripper4.mbl", "jackev4.ev" etc. I am afraid they are lost forever - unless some of the developers have saved them and could be still contacted and talked into sharing...
Iurius is offline                         Send a private message to Iurius