Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

Looks just like Windows XP, just a bit more *bling *bling*

And the only good thing they could do to IE would be removing it.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 17-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Andy@Jan 18 2006, 03:16 AM

And offering to use Firefox as the browser.
Old 17-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #13
Dark Piedone
Game freak

Send a message via MSN to Dark Piedone
Unhappy

I heard rumours that Windows Vista will not support Direct X 9, so if you want to play a game that requiers Direct X 9 or other application you will need an emulator because Windows Vista supports ONLY Direct X 10.
Personnaly Windows Vista sucks,a friend of mine said once that all look exactly like Windows 95, a taskbar down on the screen, the aspect of the window is similar, and other few things that sadly remained unchanged since Windows 95, the only thing changed is the visual aspect and other stuff so the system can work better. Anyway I use Win 98 and I think is the best of all.
Dark Piedone is offline                         Send a private message to Dark Piedone
Old 17-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #14
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Jan 17 2006, 03:43 PM
@rlbell: Ever hear of borrow from someone. Or pi-rate pi-rate pi-rate pi-rate. We didn't pay for any of our Win OS's nor did we get Office free. This stuff was mostly borrowed.
Why would I violate copyright to get a product that I have no use for?

Linux is free to use and install, runs dosbox just fine; although, my being shackled to a 28.8 connection means that i cannot easily get all of the libraries to run dosbox on the linux side of my dual boot system, so I play my old games with Win98SE (the software and license came with the computer and my wife and I were only just starting our linux migration).

The only thing that I actually need Win98 for is running my archiving software. After two too many hard drive failures, I spent the money for a professional disk imaging suite, and it works with linux disk partitions, too.

Besides, Bill Gates likes it if you pirate his software. It means that you will not try anything else, and that you are more likely to buy his software when circumstances prevent you from just pirating.

rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 17-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare+Jan 17 2006, 05:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bobbin Threadbare @ Jan 17 2006, 05:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Don Andy@Jan 18 2006, 03:16 AM

And offering to use Firefox as the browser. [/b][/quote]
Microsoft would rather eat its own children. If Microsoft unbundled IE from the OS, few people would use IE and demands for standards compliant web browsing would force Microsoft to take out all of the proprietary HTML extensions. The fallout from this is that if few people are using IE as their web browser, there is little reason to use Microsoft server software, a market that MS has enough trouble with, despite the fact that many intel based servers are shipped with a MS server package, as most have their disk re-imaged with Apache running on linux.

There are also legal troubles with unbundling IE. One of the MS claims in the US DOJ anti-trust suit was that they could not unbundle IE from the OS. The successors-in-interest to the original Netscape group could sue MS for restraint of trade with a reasonable expectation of being offered hundreds of millions of dollars to drop the claim before going to trial (Microsoft hates to lose court cases, but engages in such egregious business practices, that it cannot win [Just look at their giving Linspire, called Lindows at the time, $20 million to let MS drop the trademark infringement case]).

Finally, MS needs to have tightly integrated networking software so that their DRM software will work. I find it hard to imagine that independant browser providers will program in hooks to let MS verify that you have licenses for all of the software installed on your machine. You might dismiss me as paranoid but MS software will already do auto-updates. Without the ability to ensure no unauthorised copying, the Windows Media Format may lose its preeminence and force the Windows Media Player to handle multiple formats.

Microsoft would rather die than open up its standards to competition and they may just get their wish.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 17-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbell+Jan 17 2006, 09:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rlbell @ Jan 17 2006, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Jan 17 2006, 05:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Don Andy
Quote:
@Jan 18 2006, 03:16 AM

And offering to use Firefox as the browser.
Microsoft would rather eat its own children. If Microsoft unbundled IE from the OS, few people would use IE and demands for standards compliant web browsing would force Microsoft to take out all of the proprietary HTML extensions. The fallout from this is that if few people are using IE as their web browser, there is little reason to use Microsoft server software, a market that MS has enough trouble with, despite the fact that many intel based servers are shipped with a MS server package, as most have their disk re-imaged with Apache running on linux.

There are also legal troubles with unbundling IE. One of the MS claims in the US DOJ anti-trust suit was that they could not unbundle IE from the OS. The successors-in-interest to the original Netscape group could sue MS for restraint of trade with a reasonable expectation of being offered hundreds of millions of dollars to drop the claim before going to trial (Microsoft hates to lose court cases, but engages in such egregious business practices, that it cannot win [Just look at their giving Linspire, called Lindows at the time, $20 million to let MS drop the trademark infringement case]).

Finally, MS needs to have tightly integrated networking software so that their DRM software will work. I find it hard to imagine that independant browser providers will program in hooks to let MS verify that you have licenses for all of the software installed on your machine. You might dismiss me as paranoid but MS software will already do auto-updates. Without the ability to ensure no unauthorised copying, the Windows Media Format may lose its preeminence and force the Windows Media Player to handle multiple formats.

Microsoft would rather die than open up its standards to competition and they may just get their wish. [/b][/quote]
You did not really take my rant serious, did you?
I mean, of course I know Microsoft would never take out IE. Why should they anyway? (Besides the reasons you gave.)

I just tried to say "IE sucks, the only improvement would removement"

But actually, after seeing how much IE actually sucks, and seeing how much they changed it for IE7, I guess they're taking one big step to Firefox/Opera.
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 18-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
phreeze
Lurker

uerf....the new iexplore wants to take a challenge with firefox hehe OMG
phreeze is offline                         Send a private message to phreeze
Old 18-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

And IE is not safe.

List of popular SAFE browsers. http://browsehappy.com/browsers/
Old 18-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #19
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Hmmmmm, Opera and Safari have tabbed browsing, I see. Those greedy bastards must have ripped off Firefox too.
Old 18-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
SupSuper
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruit Pie Jones@Jan 18 2006, 05:06 PM
Hmmmmm, Opera and Safari have tabbed browsing, I see. Those greedy bastards must have ripped off Firefox too.
Pretty much any browser but IE has tabbed browsing :P
SupSuper is offline                         Send a private message to SupSuper