Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #531
Oskatat
Game freak

wanted to clarify the green square thing:
if its a big planet and has only a few green squares (you know which type i mean) you'll be better off building farms there. Those planets, dispite their lack of bonus squares, are often great for shipyards for the sheer quantity of space available, which ofcourse is no longer an issue after you discover terraforming

one concession: those buildings that improve planet size can be useful. When you are playing in a smaller size galaxy, with fewer planets, it is a critical point in improving production. In larger galaxies, you'll gain more advantage by expanding to new colonies and leaving your older planets to plot along untill you can terraform and automate. Even then, your tactic is probably more powerfull, but as your empire grows, you dont want to spend an hour per turn on buildings, i hope

races: i'd like to see a description and your view on the races and their benefits
i usually prefer to play those gas clouds, the lizard thingies (chamanchy?) or the gaians, though the last one can be frustrating at times, since its power only affects your smallest pop. planet, not any planet you choose. If anyone can hack the game and code that they'd be insanely powerful!

also my view on misc:
usefull:
molecular tie down; bring to a halt any enemy ship and take pot shots at it with orbitals and any other ships
positron bouncer; why drain a ships energy? this baby will bounce em so far away, by the time they are back they wont be able to fire weapons
myrmidonic carbonizer; Is actually a weapon, but its like an axe. enemy to close and they get hit with the wood, too far and you dont hit either, right range, instant kill often. If anyone wants to figure out right range, applause
Lane destabilizer; not only to get your ships there all at once, but also to get your enemy there when you're completely ready and dont feel like waiting ________
speeding up red lane travel: any red lane you control, put a ship with a lane destabilizer at one end and cut your journeys short by many, many turns, just make sure there is a refit nearby
Accutron; increases all weapon range, what more to ask?
Remote repair: useful yet not essential, mostly important for guarding ships that cant be allowed to withdraw for the time it takes to repair em

as for weapons... Range is of the essence, since there are so many ways to push someone away. It is also of the essence to bombard planets without getting whopped (is this game sponsored by BK or what? orbital whoppers?)
the only requirement is that you research energy sources enough to keep up with your weaopns. Since energy is kind of the most important to any ship, this was some useless advice. However, in energy provided and firepower shown, you dont have to play even with ship design
my favorites are the molecular disassosiator, the plasmatron and hypersphere driver, all for range, but good damage too. However, killing someone before they can hurt you is really part of the plan, or as mentioned before, pushing them away as soon as they get close enough and THEN killing them

defences: if you play it right, you will hardly need them

sensors: nice, but hardly needed, it wouls only be needed if you could actually use the data, but any weapons that destroy specials etc are all still random, even when you know what you want to target

engines:
again nice, but after a certain point not needed. When you can cross a star system in one go, you really dont need more engines (hardly ever more than two, one always)

hyperspace: all ships should have it, unless they are at a sector with a refit (if not a shipyard) where they are supposed to stay and die defending

Last edited by Oskatat; 10-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 26-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #532
computergoodguy
Lurker

you build them in space
computergoodguy is offline                         Send a private message to computergoodguy
Old 19-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #533
Sgt_V3n0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakish View Post
I have made some additions to the website I posted here.

I forgot my password and since use hotmail, had to make new profile.

The website is now hosted here.

Ascendency

Of course, this site is an OWIP (ongoing work in progress). As get new stuff to add, I'll do so and post here.

rmfr
When was the game put under the ESA again? Cause from what I've read you used to be able to DL it from Abandonia before.
Sgt_V3n0m is offline                         Send a private message to Sgt_V3n0m
Old 19-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #534
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Either this was corrected when we got in trouble the first time and the download was removed or it has been found to be sold by a legitimate company and has been removed due to that.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 19-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #535
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

We were sent a request to remove this title earlier this month. I forgot to leave a note about this.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #536
VulcanTourist
Default There's a reason for the C&D:

They converted the original game recently into a mobile app (IIRC it was for the iPhone). I didn't save a link to it because I had no intention of encouraging them after 15 years of complete total apathy (and no promised sequel). That's why they're enforcing the IP so belatedly.

Old 20-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #537
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Oddly enough, they never confirmed their authorship of the C&D (as was requested - anyone can use the contact form).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #538
Sgt_V3n0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Oddly enough, they never confirmed their authorship of the C&D (as was requested - anyone can use the contact form).
Hmmm, if they didn't prove that they own it, can't you contact them and ask them for proof then? Because if they didn't provide proof, maybe they weren't the owners of the Copyright, in which case it can be put back up on AB!

I kinda hope that that's the case, this game looks bloody awesome and I would love to try it out.
Sgt_V3n0m is offline                         Send a private message to Sgt_V3n0m
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #539
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Todd Templeton wrote me in January this year about Ascendancy, since I'd given them a very enthusiastic thumbs up review, many years ago, on its release. He was looking for a review of the mobile app, it turns out, and dropped the contact quickly when he found out I don't look at those.

Don't know if that helps, but it was from him, for what that's worth.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 23-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #540
arakish

Well, been gone for quite awhile again. RL won't leave me alone.

I have moved my Ascendancy online handbook. Link below is the new official one.

Ascendancy

Added a little addenda blurb about Logic Factory re-releasing Ascendancy for iOS. Wonder if this version is better. But I don't ever plan on owning any iOS thing again. Cool items, but I don't like them.

As requested, I have been working on adding my thoughts on playing each of the species and playing against them. I am only up to the Baliflids (I think). I will get to them all as I can and will post when I get ur done.

For all those who missed the chance, sorry you cannot get it free anymore. I still have the original CD.

rmfr

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you saying, "Dude we screwed up."
arakish is offline                         Send a private message to arakish