Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

@Moonstrider - good point about the builder k:

Also, you could take that picture from wikipedia and work on animating that. I'll see if I can get higher resolution picture playing around with SNES emulator.

I don't want weapons in it but this list gave me some new ideas. What if you could pick up "magical flute" (attractor skill (I finaly fond a better word: SKILL)) and use it to drive enemy to a spike pit or something like that?

Also, some skills like slider could be done so they work like in lemmings, but you have to execute them. E.g. "slider" skill could be done in a way that when you slide down the slope you turn around in the opposite direction and therefore slide slower. Note that I say slope instead of cliff: if it were cliff then it would be too easy, but if you can go slower down the slope it can be usefull to do some action you couldn't do if you go fast like jumping over an enemy using a scout

EDIT: Allright, Moonstrider, I think this is the best image that's possible to get: screenshot taken at 1280x1024 with all AA options I could activate, saved as a 24-bit bitmap (don't worry, I zipped it). I think it looks pretty good.

Download
Old 11-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #22
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Ok first of all, sorry for double posting.

Now, some update: towworow is "the D Day" for me, I'm taking an exam to see if I got in the college I want. Hold your fingers crossed for me will ya?

So, development officialy begins tommorow or the day after (if I get in I might not be able to work tommorow )

So, I'm opening a topic in art forum tommorow. I hope to have the first demo with basic features by the end of the week.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #23
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Good luck on your exams. I'm playing fury of the furries now so maybe i"ll have some feedback after.

I wonder if I have lemmings 2 anywhere?
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #24
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Good luck from me too. Im still hacking my way through Oh No more lemmings, never got to download no. 2. But if theres a whole lot of new abilities i might just have a look...
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 13-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #25
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Ok, just a quickie update.

Thank you all for wishing me good luck. It didn't turn out very good, still waiting for some results but I think I'll get in anyways.

I'll start working later today, just most basic stuff, gravity, movement, collisions, maybe character switching.

Also, any suggestions on character names? Lemmy is the obvious one but I kinda want to avoid that. They will be called scout, builder and engineer for time being.

OFFTOPIC: hey, guesst, any recomendations on C++ or C# tutorials for someone who allready knows basics of plain C? and, before you ask I don't plan on doing this thing in C++, I'm working in Game Maker, it's not much but it's egnouh for this kind of game
Old 13-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #26
guesst
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Onyx @ Jul 13 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]243080[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, any suggestions on character names? Lemmy is the obvious one but I kinda want to avoid that. They will be called scout, builder and engineer for time being.

OFFTOPIC: hey, guesst, any recomendations on C++ or C# tutorials for someone who allready knows basics of plain C? and, before you ask I don't plan on doing this thing in C++, I'm working in Game Maker, it's not much but it's egnouh for this kind of game
[/b]
Name suggestions :
Scout - Peepers. (Make him the smallest)
Builder - Max (Make him big and fit with with a hard hat)
Engineer - Doohan (A tribute to James Doohan who played Scotty, the engineer on the enterprise.)

As far as Tutorials, no I don't know of any. But if you find one, let me know because I'm looking at taking Cymons Games to the next level of C++ for my conversion of Wumpus. Unfortunately I don't have time for programming right now, and probably wont for, oh, about a year. At least until I finish my first year of teaching. But then again, who knows. I tend to need to do something for my sanity most of the time. (That's why I do reviews for Abandonia.)
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 13-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #27
Onyx
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Engineer - Doohan (A tribute to James Doohan who played Scotty, the engineer on the Enterprise.)[/b]
Ok, this one is a MUST. Either Doohan or Scotty, one of those WILL be in the game.

Unfortunatly, there probably won't be any voice-acting... If it were this guy would have a scottish accent...

Great idea guesst
Old 21-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #28
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

To go along with your combination of Lemmings and Lost Vikings, why not call it Lost Lemmings (gotta love the aliteration)?
I would like it if the icon pickups were still in there, but when one character picks them up, the icon goes to the character that can use it. That would open up a lot of ideas for level design and puzzles where one guy (like the scout) has to go somewhere to pick up the skills for the other guys to pass an obstacle. Also, if you decide to add abilities that aren't strictly from Lemmings, then consider other puzzle elements and derive the abilities from them. A few examples are moveable blocks (pushing and pulling abilities), waterfalls (walking with umbrella, maybe used by anyone?), metal blocks (magnet to move closer, even through walls to land on switches), and poles or hooks (to latch onto with a rope or grapple).

For C++ tutorials, I like www.cprogramming.com and some other one that I can't find right now...
But the current build of this game isn't a full proof-of-concept. Lemmings is heavily pixel-based (explosions, destructable landscapes - there's a site on this too, I'll find it when I get home), so you'll probably need to know all about pixellated landscapes instead of blocks.

EDIT: I found those sites. www.gametutorials.com has some simple C++ tutorials and the other site, currently http://jnrdev.72dpiarmy.com/ , keeps moving around. It uses SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) too, so if you don't use it, you should!