Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #1
Orichifunk

Hello, I'm having a problem installing Star Wars: TIE Fighter. I have it on my computer, and run the INSTALL.EXE file, and it seems to run perfectly, but when I choose any install option it says I must run it through a CDROM to successfully install it. Is there anything I can do to go around this? I heard that D-Fend was able to mount stations, etc. could that help me? Please help me install and play this game, I so deeply want to!!

Please help, and thank you so much in advance!
Orichifunk is offline                         Send a private message to Orichifunk
Old 14-11-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Lucullus
Super Freak

I remember there was an old command in dos that allowed you to make a fake cd drive... Subst I think it is... try it and it might be enough to help you. But you should try and find a file called Setup instead if you want to change stuff in the installation or just open the cfg file and edit it with your values instead.
Lucullus is offline                         Send a private message to Lucullus
Old 14-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
Orichifunk

There is no Setup file, so I'll try the other Subst method. Is there any way you can go into details on what to do? I am clueless.
Orichifunk is offline                         Send a private message to Orichifunk
Old 14-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Gamefreak

Play the game in DosBox and mount the CD-Rom with this command (x are your drives):
mount x x:/ -t cdrom
The it should work.

Old 14-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
Orichifunk

So basically, the line:mount C C:/ -t cdrom

woud make the game think it's being run from a CDROM? How about installation, will it install it on C:/ even if it's read from the "CDROM"? (sorry if I'm being unclear. I appriciate all your help!)

Edit: I don't understand, it doesn't work. It still tells me that I must run it from the CDROM. What I do is this:

write
mount D C:/Oldies/Tief [my folder] -t cdrom

(note that the [] part isn't there)

and it still gives me the message when I run the installer. What to do? Can I mess around with the configuration files to change any of this? Please help, I really, really want to play this game ..!
Old 14-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Gamefreak

Your CD-Rom is on your HD in a folder c:\oldies\tief? :whistle:

Old 14-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hmm, have you tried the bloody obvious, i.e. Daemon Tools yet?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 14-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Orichifunk

Sorry, I'm abit confused now. I thought that by mounting a folder on your C: you could "fool" the computer into believing that the folder is actually a CDROM. And yes, I tried Daemon Tools, I tried adding the folder to an ISO file even, but nothing works. Darn! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! :crazy:
Old 14-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Gamefreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Orichifunk@Nov 14 2005, 08:40 PM
Darn! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! :crazy:
Anything.
You need a CD of Tie Fighter to stay in the CD drive while you start and play the game. Or if you have instead an ISO file, you need to mount it and to keep it mounted so the installed game on HD can find it. You need to either mount the CD drive where your CD is in in DosBox with the command above, or mount the ISO with Daemon Tools, then mount the virtual drive letter that is assigned by Daemon Tools with DosBox. And you can't play the game off the CD or ISO, you need to install it on your HD first.

Old 15-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
Orichifunk

Ahh, I understand now. Thanks for making everything so much clearer!! I'll try that when I get home today!