DosBOX:
for c drive:
"mount c c:\dosgames"
then for a:
"mount a d:\doszips\dqok"

Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #132
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

You can't mount and play the game if it's zipped. You need to extract the archive first.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #133
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Do you have write permissions in C:\dosgames? Is it set to Read Only?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #134
Unregistered (norrinradd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Do you have write permissions in C:\dosgames? Is it set to Read Only?
no.

but every new folder is default read only created.
i uncheck it from "right click/properties" but when i check it back it is still "read only".

i think this is a windows problem.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #135
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Use a directory somewhere in your "My Documents" instead.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #136
TheAnyKey

Hi

Does anybody know how to use the "Haste" spell(doubles attacks/round and lets party age 1 year/use) without dying from old age? Are the Elven races immune to death by old age?

But on the other hand I'd need at least 1 Human Knight for the Dragonlance, I guess. How can I prevent him from dying? Compared to the powerful spells melee combat seems quite pointless to me with only two attacks, when not hasted.

Thanks you.
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #137
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnyKey View Post
Hi

Does anybody know how to use the "Haste" spell(doubles attacks/round and lets party age 1 year/use) without dying from old age? Are the Elven races immune to death by old age?

But on the other hand I'd need at least 1 Human Knight for the Dragonlance, I guess. How can I prevent him from dying? Compared to the powerful spells melee combat seems quite pointless to me with only two attacks, when not hasted.

Thanks you.
Haste is a useful spell, because it can also alter you initiative order, IIRC. But no, there is no way to prevent the aging, so you must not abuse it. And elves are susceptible to old age, but their lifespan is a lot longer. IIRC, the elves reached middle age at 175, old at 263 and venerable at 350, dying between 354 and 950... so the best tactic is not abuse the haste spell too much.

I don't remember if this game have longevity potions or youth potions... if that's the case, give them all to the human, half elves and kenders!

And yes, old AD&D gets very unbalanced towards magic users at high levels... but it still pays to have a couple of meatshields in your party Although I think that knights are more useful than vanilla fighters...
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #138
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

You can get through the trilogy without using haste spells or potions, so just avoid them unless you really need to. You can find a few potions which rejuvenate in the game, but not many IIRC.
For some characters the starting age is random, so it's worth rerolling until you get the youngest possible roll.

Knights are quite useful because of their high hitpoints and the ability to cast heal and resurrection. You can do quite some damage with two attacks per round, they are especially useful versus enemies immune to magic. You don't need more than 2-3 characters able to cast delayed blast fireball in your party of 6. If a knight dies, don't bother. Since they are no elves you can simply cast resurrection.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #139
TheAnyKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonster View Post
You can get through the trilogy without using haste spells or potions, so just avoid them unless you really need to. You can find a few potions which rejuvenate in the game, but not many IIRC.
For some characters the starting age is random, so it's worth rerolling until you get the youngest possible roll.

Knights are quite useful because of their high hitpoints and the ability to cast heal and resurrection. You can do quite some damage with two attacks per round, they are especially useful versus enemies immune to magic. You don't need more than 2-3 characters able to cast delayed blast fireball in your party of 6. If a knight dies, don't bother. Since they are no elves you can simply cast resurrection.
Don't Characters loose one point of constitution permanently when resurrected?

My current party is 2 Knights 3 Cleric/Rangers 1 Cleric/Red Mage. I thought Rangers are the best warriors since they have that bonus against "giant-class creatures". Does anybody know what giant-class creatures are and how big that damage bonus for the Ranger is?

Thanks
TheAnyKey is offline                         Send a private message to TheAnyKey
Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #140
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnyKey View Post
Don't Characters loose one point of constitution permanently when resurrected?

My current party is 2 Knights 3 Cleric/Rangers 1 Cleric/Red Mage. I thought Rangers are the best warriors since they have that bonus against "giant-class creatures". Does anybody know what giant-class creatures are and how big that damage bonus for the Ranger is?

Thanks
If I am not mistaken, giant-class creatuers are all the giants (hill, mountain, fire, etc), firbolgs, ogres and ettins. Can't remember if there were other giants. And I think the bonus is an attack bonus. But that game goes by first edition rules, and I can't remember them very well right now. But still, I think knights are better overall warriors, they are basically a mix of paladins, fighters and clerics
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia