Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

Default old educational IIe games?

I'm trying to find some old Apple IIe games. They were educational games made by either MECC or Scholastic or maybe even Spinnaker. I'm leaning towards Scholastic. It was a series of choose your own adventure style games. They had titles like Tales of Adventure, Tales of Mystery, Tales of Suspense, Tales of the Future (or from the Future?). I just remember they all had "Tales of" as titles.

One game involved you as a kid with your friend and somehow you run into pirates. Another game was set in a house/mansion and you had to solve a mystery. In Tales of the Future (may have been called Tales from the Future), you have to run as president and appease different groups. I think a school of fish was one group? I think there was even a game where you get miniaturized and travel inside someone's body.

These were all Apple IIe games, and were probably released in early to mid 80s and came in hard plastic packaging that seemed common with educational software back then. And once again, they were all "choose your own adventure" style, which means the entire gameplay revolved around making choices which took you down branching paths to different endings. The games had graphics displaying each area and text describing the scene and offering you a list of choices, like a simplistic text adventure game.

I've searched google and different IIe sites, but haven't found any concrete information on these games. I'm not sure if they were released on other platforms. I'd just like to find emulatable copies or information about them so I can add them to my collection and be happy knowing they're not lost forever. Yes, I'm insane like that. I obsess about crappy games I played as a kid, and their glaring absence from my collection nags at me.

If you try searching google, you'll probably only find my own posts in other forums requesting information about these games. The titles are frustratingly vague enough that I get a ton of hits from actual books and other garbage I don't want.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Well, Tales of Mystery was published by Scholastic in 1984, so says here: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/xml/m0997.xml