Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #211
gratefulmwp

Exclamation Class of ships copyright link

for some reason i could not find on the zip file any .gif file for the copyright protection (and yes i did buy this game and all its sequels into MOO3 at which point i shook my head at yet another weak continuation in the same way as Machievelli was last made, so technically this is me trying to find the purchased original and not a copyright infringement) see http://www.jonsullivan.com/misc/ships_1b.gif for the necessary reference.

Playing MOO again is a pure pleasure... funny how in 2008 i find myself going back 10 years for great games...

And to whomever Jon Sullivan is, you are on my heroes list! Gratis! :thumbs:
gratefulmwp is offline                         Send a private message to gratefulmwp
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #212
Leo-Kun

This game is REALLY cool, but I'm being overwhelmed by the learning curve. One nagging question keeps distracting me from reading the manual. How do you, from the beginning of a game of MoO, quickly get your colony ships up and mobile fast enough to compete with the computer? Last time I tried just playing, I had three colonized planets before I met one of my opponents, who showed to have like ten, wow...
Leo-Kun is offline                         Send a private message to Leo-Kun
Old 16-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #213
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

deleted.

Last edited by WolverineDK; 21-08-2020 at 07:39 PM.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 07-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #214
Pox

Someone had asked why moo3 stank.
I asked the same question when it came out.
To my understanding it went something like this...

Managers: "Is the game ready yet, we're past our deadline"
Game programmers: "No, it won't be finished for another six months, and we're running out of money".
Managers: "Just stick a fork in it, its done, we'll see you next week and place it into production".

So they slapped together what they had already built, marketed it, and sent it out, several patches were soon to follow, the ai fix patch, the tech patches, the new tech patches, and several others I don't remember or likely don't care about.

However the game had already lost its popularity, thoughts for moo4 were scrapped and thusly the series reached its end.

This is basicly what I had read in an article reveiwing the game many moons ago, I was probably baked then too...

Its a shame really that such a lucrative franchise had to eat dirt, but everything dies, now if only final fantasy, dynasty warriors rtk, mortal kombat, ut, quake, c&c...
Old 22-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #215
Phreeze_lu
Forum hobbit

I really wonder how the user rating is calculated. At the time i'm writing this post, the game has a user rating of 3.4 out of over 3000 votes. This is a game everyone loves, many people in my opinion could give it a 4 or 5. So there are some jerks that must give it a 1 or 2 !? Are they serious ? If someone doesn't like the genre, he shouldn't vote. This isn't the way to get the vote. It's not a "i like it or not" vote, it's a "rating" which means one should be respectful to many categories: was the gfx, sfx,handling,gameplay,fun good or bad for the time the game came out, or not.
Phreeze_lu is offline                         Send a private message to Phreeze_lu
Old 22-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #216
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreeze_lu View Post
I really wonder how the user rating is calculated. At the time i'm writing this post, the game has a user rating of 3.4 out of over 3000 votes. This is a game everyone loves, many people in my opinion could give it a 4 or 5. So there are some jerks that must give it a 1 or 2 !? Are they serious ? If someone doesn't like the genre, he shouldn't vote. This isn't the way to get the vote. It's not a "i like it or not" vote, it's a "rating" which means one should be respectful to many categories: was the gfx, sfx,handling,gameplay,fun good or bad for the time the game came out, or not.
http://www.dspguide.com/ch2/6.htm
Old 23-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #217
harlequin83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
hmm. might be worth a check-out...
harlequin83 is offline                         Send a private message to harlequin83
Old 25-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #218
rosspest
Default DosBox is confusing

Gary, I have all the MoO files unzipped into a folder called "MoO" (without the quotes).
The folder is in the root directory of my C: drive.
When DoSBOX opens up it starts you out in a virtual "Z" drive.
At the Z: prompt I type in this....
mount c: c:\MoO\
Then I type in this....
c:
I am not actually in the root directory of Drive C, but in the folder c:\MoO
If I type in "dir /w/p", it will list the contents of the folder c:\MoO
(/w is just to make things wider, and /p just makes it stop at the end of a page, until you hit ENTER)
Then I just type in...
orion
...and hit ENTER
Alt ENTER will make it go full screen, and again to resize.

It is better to used DoSBox, than to try and configure the thing to run under XP or Vista. You will have sound, and a USB mouse will be supported.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #219
argaven

Default MoO sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlequin83 View Post
hmm. might be worth a check-out...
First, thanks for bringing back one of my all-time favorite games. I haven't played it for over 10 years, and I find that I still remember all the moves and settings I used way back then.

The one problem I'm having is that there's no sound or music working. I've gone into the basic game controls to make sure music and sound are set to "on", but to no avail. Is there some game file I need to add, adjust or otherwise play with?

Thanks.
argaven is offline                         Send a private message to argaven
Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #220
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Just run the soundsetup ("install.exe") and choose the correct configuration.
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni