Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-02-2005, 02:18 AM   #21
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy+Feb 19 2005, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stroggy @ Feb 19 2005, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-wendymaree@Feb 19 2005, 12:11 PM

I guess there's police corruption in every country, and we have it here, too.* However, mostly the members of the police force are pretty awesome.
My dad investigates corruption in the upper tiers here in Belgium on a daily basis. Police corruption is rampant. This doesn't mean police-officers are unhelpfull, its just that the heads of police were corrupt as hell taking millions from the city. [/b][/quote]
Yes, corruption might exist on the higher levels (and in some of the lower ranks to a lesser degree) In everything you'll have a mixture of good and bad, but not everyone should be blamed for the mistakes of a few. I'm a big fan of the police force over here. It'd be a hard, thankless job which would require a lot of courage. My uncle was an Inspector, and I know from him how hard it was. When we look for heroes, we need look no further than the unsung ones in the force - the ones who really do a good job.

Oops...another split topic. hehe
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 20-02-2005, 02:25 AM   #22
dragonLancer
Super Freak

Send a message via MSN to dragonLancer

wow this is wierd topic LOL jk :guns:

------------DragonLancer

If anyone wants me I'll be in the Angry Dome!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
dragonLancer is offline                         Send a private message to dragonLancer
Old 20-02-2005, 03:06 AM   #23
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Why so, DragonLancer?
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 20-02-2005, 03:55 AM   #24
cheesegrater
Game freak

Organized violence is encouraged, yet you imprison those who emply violence privately.

Violence is the greatest authority. Violence also resolved most of mankind's conflicts.
Old 20-02-2005, 04:16 AM   #25
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Violence does not promote respect, it promotes fear, which is completely different.

Fear and respect are both things which may cause one person to defer to another.

However, fear goes hand in hand with hatred. Respect grows out of love.

Actions taken out of fear are forced upon a person, whereas actions taken out of respect are based on personal choice and freedom.

It is my belief that there are many types of violence, both physical and verbal. If your actions somehow hurt someone else, physically or psychologically, you are doing that person violence.

None of these violent acts that you might inflict upon another person will ever gain you respect or love. It will only gain you hatred and fear.

Which, in turn, only begets...

even more violence.

Quite possibly towards you.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 20-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #26
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Violence and money...

That might give you the sence of power. If you have both, you'll be willing and able to do some things others wouldn't.
But is that to be respected? Usually it's just fear. Like Tai said before, fear and hatered go hand in hand. So if you fear someone - you don't respect that person, you start hating.
Respect doesn't neceseraly come from love, but it deffinetly comes from positive feelings you feel towards someone. If they did something that impresses you, you will start respecting them.

So to just quickly sum up - violence (money really playes no role here, as it's only something that can get you out of trouble if you are able to bribe someone) can ensure you a certain status. If people fear somebody, they will obey - but only because they fear the consiquences. That's really far from respect, because once that fear factor is gone - you're done for.
Real athority comes from the people that have earned respect. That would mean, that when somebody says something - others listen. They don't have to always agree, but they would take that as the words of wisdome. When a respected person askes you to do something you do it, not because you feel the punishment, but because you are convinced it's the right thing to do.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 21-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #27
Mentor
[BANNED]

Violence doesn't get your respect. Violence gets you feared, and eventually killed. Fear and respect are two entirely seperate things. Anyone who says otherwise is a fekkin' moron.
Mentor is offline                         Send a private message to Mentor
Old 21-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #28
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentor@Feb 21 2005, 10:17 AM
Anyone who says otherwise is a fekkin' moron.
Verbal violence is also a sure way NOT to gain respect. ..

But on topic: you'll not get my respect with violence anyway. As wendymaree points out it takes courage and a strong mind to turn the other cheek, but as a pacifist pur sang I'd always strive to do this.

Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 21-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #29
quatroking
[BANNED]

If you hate violence, never go to Amsterdam.
(or an other violence city)
quatroking is offline                         Send a private message to quatroking
Old 21-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #30
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Feb 20 2005, 12:27 AM
Violence is really the worse way to gain my respect. No way around that one...
Violence is the lowest way you can go to earn respect, yes, but it has the highest succes ratio.Don't think that i enjoy violence, or something sick like that, it is just the truth.
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu