Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

*Split off from topic http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3490 *

money is the best way to earn respect
violence is another way
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 19-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Only in movies, Omuletzu. In real life violence earns the perpetrator a prison sentence. Some folk mightn't realise that if someone even as much as slaps you, then you can have that person charged. Any form of assault is a criminal offence.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 19-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
FreeFreddy

As much as I dislike fights (even further - I hate it when they happen, they look very ugly, produce too many bad thoughts and more), some people can only be reasoned by answering their actions in the same way. Suing for hitting you might be more civilized, but will only make you look weak in their eyes, but delivering some proper damage on their teeth can make them respect you and not messing with you the next time. That's what I noticed so far, at least.

Old 19-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Here in Australia, because assault is a criminal offence, not a civil offence, you only have to file a complaint against someone with the local police station and that person is charged and then must appear in Court. If you have any witnesses or any evidence that the person has attacked you, then the charge sticks and depending on the nature of the attack, and the attacker's record, that person will face either a prison sentence or a suspended sentence with a heavy fine. Also both charges will be recorded on their permanent record, so they will prevented from obtaining employment in Government positions or any positions of a sensitive nature. Here, even if you want to do voluntary work, you must first undergo a police check, and if any charges are recorded against you, then you are disqualified.

I think violence begats violence, myself; it takes strength of character to turn the other cheek. But I'm still interested in hearing other opinions about it.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 19-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree@Feb 19 2005, 11:50 AM
Here in Australia, because assault is a criminal offence, not a civil offence, you only have to file a complaint against someone with the local police station and that person is charged and then must appear in Court. If you have any witnesses or any evidence that the person has attacked you, then the charge sticks and depending on the nature of the attack, and the attacker's record, that person will face either a prison sentence or a suspended sentence with a heavy fine. Also both charges will be recorded on their permanent record, so they will prevented from obtaining employment in Government positions or any positions of a sensitive nature. Here, even if you want to do voluntary work, you must first undergo a police check, and if any charges are recorded against you, then you are disqualified.

I think violence begats violence, myself; it takes strength of character to turn the other cheek. But I'm still interested in hearing other opinions about it.
Here in slovakia is police and law rather...uneffective?
The best way to earn respect here is have money,or be known as someone who will beat you if you try to attack him.Sad bud true....
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 19-02-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

That sounds like a dangerous way to live, Lizard. Would you like to immigrate?

Edit:
I guess there's police corruption in every country, and we have it here, too. However, mostly the members of the police force are pretty awesome. Whenever I'm in trouble, I go straight to the nearest station, and they always help me out. I remember once I'd forgotten where I'd parked the car, so they sent out a patrol car to search the area until they located it.
Old 19-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

If you try to gain respect than yes...
I am content(well sometimes) to be just observer...
Old 19-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well we have a slightly different problem here in Slovenia. The thing is, that polce force had free hands to do whatever they wanted (back in the days of communism - around 15 years ago) and that included police brutality. Now they just don't know anymore what to do. The level of education for an average policofficer is quite low really. You just need any highschool and a special course in police procedure. That's why many people that broke the law can walk free, because the court has to dissmis the case, due to a mistake in the procedure.
There are capable officers too, those that went to the police school, but there's only around a half of them and even those are heavily influenced by the old way of thinking (police brutality - to gain respect) because their tutors are mostly retired officers.

But not to go off topic, this basically means, that people won't respect you if you're incompitent to do what you're supposed to do (police here has no respect).
So here might be another way to earn respect - when in doubt ask. There's no way in asking - but there can be a lot of shame in the failoure (if it was due to your incompetance and stuborness).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 19-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Calamity
Game freak

When it comes to internet respect and myself there is a certain amount of etiquette that you should have. Basically everyone starts out fantastic in my book and everyone holds it until they do stuff that brings them down.

Being able to express yourself intelligently is a big thing for me. If you have to resort to using internet slang (and I don't mean for dorky reasons because I'm guilty of that) to get your point across then I just can't take you seriously. To me the way you act on the net is a reflection of the way you are in real life, so if you don't take the time on things here, what's it saying about you as a person?

Aside from that basically if you don't go out of your way to be a jerk then you're fine with me.
Calamity is offline                         Send a private message to Calamity
Old 19-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Feb 19 2005, 01:36 PM
Well we have a slightly different problem here in Slovenia. The thing is, that polce force had free hands to do whatever they wanted (back in the days of communism - around 15 years ago) and that included police brutality. Now they just don't know anymore what to do. The level of education for an average policofficer is quite low really. You just need any highschool and a special course in police procedure. That's why many people that broke the law can walk free, because the court has to dissmis the case, due to a mistake in the procedure.
There are capable officers too, those that went to the police school, but there's only around a half of them and even those are heavily influenced by the old way of thinking (police brutality - to gain respect) because their tutors are mostly retired officers.

But not to go off topic, this basically means, that people won't respect you if you're incompitent to do what you're supposed to do (police here has no respect).
So here might be another way to earn respect - when in doubt ask. There's no way in asking - but there can be a lot of shame in the failoure (if it was due to your incompetance and stuborness).
Well police have no respect in Slovakia for diferent reasons.Slovakia is country with highest corruption in whole EU...
And I dont fell respect to people which I must motivate with some "extra" money just to do they job :ranting: