Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #21
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Milos, Anubis!!!
Guys, I think you both should know that the events you're talking about are quite painful and happened only about 10 years ago (when people are imotionally involved, they can't thinks reasonly), and that's why no research was done about those things!
Now I can asure you, that all those things started back in the time when Turks came to the Balkans and continued for about 500 years and are still not over!!!
So better leave it at that and don't fight over it.
But I must say, I'm glad you both remained CIVIL about it!

OK, here's a non-military legend from Slovenia, to return back to the topic:
There is a 'legendary' creature called "JEZERNIK" - that would be the man in the lake.
He ilives in a lake and if you look at your reflection (and the water gets wavey) you can see him. Then, you better run or else he'll grab you and take you to the bottom of the lake, where you'll have to play in his orchestra. He's actally very bored, because in rivers and springs the water is flowing and 'jumping' over the rocks - thus making water music. But not in lakes, tkat's why he kidnaps people to play for him!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 11-11-2004, 06:22 AM   #22
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

This is a pic of my great great (couple of times more great) grandfather!
I have a list, that shows that I'm a direct decendant of him!
(Not an interesting list, just some stupid names! :blink: )

His name is Egill Skallagrímsson. He committed his first murder at the age of 3! There was a great story written about him, and it is widely known.

Egils saga

He's pretty cool....! :w00t: :whistle:
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 11-11-2004, 07:01 AM   #23
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin
This is a pic of my great great (couple of times more great) grandfather!
I have a list, that shows that I'm a direct decendant of him!
(Not an interesting list, just some stupid names!* :blink:* )

His name is Egill Skallagrímsson. He committed his first murder at the age of 3! There was a great story written about him, and it is widely known.

Egils saga

He's pretty cool....!* :w00t:* :whistle:
Wow, that's impressive. Interesting to know who were your predecessors.
Here in Russia there's a legend about Ilja Muromez, that was a great and mighty hero and had 2 friends that were mighty heroes too. Don't remember that exactly now, but there were stories about how he alone fought Mongoles when they came to Russia. His fought once against Throttle the Robber (I hope it's translated correctly, throtthe is that beautifully singing bird that everyone should know) whose whistle could throw the mightiest man over. But Ilja Muromez could withstand his whistle and finally defeated him. Those legends are based upon wars of all Russians with the Mongoles and the stories about Ilja Muromez against Throttle the Robber came from those prototypes.
Also there are stories about Oleg (don't know many details here) that fought agains the Hozars that conquered and robbed Russia. Those stories were rewritten by Pushkin too, I have his book here, but it's long time ago now that I read it...

Old 11-11-2004, 08:27 AM   #24
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

So here is ny legend (or myth).It's actualy about a sort of wine.

100 years after the foundation of Bulgaria in 681 we haven't got kings or tzars we had Hans to rule us.At this time the Han was named Krum.He had a problem with his soldiers cuz they were getting drunk and then they couldn't fight.So he told to cut down all the wines at the balkans.But there was woman who saved a little piece of wine.The years were passing well till one day a dragon came to terrorize our lands.Many mans were killed by the draggon till the boy of the woman with the wine decided to fight the draggon.Before leaving his mother gave him of her wine.With the power of wine the boy wich was called Mavrud(you'll never find that name today in Bulgaria LOL )vanquished the draggon and became a national hero.The Han asked him how did he managed to do this then he revealed the secret.The Han decided to call the wine on his name and there's how is made the Mavrud wine
Old 11-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #25
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

OK! I'm from Croatia, Split. There are not many people that know about this legend, but it says that Emperor Diocletian (who built Diocletian's palace in Split in 304.A.D.) in his dungeons ordered to some architechts to build a pipe from which will (when he opens it) come out fish when he's hungry! Split is coastal city, so that's why he thought that fish can come out from pipe!

About war in Croatia...Serbia lost, cause today Croatia is independent from Serbia. There are many theories about what happened in this war, like:
- many of Croatian generals killed Serb's civilians who surrendered
- and on the other hand many Serbian soldiers did terible things to Croatian civilians (assault on Vukovar and such things)

The point is that no one can really find out what happened, and the media in Croatia says how Serbians burned our vilages, while media in Serbia says how Croatians burned Serbian vilages. The national hate is growing up, and that is not good. BTW I personaly don't hate Serbs, and I have few friends that are serbs!
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 11-11-2004, 08:47 AM   #26
Unknown Hero
Home Sweet Abandonia

@Anubis
Where are you come from? And what about some legends...
Unknown Hero is offline                         Send a private message to Unknown Hero
Old 11-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #27
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

hmmm.

Well here in Antwerp there are a few myths... like how the city got its name.

The story goes that somewhere in Brabant (name of a geographical area in Belgium) there stood a castle next to the river Scheldt (river Scheldt is the river that runs through Antwerp and also the reason Antwerp became such a rich city near the end of the Dark Ages... until the Spanish general Sfernize (sp?) closed it)
In that castle lived a huge giant named Druon Antigoon.

This nasty giant demanded a toll from every passing ship. if the captain could not pay this outrageous toll the giant would cut the captain's hand off and throw it into the river.

One day a roman soldier named Silvius Brabo passed. The giant demanded Brabo pay the toll. Brabo refused and fought the giant.
Brabo eventually cut the giant's hand off and threw it into the river.

and since in dutch hand is 'hand' and throw is 'werpen' the name of the city became handwerpen... or in old Belgiant dialect: antwerpen

While this is obvious total bullshit, statues of Brabo and Antigone can be found everywhere in the city.
There is even a huge statue showing the slain Antigone and Brabo holding the Giant's hand up in the air.
During the summer water comes out of Antigone's arm and disembodied hand to simulate the blood.

Another myth is much more famous since it rivals literary works like Dante's: Divina Comedia, according to a lot of experts.

I'm talking about the story of Reinaerdt the Fox (or perhaps stories)
while this is, in many ways, a fable set in the region of the province of Antwerp. It also gives a very panoramic view of the medieval society. It shows corrupt and powerhungry nobility and clergy, and only a criminal like Reinaerdt can outwit them.

The (real) story, while very entertaining, is not suitable for children (these days the story is relayed to children in a much more toned-down version. it has been 'disneyed' :angry: )

But really it does contain quite a few revolting, yet amusing, scenes.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #28
Milos
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
About war in Croatia...Serbia lost, cause today Croatia is independent from Serbia. There are many theories about what happened in this war, like:
- many of Croatian generals killed Serb's civilians who surrendered
- and on the other hand many Serbian soldiers did terible things to Croatian civilians (assault on Vukovar and such things)
That is true about bith sides saying their version of truth.And I to don't hate Croats because that was older generations war and not mine and we shouldn't live in the past and suffer the mistakes that our fathers and grandfathers made, I hope that other Serbs and Croats feal the same. k:
Milos is offline                         Send a private message to Milos
Old 11-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #29
Milos
Abandonia nerd

For Anubis where are you from if it is not a secret :bye:
Milos is offline                         Send a private message to Milos
Old 11-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #30
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hey I saw that casttle it was like the castle of Gulivair. Netr the port :w00t: