Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #51

I still remember it but haven't played it for some years, the best race is definitely dwarven, and the unit you'll get most out of are hammerhands they can beat anything easily and can be produced quickly.
Just choose myran, warlord, famous and charismatic (i think, the one where mercanaries cost half price), 4 or 5 books sorcery, and dwarwen.
Dwarven mine double of whatever resources you have, and you will have the first city almoust always by some resource if you are dwarven so you will have loads of money to buy mercenaries and game over, you win. Always keep one hero slot open so better can come, but you must not refuse heroes or they will be offered again, hire them and send them to die while they are still weak.
Have one army, couple of hammerhands and heroes who gain experiance, with warlord heroes get strong really quick.
I have played loads of games to try to have all six heroes extra rare, but i still think i have seen all but one, which never came.
I have actualy once found a file where all heroes where listed so thats how i know.
But palladins I have never found to be anything special, probably cause rarely played with human, warlocks are very good because of doombolt :w00t:

Old 01-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Feb 18 2005, 04:23 PM
wow you were right about the paladins ... they are very strong , i don't have a unit that can match their strength , one paladin destroyed 4 turtle dragons yikes

kind of weird , paladins don't seem that strong but in combat it seems they are very very strong
The palladins' strength is in their 'first strike' ability. They basicly get to deal all their damage before the enemy gets to strike back. So, the four figures would make 8(is this their attack, can't recall?), yeah, 8*0.4*4 ~= 13 damage. That damage is applied, and only then whoever remains gets to retaliate. IF someone remains! They also get magic immunity, so you can pretty much waltz to any ranged magical unit and beat the living hell out of them. Shamans or priests could very well beat even hammerhands if there are enough of them. But one palladin unit wipes the floor with them.

You have to be careful with units that have 'negate first strike' like pikemen, though. And also those with thrown, breath, etc. ability. That's what makes barbarians so kickass. They suck for building or money or research, but they get thrown attack, and if you train and enchant them up enough they can kill things really well.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #53
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I always focus on heroes with ranged attacks, then beef them up with some artifacts. Then just hit and run. Sometimes it's a bit tricky to stay out of reach of several drakes, and it's risky if your opponent starts casting cracks call, but otherwise this method works fine for me.

For abilities I almost always pick artificer, plus the one that lowers the casting cost and upkeep of summoned creatures.
Once I was lucky to find the right retorts when exploring ruins and such, providing me with a very profitable loop: create artifact, sell it for more than it costs you to cast it, etc. Of course it still costs time, but it was nice nonetheless.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #54
Dreadlord
[BANNED]

How many times did you die using that?

Just wondering....
Dreadlord is offline                         Send a private message to Dreadlord
Old 01-03-2005, 05:53 PM   #55
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest @ Mar 1 2005, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Feb 18 2005, 04:23 PM
wow you were right about the paladins ... they are very strong , i don't have a unit that can match their strength , one paladin destroyed 4 turtle dragons yikes

kind of weird , paladins don't seem that strong but in combat it seems they are very very strong
The palladins' strength is in their 'first strike' ability. They basicly get to deal all their damage before the enemy gets to strike back. So, the four figures would make 8(is this their attack, can't recall?), yeah, 8*0.4*4 ~= 13 damage. That damage is applied, and only then whoever remains gets to retaliate. IF someone remains! They also get magic immunity, so you can pretty much waltz to any ranged magical unit and beat the living hell out of them. Shamans or priests could very well beat even hammerhands if there are enough of them. But one palladin unit wipes the floor with them.

You have to be careful with units that have 'negate first strike' like pikemen, though. And also those with thrown, breath, etc. ability. That's what makes barbarians so kickass. They suck for building or money or research, but they get thrown attack, and if you train and enchant them up enough they can kill things really well.
Infact magic immunity provides immunity also againts all breath,gaze etc attacks...
That is why are paladins so strong.Units like drakes,chaos spawns etc..That kill almost every unit just with their gazes/breaths MUST enter melee attack with them.And in some causes(chaos spawn) is it their doom.Btw magic immunity enchantment is also resistent to dispel magic spells...
Sorcery Rulez!!! :brain:
Btw one advice to all ranged heroes players.Recuit some missle ranged heroes(tj with bow slot,fo example shuri...)And create bow with haste ability...They will be able to shot twice per turn .Unfortunetly you cant put haste enchantment on staff or wands...

Last edited by arete; 27-10-2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: html fixed
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #56
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Mar 1 2005, 06:39 PM
How many times did you die using that?

Just wondering....
Rarely. For me the earliest stages were always the most critical.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #57
caesar007
Forum hobbit

i used to play with barbarians all the time , but their thrown weapon is nothing when they fight paladins , i killed 9 berserkers with 2 or 3 paladins and no damage LOL , barbs are pretty weak later in the game even when behind a citywall , my tactic with barbs was usually to conquer some other races early on as soon as i got some decent army , so i could get a strong unit from another race

doombolts seem good for defense behind a wall , paladins can't attack them so if you place the doombolt where the opening in the wall is you are safe against certain attackers as long as no ranged attacks of course , but stagbeetles will destroy them and doombolts kind of suck if they attack , just my experience

for a wizard i love ariel or freya , maybe cause i don't like the other ones ... , but also cause of their spells in battle , paladin + iron skin and you have a unit that is almost unbeatable ... except indeed when you fight units with pierced armor like pikemen ... or ranged attacks with rocks

about heroes i am still thinking they are not that strong , but after a citywall they can kick behind with their ranged attacks esp if you have some other strong units to defend against melee attacks

i think overall you need a good strategy and there is no "unbeatable" unit , some are strong but they all have a weakness somewhere , even paladins or stagbeetles and i am sure warlocks have one too , you just need to find the right unit , same goes for the races , some are good early on and you need to use that advantage and others you want to make peace early on and wait for their "super unit"

but it's nice to hear strategies from others , i want to repeat my request though , is there anyone who can help me out with the multiplayer ... you can dl it from another site , the link is somewhere in this thread , but i am not sure how to do this and still looking for some players who want to try it too
caesar007 is offline                         Send a private message to caesar007
Old 02-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #58
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 2 2005, 11:14 PM
i used to play with barbarians all the time , but their thrown weapon is nothing when they fight paladins , i killed 9 berserkers with 2 or 3 paladins and no damage LOL , barbs are pretty weak later in the game even when behind a citywall , my tactic with barbs was usually to conquer some other races early on as soon as i got some decent army , so i could get a strong unit from another race

doombolts seem good for defense behind a wall , paladins can't attack them so if you place the doombolt where the opening in the wall is you are safe against certain attackers as long as no ranged attacks of course , but stagbeetles will destroy them and doombolts kind of suck if they attack , just my experience

for a wizard i love ariel or freya , maybe cause i don't like the other ones ... , but also cause of their spells in battle , paladin + iron skin and you have a unit that is almost unbeatable ... except indeed when you fight units with pierced armor like pikemen ... or ranged attacks with rocks

about heroes i am still thinking they are not that strong , but after a citywall they can kick behind with their ranged attacks esp if you have some other strong units to defend against melee attacks

i think overall you need a good strategy and there is no "unbeatable" unit , some are strong but they all have a weakness somewhere , even paladins or stagbeetles and i am sure warlocks have one too , you just need to find the right unit , same goes for the races , some are good early on and you need to use that advantage and others you want to make peace early on and wait for their "super unit"

but it's nice to hear strategies from others , i want to repeat my request though , is there anyone who can help me out with the multiplayer ... you can dl it from another site , the link is somewhere in this thread , but i am not sure how to do this and still looking for some players who want to try it too
Disadvantage of warlocks-they sucks in melee combat.If they met a unit with teleport/merging they are killed pretty quickly.That also counts on creatures with big movement.Also they are defenseless against magic immunity.So they dont stand a chance against paladins,giant wyrms,Storm Drakes(Most powerful unit in game,almost unbeatable)heroes or units with haste etc...
From my experiences best unit against paladin(except of heroes) are longbowmen and slingers or steam cannons if you are Myrran.They all have powerful non-magic range attack.Btw High Elven Longbowmen are probably one of the best unit in game-they are relativ cheap,you need just to build a sawmill to produce them and they are probably most powerful non-magical ranged unit.
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 03-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #59
dwarwen lover

Yessss
Slingers and Longbowmen are best ranged non magical units.

i love halflings if not myrran.

But what do you mean heroes are week ???
:blink:
I don't even bother much with non heroes.

Only one good equipes super hero kills all sky drakes you can throw.
Jaer the Wind Mage at the begining is excellent, and if you don't get him need to hire air ships to transport troops.

...Am I the only one who loves dwarven ?...

Old 04-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #60
Detah
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by caesar007@Mar 2 2005, 10:14 PM
Do you mean Warlocks? 'Doombolt' is not a unit; it is an attack. The Dark Elves' Warlocks have an attack called Doom Bolt. This is the same as the Chaos spell called, Doom Bolt.

In any case, I am not so sure that Warlocks make the best City defenders (or even good city defenders). Warlocks melee attack got nerfed in v1.2, ATT=1! You should definitely use something meatier to defend your cities. Just about every unit in the game is meatier than Warlocks, so you have alot to choose from. But if you absolutely must have a magic ranged attacker as a city defender, go with the High Men Magicians. They are the best ranged magic attack normal unit in the game. They also have 6 figures, so its not only a better magic ranged attack, but they are also a bit heartier.

Warlocks are still a great unit. They have the second best magic ranged attack RA=8.4 (second only to the Hgh Men Magicians RA=9.0). And on the first turn they can cast their Doom Bolt spell, for a guaranteed automatic 10 damage. I think the best use for Warlocks is as City siege units. They have Missile Immunity, so they have very little to fear from Bows and they have 4 DEF and 9 RES so they have above average defense against magical attacks. If you can give them Magic Immunity, Invisibility, Elemental Armor, Invulnerability or Lionheart, that would make them the ultimate city siege unit.
Detah is offline                         Send a private message to Detah