Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #61
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

well they are pushed by their bosses to meet their quota.

so it's not only sales fault for this. it's the planners :P
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #62
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Sep 10 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]310046[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
well they are pushed by their bosses to meet their quota.

so it's not only sales fault for this. it's the planners :P
[/b]
I do not really think one (or even many) can create a masterpiece in about a year or so, even if everything is planned down to the last second.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #63
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tulac @ Sep 10 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]310042[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kingdom Falls @ Sep 10 2007, 02:57 AM) [snapback]309956[/snapback]
Quote:
Well, for one there are a bunch of morons programming now. Those who wish destruction on the computer. They program it so BADLY that you have to wonder what is wrong with them. Take Windows Vista as an example. All it is is rehashed XP. In fact it still is technically in beta version. I believe that the best games I have played have been coded in C(which I am inferring is a low level language?). Like the game Noctis(look on Reloaded). It is 1 megabyte and contains a galaxy with explorable planets. PC gaming is only dying because there is too much money being thrown around. Face the facts, programmers make more money if the game is in development, than if it is completed well. Hence all of the patches. It is what is known as an insurance policy.
[/b]
You got it all wrong. Programmers are being pushed by irrational marketing and release dates set way to early, so many times they deliver a semi product because they don't have the time to develop the game. Why is every Blizzard's game a success? Because they develop games as long as they need to.
[/b][/quote]

But Blizzard is one of the few companies that receive enough funding and that people truly realize need time to properly develop a game, there's just too much disrespect to smaller companies, there aren't going to be any new emerging companies if every publisher or owner of those small companies pushes them to make their games quickly because they're not as reputable and they can't be bothered to waste as much time as money.

It basically means that any new entries into the industry are being killed solely because they're not well known, they never get a chance to make a good game because everyone rushes them for being new and having no record, and the bigger companies essentially get more attention from the general gaming public so they gain more and more, as smaller companies die out more and more.
In the future, it's going to cost so much to set up a new company or development studio that it'll be impossible for anyone to get into the industry other than being a employee of a already established massive studio.

It's practically turning into the film industry.

@Catz - I don't think people will realize that the games they're playing are crap, they never will, it was the same in the 80s and 90s, the only problem is these BIG companies that run everything because they're given all the time and money they need to make big budget games.
That's why people are complaining about the lack of good games and general lack of games "everywhere" essentially, because there aren't smaller titles being released by the side as much as they used to.
People need to stop pathetically worshiping their stupid favorite company (IE Bethesda, Blizzard, Valve, id, EA) and play games aside from the brand and name.

That won't happen, you are right Catz, the industry may be alive as far as the experts know on the basis of money and the number of people buying products, but the industry is dead and buried as far it comes to spirit and creativity.
There's no more room for the small guys, that's what MADE the industry in the 80s and 90s, ALL the small guys, all the time publishers and developers got because there weren't any guaranteed "win" companies that could make a pretty looking stupid game in a matter of a year or two and give you big bucks from the generic retard teenagers and gamers in their 20s.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #64
Forfeit
Forum hobbit

Well, but who said the games being released nowadays are that bad? Maybe they are made for a diferent generation that is not ours.

Just because we dont like them, doesnt mean they are that bad. Of course, there is a shitload of crap stuff, but sometimes something good comes out.

But I do agree: You have to give chances to smaller companies. For example, there is this 4X game called Galactic Civilizations 2 that is VERY good, but I rarely see it mentioned anyway. And the great thing is that they have a very good suport group.
Forfeit is offline                         Send a private message to Forfeit
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM   #65
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I've heard of Galactic Civilization II, so I went to my local PC store and sighted the first game (Galactic Civilization).

Played it, found it below average... So never bothered to look at the second one.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #66
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

^You shgould be cutten and half and digested by a bullsquid - GC we're awesome!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:25 AM   #67
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Ha! I'd play MOO over GC anytime. I don't see the interest, it's just like a clone of MOO but with a backstory I'm not interested with...
Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #68
12turtle12
Game freak

Perhaps part of the reason I didn't play GC2 on my PC is because it wouldn't work. Once again, something that should work, doesn't. MOO seems to work fine though...
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #69
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Galactic civilisations 2 didn't work? how come?

anyway i didnt' play the first but second one is a bit hard - the campaign mode (on a descent level). but it's nice if you dont' play the campaign mode. you can set all up and let the fight begin...

i like the animated battle sequence when two fleets fight. you can watch form every angle and it makes you like being there. also i think game has nice graphics (see some custom made ships that look like modeling masterpeice). and also diplomacy works good.

the thing is it is kind of hard to get an edge over other civs. and in campaign mode the oponent is way too powerfull. i mean they send one ship and it can not be stopped at all with all your fleets (mainy because you do not poses any weapons to do so le talone ships that could carry them). so if you ask me that is too freakin hard. i mean one of their socut ships destroy all of your, your allies and enemies armada and you are supposed to stop them?!?! send the armada in and then bring their frigate or cruiser or whatever and tear it appart.

but like i said the non campaign game is extremelly fun and quite addictive...

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 12-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #70
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

@gregor

You are NOT supposed to destroy the Dread Lord ships. That's why they are so powerful. If you read the story, you should know that they are a long lost civilization with power beyond imagination, so it's only natural you can't stop them. (Although I managed to kill one cruiser once. They killed 14 of my hugest and bestest battleships, but I managed to bring one down ) But the graphics is the lest important part of this game. The game mechanics, the gameplay, the different tactics and the virtually endless replay possibilities are the best stuff. If you haven't played the fist part, I suggest you do so. It's much easier, and you can learn the basics there

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh