Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Flop
Hero Gamer

I'm sure most people can agree that action movies made in the 80's are generally better than action movies made in other decades. Back then we had guys like Arnold, Sly and Chuck Norris (I know they're still around, but they don't seem to be making good movies anymore) beating up the bad guys. Look at what we have now: Vin Diesel.

I for one have been wondering for a number of years why it is that 80's action movies are just better, and recently I stumbled on this website, and guess what; these guys have found the answer. It basically amounts to Reagan in the white house, and a bunch of homoerotic undertones permeating those movies.

I know that most action movies aren't considered good, but let's be honest. Who among doesn't enjoy watching such movies as Commando, Bloodsport and Escape From New York, just to mention a few? (I realise some people doesn't enjoy them, but hopefully you're vastly outnumbered.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to discuss our favourite 80's action movies, and to show our support and undying love for these movies, the like of which will never come again.

I've already mentioned three of my favourites, but basically I like anything with Arnold (from the 80's mind you. I did not enjoy watching him get pregnant). The Rambo movies are also great fun, and I have to say that I had a lot of fun watching the American Ninja movies (they're as bad as they come ).
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
omg
Games Master

you missed the original die hard. that is like my faveorate all time action movie. (looking forwards to seeing brucie in sin city)
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 05-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

I dont see much of the movies from the 80's, so I watch the 30's-70's movies on TCM. I find them quite nice.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 05-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

You totally forgot Predator, Arnie's most stupid yet effective role. That's a top film too.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 05-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Chuck the plant
Game Wizzard

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
First Blood Part II
Terminator
Commando
Running Man
Predator (Hell, anything Arnold did in the 80's)
Rocky III (a movie with Hulk Hogan AND Mr. T in it can't b anything else than kickass)
Delta Force
Die Hard

Think those have to be my favourite 80's action movies, but there are a lot of other cool ones ("Cobra", "Raw Deal", "Red Dawn" to mention but a few...). No wonder I love them since I grew up with those.

And I have a totally different idea why they are so much better than those made today: Because they DIDN'T HAVE CRAPPY MATRIX-STYLE SLO-MO-FX ALL OVER THEM ALL THE TIME!!! :ranting:
Chuck the plant is offline                         Send a private message to Chuck the plant
Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
omg
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jun 5 2005, 03:16 PM
Rocky III (a movie with Hulk Hogan AND Mr. T in it can't b anything else than kickass)
2 right!! k: LOL
Old 05-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
lethe
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Jun 5 2005, 02:52 PM
I know that most action movies aren't considered good, but let's be honest. Who among doesn't enjoy watching such movies as Commando, Bloodsport and Escape From New York, just to mention a few? (I realise some people doesn't enjoy them, but hopefully you're vastly outnumbered.
I might be outnumbered, but I'm too damn good, so that's compensated. :bleh:

For me to like a movie, it needs a good producer, a excellent script and at least one character that captures my attention. I can watch everything from horror to romances, but it needs those to succeed. Weirdly enough, I find Bruce Willis' action movies rather interesting ("The Last Boy Scout", "The 5th Element", "Die Hard"), but I hate "Pulp Fiction" and all the other "Die Hard"s. Also Van Damme's, Chuck Norris', Arnold's, and anything Stallone related (except "Demolition Man") are really not my type.
lethe is offline                         Send a private message to lethe
Old 05-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Flop
Hero Gamer

Fair enough, although I wouldn't excactly say that the Die Hard movies have excellent scripts (terrorists plan to spread death and destruction and make a lot of money. John McClane miraculously saves the day each time). Don't get me wrong, I think they're good, too, especially the first one. But that's the beauty about 80's action movies, they don't need good scripts, they just need a vigilante cop/ex-marine/enraged father and a whole lot of killing. That's what makes them shine, and that's what makes Die Hard shine.

Maybe you just haven't watched a lot of 80's action movies?

I refuse to believe you like Demolition Man and not Terminator or Commando.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe@Jun 5 2005, 05:37 PM
...and anything Stallone related (except "Demolition Man") are really not my type.
Well Rambo (the first one) was excelent, and there's also Oscar (the mafia comedy...). Those two are IMHO the best Stalone movies ever (although except for Silvester they have nothing else in common).

The general feeling about the 80's action movies...
Well it was an era before the real political corretness, the era of macho men,...
This is also show in movies. People didn't giva a damn if a part of the movie was to violent and they didn't care if it would offend this or that minority (from the local women-for-proprer-grammar society, to the freaky grasshopper lovers of the Island of never-happy-land).
So in these movies (like earlier in the gangster flicks of the 30's) you get the hard macho types as the good guys. They are deep at some point (about 3% of the movie), but badass :karate: :guns: :Titan: kindda guys for the rest of the movie.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 05-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
omg
Games Master

i never met anyone that didnt like terminator before. t3 i hate and i know im not alone in thaT. but t1 was the all time classic.