Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
mleue

I tried to download several games (that had the WinXP logo) and play them, but every time I tried to open one, it said I needed to extract the files. If I ignore this, it says files are missing. If I extract the files, it gives me an error message "incorrect parameter." What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Just Download Dos-Box from this site
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

:eeeeeh: You did... what?

Jeez... this goes on my private list of stupid things people do when they don't know a thing about computers.

1. You cannot play the games from inside ZIP archives, dummy! What the hell made you even try doing that???

2. Don't stick with the craptastic unpacker M$ put into Win XP. WinRar is a thousand times better.

3. The fact that the game doesn't have XP logo doesn't mean it cannot be played in Windows - that's where VDMSound and DosBox come in.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by mleue@Apr 5 2006, 04:59 PM
If I ignore this, it says files are missing. If I extract the files, it gives me an error message "incorrect parameter." What am I doing wrong?
Which extraction program are you using? If you are indeed using the builtin version of Windows XP you'd better switch to something better such as (indeed) WinRAR of (my favourite) 7-zip.

The thing is, the gamefiles are put into an archive which is compressed (to preserve download time and bandwidth). In order to play it you have to let the extraction program know in which folder you want the game to be 'put' into. After you've extracted the files, browse to the folder you specified and startup the game.

The startup procedure for each game differs, but usually there's a single .exe of .bat file that you have to run. Otherwise there's a technical note at the bottom of the review, most of the times k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 06-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Apr 6 2006, 07:28 AM
Jeez... this goes on my private list of stupid things people do when they don't know a thing about computers.
Ease up, horseman, and be nice to the noob. Which he obviously is.

He's right though, mleue, WinRAR is simply the best when it comes to unpacking. After you've downloaded WinRAR and DosBOX, from this site, do what the thers told you.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder
Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

doesnt matter i think
in my opinion its all the thing of habitutaton, if you use winrar then you say its best (by the way i use winrar too )
for example winAce s grat program too but uhm.. i would never use unpacker built in winXP =P