Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #26
Saccade
[BANNED]

[this is a very long way of saying, "but it's kinda free anyway."]

Dude - I have recently built a PC, old-skool IDE and stuff, and tried to get Win98, Win95+Dos and Dos 6.22/7.10 to run on it.

It's a fucking nightmare, I had forgotten how slow everything was and how impatient I have become.
Not only did I have to contend with switching memories for different games, loading cd/mouse/graphics/scsi/sound drivers for each one (as they all require different ones and to get the memory free - 32Mb - was difficult at times), I had to go out and buy a whole new load of hardware.

None of the post 98 stuff really worked with earlier OS...
Then, it's locating drivers for all that new gear and getting that to work. And nothing's as simple as that - no USB (without hassle), so all on CD's, disc, network (which is hassle) or physical hard-drive to copy data.

No Wireless...

Believe me, it was a joy when I finally installed Win 3.11, so I had a decent GUI (not that Commander isn't great...) to organise my discs.

And in gaming terms - Other emulators tend to suck, as the games sucked in the first place.
I've got a megadrive and a 3DO and the PC em's are shit, imo. If Dosbox is an emulator, then it's pretty good at replicating that's out for the thing it's emulating, as it's practically the same.
Other emulators are using totally different hardware. FreeDO sucks worse than 3DO. At least you have the original gaming stuff with the console.
DosBox is pretty much designed for games...
It's way easier, more compatible and stable and less hassle than Dos.

So, seriously - Why the fuck would you want Micro$oft to release some code from some OS that we all left quite willingly for better functionality, just to try and shrink Bill's man-balls a bit?
Especially when you and I *both* know that we can get it for free, anyway.
Not that Abandonia or anyone who uses it condones that sort of behaviour, sonny jim.

His nuts are so big, we can chisel hardened pieces of excess, accidentally made (only for the sake of preserving and examining the code) software off them, and he doesn't even notice.
(ie - this is my first ever, legitimate copy of Windows, ever. And that's only cos I got it from work. Bill Gates never noticed *my* little indiscretion with his lope-de-lope, I don't think.)

Last edited by Saccade; 31-10-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: swore a few times.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade