Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #311
Kaaleppi

Quote:
Originally posted by Miz+Jan 9 2006, 07:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Miz @ Jan 9 2006, 07:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Guest@Oct 15 2005, 09:07 PM
ok. I´ve been trying now for 7 hours. I´ve read everything. I´ve tried everything. But nothing works.
If I use the underdogs version, the archive seems to be broken and gives a cryptic error message.
(X#=0D, CS=01AF IP=000014DF.NTVDM-CPU) This happens with cmd and VDM.
If I try the abandonia version there are many nice options to get the game not working:
1. If I just klick the exe, a black prompt pops up and closes again. (What did i suspect?!)
2. If I use VDM...same thing (ok, the prompt stays, but saying nothing)
3. If I use DosBox it runs, but is very slow (with or without sound).
4. If I try the suggested *.bat file (with the renamed Dos32a.exe, nolfb & clinop(here could be the mistake, i´m not sure if i´m doing this right, just extracting the "bin" archive into the blood folder and then adding the command to the *.bat?) ) it says "0 occurences".
5. If I try the same thing without clinop under XP, a prompt opens, there´s a beep and it closes again. With VDM, there´s a huge error messagse (looking like the good old Blue Screen of Death, but in Black)
6. Some of the last errors seem to be connected to the new dos4gw. (if I replace it with the original, the errors mentioned further above ocurre again )
7. If I try to run setup.exe with VDM it says "Spawn Error=0"

Does anyone have an idea what to do and where to begin?
I'm in pretty much the same boat you are.
As for the Underdogs version, it is compressed in UHARC 0.2 . Don't ask me why, because it was compressed in 2001, and makes about 5 megs difference from a rar, but I guess it adds 1337 brownie points. Especially because no version of UHARC is backwards compatible with older versions (since it's compressed with 0.2, it has to be extracted with 0.2, which became outdated in, like, 97 I think). So you need to cancel out of the annoying auto-install, and try to save the "blood.uha" file. You can delete "unpack.bat". Open the "uharc.exe" with DOSbox. Type "uharc x blood.uha", and set the dosbox cycles up really high because UHARC 0.2 takes about an hour to extract 25 megs.
Now, my only problem is that I actually used to be able to run Blood fine with the "BuildXP" set up and dos32a. Then one day, it just stopped working. At that point in time, I didn't have much time to deal with it, so I just deleted it. After a reformat, I found myself missing the Blood experience, and it's playing like I never deleted it. I d/led the version here at Abandonia to make sure it wasn't just the OUWB version, and same problem. DOSBox, it runs choppy as hell, but includes the music and everything. Anything else though, it goes to a blank black screen and closes out.
Any ideas? [/b][/quote]
Ahoy!!

Here´s something I wrote page or two earlier:

" People! worshippy.gif

Please forgive me my bad english but I have to show you two diffrent ways how to play and how to instal blood.

First, if you have troubles to play, why don´t you buy a second hand PC?
See, blood works great even with 150/32/some videocard PC.

I know that personally because i have that kind of PC, allright. biggrin.gif

Second, when you extract blood file´s, use WIN ACE (this is not a commercial break).
See, I had lots of trouble with blood, when I open and installing blood files some other "extractor".
With WIN ACE, blood works great! ok.gif

And now, when I use those other "extractors", they open files, I see the map, I could PLAY Blood directly when I use SETUP but I can´t play Blood when use the Blood IMAGE.

Then, when I use WinAce, I can make set up right, but I can´t play it direct with that setup but I can play it direct with Blood IMAGE! Yeah! laughing.gif

If this help´s someone, I am very glad, and yes, I KNOW my language is horrible, but that is because a) I got fired of my school and cool.gif because I am not an Einstein.. biggrin.gif

I´m living in Finland and I can tell you one thing for shore - There is NOT IceBears ! icon_dubious.gif

Now, bye bye and all the best all of you people! cheers.gif

Yours,

Kaaleppi

Top :angel:

Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #312
Miz

Thanks, Kaaleppi, for the WinAce suggestion. However, I do use WinAce, and that didn't get the Abandonia version to run. Moreover, the version I'd like to get running was compressed into UHA, which is something WinAce can't handle, let alone version-specific UHA.
As for the other suggestion, I have an old pure-DOS Tandy 486 that I've been meaning to break out recently, this may be a perfect reason to do so. All my other older computers I did something with to permanently screw them up.
But, as I like taking the easy way out of everything, easy meaning less physical work, I'm thinking of making the computer I'm currently using boot into pure DOS. Now, I have no experience with pure DOS on newer computers, so what kind of fun problems would I be able to find myself with if I were to do that? And, even if I were to do so, would it make any difference from using a DOS emulator?

Old 20-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #313
CyberWasted

:help: Greetings, just d/loaded this awsome piece of fps nostalgia to find the game graphics quality far below those that are depicted in the screen shots. Im running Windows XP with NVIDIA Geforce FX 64 MB and was wanting to know if the ken silverman patch will work? Anyone else had success using similar system? Also had trouble locating the patch on his site. Do you use the Duke 3D patch to attain high resolution? Any help much appreciated

Old 20-01-2006, 05:27 AM   #314
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Use DosBox
Old 22-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #315
pete4218

Finally got that great game running.
Thank to all of your guys who posted the mods that are needed to make this game running on Win XP !!!!

Already tried ot on beginning of 2005 - but at this time I didn't find this great site.

If you still got problems running that game on XP - just follow the step-by-step tutorial found on this site:

http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

You may have to adjust the settings of your sound card (as I had to do to get sound) - that depends on the soundcard in your PC. Think most of the modern PC's got a on-board sound - and those things are tricky... but anyway - it works well for me with res. of 640 x 480....

Ah - and by the way - DOS-Box didn't work for me at all - think my 2,66 Gig P4 isn't fast enough to get this game to work....

Enjoy !!!!
pete4218 is offline                         Send a private message to pete4218
Old 28-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #316
pete4218

Wondering if someone is still reading this thread.... anyway - I checked and tried further on - found out that the Abandon-Download is Version 1.0. Even I had the original CD I've downed it and updated it with the patch from the Monolith Homepage to Version 1.10 (the R0011.exe-Patch).

I also was reading through other Forums and found an interesting thread how to get the game running on higher resolutions than 640 x 480. It was linked to a patch vor Nvidia-Graphic cards mainly, which was patching the vga.sys file of Windows XP. Here's a copy of this post:

Quote:

I can't update the site at the moment so I'm posting these new steps I added to my xp help documents:

VGA FIX
Higher Resolutions like 800 x 600: If you receive the error "Frequency out of Range" from your monitor or it shutsdown to sleep mode or if the game drops out. You can try the following workaround. It patchs the vga.sys file of Windows XP to allow higher resolutions. You can uninstall the patch if it causes problems. Its primarly for Nvidia cards. CAUTION: I Advise you to stick with 640x480 for now and get your sound setup first, then come back to these steps. I say this because the patch can effect the overall performance of your BUILD Game and can degrade the Sound. It will ultimatly make the steps for setting up the sound to be inacrute. EX: your sound maybe really fine but this patch can make it seem broken. So skip down to "Sound Setup" and come back when your running nice.

1 - Now RE-Configure the games Setup Options (from setup.exe)
Video Resolution - Set to 800x600(Vesa)* or 1024x768(Vesa)
2 - You'll need to download the VGAFIX program.(vgafix.exe)
3 - Run it and follow the instructions provided for installation.
4 - Restart your system
5 - Run your game
6 - You should now be running your game at 800x600 with questionable performance. If your not running at the quality you prefer, re run vgafix.exe to uninstall the patch and restart your system. Then stick with 640x480

Resolution higher than 640 x 480 will have a noticeable drop and response to your game. This is the result of not having a completely compatible set of VESA 2.0/3.0 Drivers and the use of NOLFB.COM. Since Ken Silverman's tool drops VESA support down to v1.2 we loose the vital linear framebuffer mode used for higher end DOS games such as your BUILD Game.
Write to your Video Card Maker and tell them you need VESA 2.0 and 3.0 supported in there Windows XP Drivers. Tell them the exact Build Games you want to run. Give them as much detail as you can. In there eyes they are seeing VESA(2D) phasing out so why support it on modern systems.

You can download the VGAFIX from:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopi...659&highlight=

I'll update the complete document asap.
I downed and executed this patch, then started Blood again (with all the modifications described on the Build on XP-Page), changed the Resolution while the Game was running (after patching to Version 1.10 you can change the Res. from the Options-Menu within the game itself) and IT WORKED !!!!! :Brain:

After playing around with different Resolutions I quit the game and restarted it later on - and the damn old "Out of Sync" error was back....

Tried to de- and re-install this patch - tried nearly every setting, even re-installed the game and applied the patches from scratch - but can't get it to work anymore...... I changed nothing on Windows or other Progs.... but I still assume that WinXP somehow messed this up..... Now I'm not experienced enough to investigate why it worked once - and then simply doesn't work anymore..... I even have some screenshots which prove that the game was running on a resolution of 1600 x 1200......

Anyone got an idea what happened - and how it could be fixed???

I'm running the game on a P4, 2,66 Gig, Geforce TI 4200, OS Win XP Home, SP1, with the NOLFB Vesa fix and the VDMSound as a kick-starter...

Any help or hint would be very appreciated....

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Peter
pete4218 is offline                         Send a private message to pete4218
Old 23-02-2006, 04:09 AM   #317
Mortally

I remember playing the Blood demo to death back when it was first released. This game is truly great -- I'd play it over most of the new games today.

Here's to hoping for a Blood III in the works. k:
Mortally is offline                         Send a private message to Mortally
Old 24-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #318
Calamity
Game freak

We'd also have to hope that Blood 3 would make up for Blood 2. While I did enjoy the sequel as a game, it just didn't have the same charm as the original.
Calamity is offline                         Send a private message to Calamity
Old 24-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #319
a15drian
Game freak

Send a message via MSN to a15drian

1st BLOOD is cool the 2nd not so cool and the 3rd didn't played yet well does blood 3 exist
Old 24-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #320
Calamity
Game freak

Nah Blood 3 is nonexistant at the moment. It would be pretty slick if they made it though.
Calamity is offline                         Send a private message to Calamity