Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > The ISO Cellar > 0-9
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco
Default 9 - The Last Resort

9 - The Last Resort

Info: MobyGames

Download(s):
Uploaded by: Ermuli

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 19-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
CaiusCaligula

I'm having trouble finding a way to play the CD. Is there any way I could fix the .exe so it stops looking for the CD? Or direct it to the right drive?
CaiusCaligula is offline                         Send a private message to CaiusCaligula
Old 19-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

OS? 32-64? Install procedure? Choices? Virtual CD drive? Real CD dive? Color of your underwear?

One thingy I already can tell you, it's an ol'W95 game, and it runs flawless in VPC/W98SE on modern hardware.

There are some work around to make it run directly on a newer OS but I really can't advise this.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 19-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
CaiusCaligula

Default 9 - The Last Resort

Okay...

Used the ISO and put it into UltraISO. Used compatibility mode with win 95 and with win 98. It's windows 7, vanilla as it gets, no bells and whistles there. Since it was a problem with finding the CD, I didn't think my OS mattered, and it installed clean, with quick time. The problem comes from me being unable to play the game after installing it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it twice, and then started it up to play.

Both times, got the result "Please mount the CD and try again."

In fact, no matter what I do, I get "Please mount the CD and try again." I've tried changing drive letters, adding the .SFV file to the ISO directory, and just about every trick I know. They don't have a no CD crack anywhere, so I'm at the end of my tether. I have no CD burner, so I can't do that. Any thoughts?

Last edited by CaiusCaligula; 19-11-2010 at 07:48 PM.
CaiusCaligula is offline                         Send a private message to CaiusCaligula
Old 19-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

The CD image drive letter MUST be the first CD drive.
The game doesn't look for a specific drive letter, it always looks in the FIRST CD drive.

In other words, if you have HDs C: and D: your CD image drive letter MUST be E:\
Your Virtual drive must have a drive letter lower then your real CD drive.
Must be the first.

Capiche?

If all fails, you really should use VPC/W98SE, then you can mount the ISO directly in VPC, easily, as first CD drive.

[Edit]
BTW, does UltraIso come with a virtual CD drive????? Or do you open the CD image in UltraIso and try to run it from within UltraIso ???????

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 19-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 19-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
CaiusCaligula

UltraISO does come with virtual CD drives. You set them up in the options menu. I'd been playing Starship Titanic for a while (after replacing one significant file, it runs like a dream in vista compatibility mode) and when I found the ISO vault and that the Abandonia servers are down, I decided to resume my almost decade-long search for 1) a copy of 9 and 2) a way to play it. I apologize if my tone was harsh.

Oh...also, I can't get VPC, as I only have Windows 7 Home Premium, not pro.

Last edited by CaiusCaligula; 19-11-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

That Starship Titanic runs says nothing about 9- the last ressort, nothing at all, really.

Again:
Is your Virtual CD drive the FIRST optical drive?

And VPC will run in Win7 home, did it on a friends PC, simply ignore the warning messages.

BTW, I don't have the image from AB, I have the original disk, so I'll have to ask you for some details.

Is there a setup32 folder on the CD?
In that folder a setup.exe?

After setup do you have a nine_95.exe ?

[Edit]
Now that I think about it there should be a 16 bit version (Win3.x) of the game on the CD, should run in dosbox/W3.x.
Maybe I'll give that a look later, can be interesting to know if it can run in dosbox/W3.x.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 19-11-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
CaiusCaligula

in order:

Yes, I've tried that several times. The optical drive is set to Drive L. The virtual is set to drive J. It seems to have needed to be installed on the virtual drive while it was the higher drive, and that seems to have fixed it. Which is weird, considering it didn't do that last night.

Weirdly enough, this still isn't the most arduous process I've ever gone through to get a game to run.
Old 19-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
dosraider
Dismembered.

CaiusCaligula, that's one of the newer problems with Win7, you sometimes 'see' a lower drive letter whilst in reality in the system it's still another one. Win7 sometimes lies, you could say.

Eventually another solution for those on a modern OS: Dosbox 0.74+Win3.x.
The game runs fine in it and you can mount the ISO directly as D:

Use setup16.exe in dosbox+Win3.x and allow quicktime to install, game won't run without it.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
Old 20-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
CaiusCaligula

Actually, I know how to change the drive letters and make it stick. Dosbox and win 3.x is what I'm going to use from now on, though. I don't want to have to trek to mount fucking Doom and back every time I play this game.