Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #41
U-Boat Commander David
Abandonia nerd

I think the 100 posts restriction in the ISO forum sucks. <_<

Whats the point of this?

U-Boat Commander David is offline                         Send a private message to U-Boat Commander David
Old 18-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #42
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

I'm not sure. I told Kosta I wasn't in favor it. I only have under 20 posts myself.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan
Old 18-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #43
JJXB
Pi-voh

100 does sound too much but i think you should have to work to get into the ISO subforum (i.e. at least 50 posts)
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 19-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #44
InsaneFury
Forum hobbit

Oh great, another forum deciding that ISO's are the greatest good and therefore should be protected from being spread to the public. It's better to enforce the min. post count of 100 post, just so you know leechers will either stay out, or spam the forum like crazy... :P
InsaneFury is offline                         Send a private message to InsaneFury
Old 19-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #45
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

The main drawback of having this 100 post restriction is that the ISO list won't grow as fast. The other problem is that posting and contributing is not proportional; that is to say, some of the best contributers hardly post at all. I'd drop the restriction, or at least lower it considerably. Since only moderators can start new topics anyway I don't see why this extra level of security is really necessary.

Just something I just noticed on the member list: there are 221 pages of members if you display 40 members on each page. Of those 221 pages only about 5 pages (200 users) have access to this forum as it is.

Anyway, I'm sure Tom or Kosta will review this soon. Hopefully.
Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan
Old 19-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #46
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gargantuan Orangutan @ Dec 8 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]270914[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Here's just a few ISOs we're looking to add (as long as they check out):

The Case of the Cautious Condor
[/b]
:brain:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gargantuan Orangutan @ Dec 18 2006, 12:24 AM) [snapback]271943[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Ermuli, who has uploaded most of the files to the listing has used http://mihd.net/ now and I've tried it out as well. For the most part it has been working well, but recently we've had problems with it. I mentioned rapidshare to him and he doesn't like it at all because of the long waiting times. Coupled with the lack of resume, I still don't see the appeal in it. It's theoretically good, but in practice, I don't think it holds up.

We also tried megashare recently. We most likely won't be using that again. Requires too much maintenance to keeps the links active.
[/b]
Which now?
Old 19-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #47
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

So, where do I need to postfarm to get that min amount? Ugh... Really, there should be some criteria but not damn post counter (perhaps by date you have registered or something), some people just post rarely when they really have something to say, still they are there and active. Kinda... meh... rly...
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 19-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #48
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I agree that post count isn't the ultimate solution, as I'm worried it will lead to a spam fest now that everybody know there's a semi-hidden forum.
I'm not sure what the idea is, to have such criteria. One solution would be to add it to the VIP section, but since the ISOs are merely linked, not hosted, I'd say that would be unneccessary and slightly uncalled for. After all, the ISO section adds greatly to what AB has to offer us "Smiths and Jones'.

Another solution could be to have "contribution count" the same way as we have post count. After 1 contribution 20. 50 or whatever, be it uploads, reviews or translations, you'd be granted access. Of course, this would be a VIP look-alike, and I'm not sure if there's any point in having two VIP lounges.
Old 19-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #49
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

There are many reasons for the 100+ post requirement.

1. It is a service we provide to contributing members of this forum. It's is meant to serve as a carrot, so that more members get active on the forum.

2. It makes sure that we won't get a million new members with 0 posts. We have enough 0 posters as it is, and don't really need more.

3. People who spam for the sole purpose of getting access to the ISO forum, will be kicked out. 100 posts are not that hard to obtain, and when a member reach that sum by helping out and being generally active on the forum, we feel very confident that the same person will also A ) follow the rules in the ISO forum, and B ) continue to be helpful within the ISO forum, and help it to grow, instead of just downloading free CD Images.

4. It is really worth the effort of getting 100 posts, to obtain access to that forum.
Old 19-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #50
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Ok Tom, I see your point. I just felt it a bit silly that say, I would get access when I really haven't contributed all that much, while others that have contributed, would need to post to gain access. Maybe a combination of these criteria could be arranged then? To be honest: It is nice to be able to access it, but it would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable knowing the real contributors also get access.