Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Pex
Game Wizzard

Default Celtic Tales - how to make sound effects work?

I run this game in dosbox and I set my cicles to 20000. Game speed is good and music plays very well (although I turn it off cause it's annoying), but sound effects won't work. They're there, but they're too fast and nothing they should be.

I played the game ages ago on my 486 and I know I had to meddle with autoexec.bat, to set some buffers or something, but if I remember correctly, that was just to see the final animation, after you kill Balor.

And I know you can play the game without sound effect perfectly, but I really used to like them. I remember that yawning sound when you order a hero to rest always annoyed my sister

So, can anyone help me?
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Did you run the game's sound setup? Set it to Sound Blaster, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Adress 220.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

if they're too fast try turning cycles down? you can use ctrl f11 for that
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The way you worded your post tend to suggest to me that you are not using the last DOSBox version.

Did you try ver. 0.72?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Pex
Game Wizzard

I'm using 0.72 version.

Game runs normally with the set number of cycle (music, speed of heroes, animations, etc). It's just that sound effects don't work right.

As for the sound setup, it only gives you possibillity to select different sound cards (and there I select Sound Blaster), not addresses or channels.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

ahh i remember now. there were other people having "problems" with sound of our version of celtic tales in games discussion. this is a rip. there are practically no sounds except some walking ones, that sound like when you put a popcorn inside your bicycle wheel
Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
Pex
Game Wizzard

Hmm, I never tried to put a popcorn inside my bycicle wheel, but I imagine sound would've been similar to what I hear in the game.

So, I guess, there's no point playing with settings, sound effects just won't happen? A pitty. I wonder if I would be able to dig out my old copy of the game...
Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 AM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i believe you could also find some copies around the net if you look properly=P
Old 22-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Thx to guest ixltixl for his post, I tried it and it works
IRQ=5 yeah baby

And I was sure that I uploaded the old version I had and there were sound effects on old Pentium. Now that I think of it, it was always strange why default SB setting for IRQ in DOSBox is 7, because in Serbia in times of Pentiums and 486s, we all used 5. I thought that is default, that only some games use 7 for whatever reason. Later when I got used to DOSBox, I start thinking that it doesn't really matter, but I'm glad to see 5 again, it does bring back some memories.

(Naturally I still have no clue what IRQ is, I guess it takes only one step - search it on the net, but I'll leave it this way for now)
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 22-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

7 is more common in my experience.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman